Status
Not open for further replies.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
So does this mean Amazon will no longer host publisher blurbs written by authors?

Personally, I only use Amazon reviews for two things: a) deciding if a book is eligible for review on my website, and b) as an opportunity to indulge in a little "See? I'm right!" about a book I either loved or hated -- after I've read it.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I'm curious whether anyone here can comment on this:

http://www.blackgate.com/2012/12/27/sff-corruption-part-i/

Quoted: "I can assure those who find this policy to be unjustified and unfair that it is absolutely and completely necessary due to the corruption, both professional and ideological, that is rife within the publishing industry in general and the SF/F industry in particular."

EDIT: To anyone reading this thread later, everyone below seems to agree that the guy I linked to is ridiculous and not to be taken seriously, which I am SO grateful to know (thanks again, everyone!). Carry on. :)

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score

Quoted: "I can assure those who find this policy to be unjustified and unfair that it is absolutely and completely necessary due to the corruption, both professional and ideological, that is rife within the publishing industry in general and the SF/F industry in particular."

Yeah... that's Theodore Beale aka Vox Day, and the "professional and ideological corruption" he's talking about basically boils down to: "Chicks be voting themselves awards that rightfully should go to men."

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I take exception to the SF/F comment.

I see more of this stuff in YA and Romance than I do in true SF/F. (I do not count Stephanie Meyers crap as fantasy...)

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Yeah... that's Theodore Beale aka Vox Day, and the "professional and ideological corruption" he's talking about basically boils down to: "Chicks be voting themselves awards that rightfully should go to men."

Oh wow, I'm glad I asked here. I got linked there and I read it and I was like, "Bwuh?" and it made me start to fear for the entire SFF author community . . . glad to know some context; thank you.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Wow... Thanks for calling me a liar.
Don't worry, I'm a liar too. ;)
I can tell a junk review from a useful one inside of 20 seconds, just as I can tell if I'll be able to read a book without gagging within 3 sample pages. Put the two together, and they're an excellent filter.

Same here. Also I don't read self published books unless they come highly recommended by people I know personally. I just don't. On principle. No offense to anyone who SP's here (I have done so myself!) but I just don't trust random strangers who SP.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com

Just to clarify the way the Nebula process works.

http://www.sfwa.org/nebula-awards/rules/

Any member can recommend any work from the current year for the appropriate award (Novel, Short Story etc). The 6 works in each category that receive the most recommendations it is put on the Nebula ballot which all members vote on to give the actual award.

No member can nominate more than 5 works in any category.

I've been a member of SFWA for around 15 years. I've seen a fair number of people campaign for their works (sending copies to members etc) and some requests for logrolling, but nothing like the goofy cabal theory the quoted link describes.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com

I'm not surprised there is corruption in voting for awards. I've seen it happen with on-line awards, so why not with ... uhm... let's call them off-line awards? ;)

Still, I might take it more seriously if I hadn't heard great things about Vonda McIntyre's The Moon and the Sun, as well as Jo Walton and Nicola Griffith. ;) Also, some of the books the author thinks should have won are great, but not everyone's style of writing. Individual taste might be part of the issue, as much as corruption.

What a concept. People actually voting for the stories they like instead of the stories everyone said they should like. When I first started reading Locus magazine (an SF magazine), I started buying lots of books from their yearly issue of recommendations. I ended up with lots of books I couldn't get into, and realized my tastes ran more along the lines of reviewer Carolyn Cushman, not the harder SF reviewers. OTOH it's worth noting that most, if not all, of the wonderful Locus reviewers are... gasp! ... authors! :eek:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
People picking on SFF isn't new. The best thing is to completely ignore those slamming the genre.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I think the onus is also on the reader/buyer to do a bit of sleuthing for themselves if they are going to base their purchasing decisions on these crowsourced review systems, i.e. checking to see what other books the reviewer has reviewed, if they ever DON'T like something, whether the reviewer is a writer themselves, and if so who has reviewed THEIR books, etc.

Well, here's the problem right here. Ask crows for reviews, and what do you expect? Either they're going to follow their instincts and trash the book, or they're going to accept peanut bribes and praise the hell out of it.

Blacbirds excluded, of course.

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Well, here's the problem right here. Ask crows for reviews, and what do you expect? Either they're going to follow their instincts and trash the book, or they're going to accept peanut bribes and praise the hell out of it.

I only accept reviews from the respectable and objective grackle community, myself.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score

Oh, that poor man. Seems like there's an infestation of girl cooties invading "his" genre. I'm trying real hard to wipe the smirk off my face.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com

I have mixed feelings about the Amazon author reviews ban--on the one hand, I can see why they feel they need to address the abuse of their reviews system, but on the other hand I agree that their new rules don't do the job. But I read this post and IMO it's ridiculous.

First, he's comparing apples to oranges. There's no equivalence between author reviews on a major retailer's website and the award nomination process for a major genre writers' group.

Second, a flawed nomination process for one single fiction award (and I do agree that the old Nebula nomination rules were susceptible to abuse--actually, when I joined SFWA in 1998, the first contact I had from another SFWA member was a Nebula vote-swapping offer) does not point to wholesale "corruption, both professional and ideological, that is rife within the publishing industry in general and the SF/F industry in particular."

Third, the fact that works he thinks should have been honored by the Nebulas didn't get honored by the Nebulas doesn't indicate anything other than his own diverging taste. As a reviewer, he should be well aware that "I didn't like it" doesn't mean "it sucked", and "I loved it and it didn't win" doesn't mean "the whole process is corrupt!!!".

Bleah.

- Victoria

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Really y'all. Google "Vox Day" to get an idea of who you're dealing with here.

(Hint: he is fueled by an incandescent hatred of John Scalzi, women, and liberals.)

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Really y'all. Google "Vox Day" to get an idea of who you're dealing with here.
Thanks SO much, everyone. I feel silly for not checking this guy out more myself first (someone I thought was reputable linked to him...now that I'm thinking about it though, they might have done so in ridicule and I didn't realize it).

Really appreciate everyone taking the time to tell me how bogus the whole "corruption" thing is. I'll be sticking with my initial opinion about Amazon's policy, i.e., it's stupid, ineffective for its stated purpose, and there are a lot better ways of dealing with this.

(And sorry, I didn't mean to derail this thread into a Nebula discussion. *hides*)

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I forgot all about Vox Day, has to be one of the most miserable nasty people alive. There should be public flogging still. Tomatoes anyone?

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com

Oh you know what I meant :p

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

Yeah, this is a person who thinks women shouldn't have the right to vote, so bear that in mind when he's listing out women who shouldn't have won, so men could win in their place.

One thing I'd say with the Nebulas, it looks like the new system (which has run for a last couple of years) has broadened what gets through. There is a more diverse range of authors, new markets getting nominations, and so forth. Which is also going to displease Vox Day, because it means brown people are getting nominated for awards, as well as women. The sky is falling!

Fortunately, this isn't the majority view of people writing SFF, or we'd all be crying in the corner right now. The system's not perfect, but it's not a giant feminist conspiracy either.

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader of many genres, I hate the new policy.

Amazon reviews sell more than books, and I think they moved to protect the rest of the corporation. I for one read through the reviews when buying gizmos and gadgets. I'm not a techie and some reviewers cover newbie concerns. The moment a buyer thinks reviews are "faked" Amazon will cough up a money ball. This move was to protect their $$.

Last edited:

stevewed

Aspiring Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steveweddle.com
You can review a book on Amazon if you haven't read it, but you can't review a book if you write in the same genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.