Mythomania May 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
okayyy... taking a break for few hours. I have about 6,000 words right where I want them, and about another 3,500 to revise - but if I don't get back to them, they should be alright.

My shoulder hurts :(

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
ETA: It just occurs to me - ironically, are we the best-behaved group on the boards? Have any of us ever been time-out-ed? I don't think we have... In fact it's quite possible that we're so busy causing mayhem that we've never even been issued a nasty-gram!

We crime writers get so much stress relief through murdering. We should share the knife.

I killed off two major characters in my WIP early this morning. 702 words. Guess I'm going to be needing more people, I only had five majors. Where IS this story going?

knightrunnermat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.horseracinghottie.com
I added 3,247 words to my WIP yesterday. Not all new words, but new to the current work. I found some of my main characters showing up in the short story I had been working on and I decided that it was actually just a different scene from my novel.

Not quite on pace for 30,000 words for the month yet, but yesterday's plethora of words helped get me close. A couple more good days and I will be back where I want to be.

Oh, and my WIP is currently at 29,734 words. The goal is 70,000.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote about two pages yesterday. I'm not super fond of them, but they'll do.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
644 words--

and more research, this time finding a lovely private estate to house the victim's funeral. I discovered a Georgian revival manor home going for a steal for just shy of ten mil, if anyone is house hunting. ;) I love the real estate listings for finding interesting settings.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
644 words--

and more research, this time finding a lovely private estate to house the victim's funeral. I discovered a Georgian revival manor home going for a steal for just shy of ten mil, if anyone is house hunting. ;) I love the real estate listings for finding interesting settings.

I'll have it! Thank you! I'll have it!

Ten million what, exactly...

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
8:00 a.m. here and so far 1770 words. Morning writing is almost as good as morning sex. (I'm trying to get wrist-slapped, as I've not yet had the pleasure--will that line do it or do I need to get more specific?)

I skipped ahead, screw the missing chunk. It can stay missing for now; we'll revisit each other in Revision #1. I'm to the really fun part now, and a good bit of me wants to keep writing all day until my brain chemicals are depleted and it'll be all I can do to gnaw a bit of string cheese and watch South Park on hulu with half attention and blurred vision. The other part of me says, "quit, be fresh tomorrow, don't burn out." That's the mystery for this writer today: ride the wave or not?

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
8:00 a.m. here and so far 1770 words. Morning writing is almost as good as morning sex. (I'm trying to get wrist-slapped, as I've not yet had the pleasure--will that line do it or do I need to get more specific?)

It's not a wrist slap you need to worry about if morning writing is better than morning sex.:roll:

350 words today, and each one of 'em hurt! *Mutter. Mutter*

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

Oh wait. Am I supposed to do something about that?

::puts on stern modly face::

::can't do it, breaks up laughing::

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, so it has to be insults? Um, "all your mothers swim after troop ships" kind of insults? Can't work myself up to those, so I'll have to stay unchastised.

Can't stop writing. 3788 so far today. Man, I'm going to pay for this later.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

Oh wait. Am I supposed to do something about that?

::puts on stern modly face::

::can't do it, breaks up laughing::

Oh, well this is clearly why we don't get banninated...

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow. Just wow. Does your shoulder hurt?

No, I'm typing. Were I writing, I'd be in awful pain. Realize, this is still post-block eruptive writing. recipe: Spend four months staring at the screen...then start daydreaming about this thing you'd rather be writing....try to force yourself to stick with the first project, do more staring at the screen. Write, backspace, curse, repeat for four months. Keep daydreaming about the more attractive project. This is just the aftermath of that. Sort of like getting the runs after four months of constipation.

Cringing, awaiting the dreaded "poop ban."

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Four reasons for this post. One, I wrote 1,046 words today, some of which may even be in the right order. ;)

Two, this means I met my target of 10k for the month, giving me a lovely total of 40k so far four months into the first draft. Woo hoo! :hooray:

Three, I'm off on holiday tomorrow and will be back at the end of the month. I'm without internet - it isn't a holiday unless you aren't, goshdarnit - so I will bid you au revoire until then. I'll be watching highly paid athletes try not to kill themselves while also trying drive an eight foot wide car down a ten foot wide street at 180mph.

The fourth reason is the soppy one. I only joined AW at the start of this month and gravitated toward MTS almost immediately. I really didn't think I was going to meet my May target, but this place and this thread kept me going even on the days I wrote nowt but twenty-two terrible words (that was last Sunday, in case you're wondering). The only things to say are THANK YOU and ROLL ON JUNE! :banana:

:)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, that's great, onesecond. :)

I wrote two pages of handwritten sorting-out today. I have a clearer picture of the backstory, the characters, where I'm going from here, and who has to die. Excellent.

Also I wrote two sort-of words: "Chapter 10." That kind of counts. Right?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
awww. onesecondglance is so nice. Being new to the thread this month, I can't take much credit, but I thought he was very sweet there, and right. It's good to have support.

And as far as I'm concerned, "Chapter 10" can count as 250 words if it ends up taking up a whole page. :) I myself start every new doc with a word count to that point, and I count that as a word (or, I don't subtract it). "Chapter 10" is Nobel Prize material in comparison.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Also I wrote two sort-of words: "Chapter 10."

That kind of counts. Right?

No. :tongue

I used to count them as words, but since I've started using Scrivener, I do not.

Therefore, no one else can either. :evil

You can, however, count the hand written back story. Approximate guesses are acceptable so long as you are within one order of magnitude. :Lecture:

For example, I wrote 746 words today, or approximately within one order of magnitude, 9000 words. ;)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I totally count chapter headings. Totally.

ETA: Managed quite a bit today. Started a rewrite of the Evil Novel of Doom, which has actually been pretty enjoyable so far. I had at least 1000 new words today on that with I'm adding in scenes and rewriting some existing ones. Only a couple of chapters in, but I'm jumbling up the scenes so it's hard to really say how much I've done total.

Also, about 600 words on the new book. Woohoo! Next scene is going to be the first one from the bad guy's perspective. Ought to be interesting.

Last edited:

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Poopalooza! The most interesting word I've written today. No morning sex either, damn it.

Have a good break, onesecond!

Chapter 10 may not belong with the word count, Jude, but to reach 10 chapters carries clout.

Wrote a new beginning, all 460 words of it. The dead-end passages left to stew for a little. Sat up last night reading about Freud's Uncanny because this story needs to be full of it.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
145 words this morning. I'm slowing down. I think I need more thinking time, rather than writing time.:Shrug:

Have a great holiday, onesecond.