Not open for further replies.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
3G is so last year.

I don't see a keyboard in any of the pictures of this thing. What good is it if it doesn't have a keyboard? Then it's not a tablet, just a color Kindle.

I'm also curious if you can't read it in direct sunlight like every other electronic device except the eInk eReaders.

Um, it's a tablet. The iPad doesn't have a keyboard, does it? I believe it will have a touch keyboard, like an iPad. I will have to, since you can receive and send email with it, and surf the web.

I also believe it is backlit, because eInk doesn't come in color. However, there are three new Kindle readers to choose from, two that are touch screen.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I don't see a keyboard in any of the pictures of this thing. What good is it if it doesn't have a keyboard? Then it's not a tablet, just a color Kindle.

Software keyboard...you can see a picture of it if you click on the quick tour on the Amazon page.

3g is last year...having a 4g phone has spoiled me but not really a deal breaker for me.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I also believe it is backlit, because eInk doesn't come in color. However, there are three new Kindle readers to choose from, two that are touch screen.

While the Kindles don't use Color e-ink...it does exist. I only know of one company that uses the more vibrant version of it. Most color eink tablets are not available in the US or even Europe.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Um, it's a tablet. The iPad doesn't have a keyboard, does it? I believe it will have a touch keyboard, like an iPad. I will have to, since you can receive and send email with it, and surf the web.

The iPad has that software keyboard, like my Android phone. None of the pictures I saw of this had one, so I was wondering if it was just an eReader/eMusic thingie.

And if it's backlit, I don't want it. I want something I can see in direct sunlight. Otherwise I see no point in taking it outdoors to enjoy my day.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
The iPad has that software keyboard, like my Android phone. None of the pictures I saw of this had one, so I was wondering if it was just an eReader/eMusic thingie.

And if it's backlit, I don't want it. I want something I can see in direct sunlight. Otherwise I see no point in taking it outdoors to enjoy my day.

Both the fire and the eink tablets have software keyboards. You can see them in the quick tours on the Amazon page for them.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I have to say, that here in Canada 3G is not "so last year" yet. Unless you live in the major cities, your 4G is useless. That was also the way of it when we first got 3G, the second I was in the boonies (or crappy provinces like Saskatchewan that are so behind the times) my phone was useless. So, I will not be upgrading to a 4G anything anytime soon.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I guess, since it has a web browser - Amazon Silk. You should be able to log on to Netflix and log in like normal.

But you can also (and for $79 a year for a Prime membership, it's not a bad deal; Netflix is twice that) get access to the Amazon catalog. I will only keep Netflix because I watch through the Wii and my laptop. But it'll be nice to have it 'on the go'.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I guess, since it has a web browser - Amazon Silk. You should be able to log on to Netflix and log in like normal.

But you can also (and for $79 a year for a Prime membership, it's not a bad deal; Netflix is twice that) get access to the Amazon catalog. I will only keep Netflix because I watch through the Wii and my laptop. But it'll be nice to have it 'on the go'.

Netflix is Silverlight based, I believe. It won't work on most tablets without an app. Hence the whole "when is Netflix coming to Android."

But will they allow it or other competitors into their store?

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep--Netflix is Silverlight based. To watch on my iPhone, I had to download the free app.

The new line of Kindles is nifty, but I love my K3--what's now being called Kindle Keyboard. I got the $114 model with special offers as an early birthday gift. The ads aren't intrusive at all and some of the special offers--like a recent one that let me get Corrie ten Boom's "The Hiding Place" for a dollar--make me happy.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
The BF just showed this to me yesterday. I declared it a gadget I "would probably actually use for reals, unlike other ereaders." I suggested Santa might want to bring me one.

These Mean Streets

We Could Be Heroes
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't understand the hype around this product. It's basically a bigger kindle with slightly more functionality but still a device tethered to Amazon. Why the hell would I want that?

If it's being touted as a bigger and better kindle – okay. But to be touted as a tablet and a rival to the iPad? No. It's just a Bigger Amazon Delivery Device -- with a web browser. Want content? You gotta go through Amazon to get it. To hell with that.

I'm not a big fan of Apple, but it's still light years better in my opinion. And I'll wait for the other true tablets to emerge in the coming year – ones that I can use for anything and everything, and choose what I want to see and read myself - before having a proprietary marketing device hardlined into an emerging media monopoly monster.

When I see a plethora of apps developed for it, that'll let me use it the way I choose to, with vast functionality – then I'll consider it a tablet and a viable alternative to the iPad or the other true tablets out there.

Until then, as far as I can see, it's much ado about nothing.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
When I see a plethora of apps developed for it, that'll let me use it the way I choose to, with vast functionality – then I'll consider it a tablet and a viable alternative to the iPad or the other true tablets out there.

?? So you consider the iPad to have vast functionality that you can use anyway you choose?

Kindle Fire is competing with Nook and other e readers. It looks like it will compete with other, similar, android tablets, but we won't really know until it comes out in Nov. However, if it does as it seems it undercuts all tablets on the market now. The 199$ price point is really attractive.

As far as the iPad 2 goes, it competes more with phones than with any other tablets out there. We've purchased two iPads now and this will be the first android tablet we'll have in the house. None of them are for me, I have a Windows 7 tablet that I use for work and an android phone. Since the inkling pen is nearly here, I've started looking at a dedicated ereader....The new eink tablet Kindles look interesting but if they work anything like the nook touch eink tablet then they'll be a disappointment. I hope they show up at a retailer so I can try one out.

These Mean Streets

We Could Be Heroes
Registered
Reaction score
Kindle Fire is competing with Nook and other e readers.
That's fine. And believable. But people are touting it as a rival with the iPad and other tablets. Which I find to be crazytalk, by what I've seen of it so far. It's cheaper – but that's about the only thing going for it.

So you consider the iPad to have vast functionality that you can use anyway you choose?
There are about 100,000 apps for the iPad2. I can read, surf the web and get email – but also listen to music (various apps), write, schedule, scan, video-conference, map my hikes and trips, book flights, know the weather, see satellite images, social network with dedicated and assorted apps, set up a workout routine and keep records, monitor my body, help my sleep, entertain myself and my kids --- and much, much, much more.

Doctors are using it, schools are using it, libraries are using it, various occupations are using them out in the field, and people are using them at home.

So, yes, I'd say I can do just about anything with it I wish. At least anything I can do on a computer, and more. And definitely more than I can with the kindle fire, at this point.

Like I said – it's priced as an e-reader, and if that's what you want – then it's a great deal. Hell, the regular kindle was priced more than this not too long ago. But I want a full-fledged tablet. One that is as useful and resourceful as a PC. This is not it.

If people are enthused about it and want to buy one - that's great. Go for it. All I'm saying is that it hasn't impressed me a bit yet.

Also, the kindle fire is tethered to Amazon, like Apple does with its iPads. They're once again trying to corner a market and tether customers to them. And underpricing to do it. Their interest is media monopoly, nothing less.

Which is why I'm still going to wait for a true alternative to the iPad 2. An android or Windows tablet that doesn't try to dictate what I can or can't do with my own device.

The amazon Kindle might be able to parlay its cheapness into making it a true tablet contender in the future (along with some upgrades in future kindle fires.) But as of right now, color me unimpressed.

Again, just my thoughts on the matter.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
As far as the iPad 2 goes, it competes more with phones than with any other tablets out there.

I still don't know what you're smoking. The iPad practically defines the current tablet market.

Also, the kindle fire is tethered to Amazon, like Apple does with its iPads. They're once again trying to corner a market and tether customers to them. And underpricing to do it. Their interest is media monopoly, nothing less.

Yes, this is why I'm curious about whether Amazon will allow other content providers on their tablet. You can access iTunes, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Spotify, etc., etc. on the iPad, and with iOS 5 it'll be completely untethered from iTunes. I understand Amazon content is attractive to a lot of people, but if you're locked into that, that makes it far less interesting as a tablet, and — as mentioned — more of ereader+media device. Well, you can probably always pick one up and root it to install Ice Cream Sandwich when it comes out, if Google ever actually releases the source code.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If I want a color eReader, maybe I'll think about the Kindle Fire.

If I want a tablet? Forget it. I want an iPad. I have an Android phone, which I like very much, but the Android tablets seem lacking. And I can't understand how anyone in the media with any tech savvy whatsoever would compare the Kindle Fire to an iPad.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
That's fine. And believable. But people are touting it as a rival with the iPad and other tablets. Which I find to be crazytalk, by what I've seen of it so far. It's cheaper – but that's about the only thing going for it.

Only one journalist has touched one. At the release yesterday, journalists were not allowed to touch the Fire or new tablets but had to watch what Amazon Handlers did with it. Point being, journalists seem to know exactly what we do and are jumping to the land of conclusions, and seem to be slightly delusional. It doesn't compare with the ipad 2 in that it lacks storage and camera...according to amazon page. It does compare in that it runs games, lets you read ebooks, lets you surf the net, listen to music and watch movies.

Frankly, I doubt it will kill the iPad. The media fascination with device's killing each other seems to be a psychological problem.

These Mean Streets

We Could Be Heroes
Registered
Reaction score
Only one journalist has touched one. At the release yesterday, journalists were not allowed to touch the Fire or new tablets but had to watch what Amazon Handlers did with it. Point being, journalists seem to know exactly what we do and are jumping to the land of conclusions, and seem to be slightly delusional. It doesn't compare with the ipad 2 in that it lacks storage and camera...according to amazon page. It does compare in that it runs games, lets you read ebooks, lets you surf the net, listen to music and watch movies.

Frankly, I doubt it will kill the iPad. The media fascination with device's killing each other seems to be a psychological problem.
That was basically my thought also, upon seeing the media's "iPad Killer" frenzy. I only posted cuz it seemed others might be buying into it unawares.

The whole "potential iPad killer" angle by the media reeks to me of envy, actually. And a great desire among them to see Apple's tablet reign finally toppled. Interesting.

Or it could just be the usual hyperbolic conflict-driven copy they like to spout to sell copies/garner views. Who knows.

Either way, at this point so far, an iPad killer, it is not.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, that was totally the media's take on it, which seemed dumb to me too - obviously it is competition for the color Nook, NOT the iPad.

I just don't have $700 to spend on an iPad, and since I have my Netbook to write on, and it has a camera and I can watch Netflix on it, I have no need for it. I want the Fire for the things it is SUPPOSED to do - read an ebook in portrait orientation, watch a movie in landscape (reading on the Netbook in landscape is just not as nice), maybe play a game, and have it be more portable than my Netbook.

I can't hook up a SMART board to the Fire, and I can to my Netbook. Each device has a purpose and I WANT both of them for different reasons.

I MIGHT have bought the HP tablet, and was looking at them when HP decided to dump them and sell them off cheap, which would have been great except I didn't want something that was losing support from the manufacturer.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I can't hook up a SMART board to the Fire, and I can to my Netbook. Each device has a purpose and I WANT both of them for different reasons.

See, now I want something that does everything. I don't want to spend money on separate electronics that are only good for one or two things. That's why I don't own a Kindle. I don't want something that's only good for reading. Nor does this Fire thing interest me. Still too narrow of a use. I want something that will replace my laptop, something that I can read books, magazines, and comics on. Watch movies on. Listen to music. Surf the web. Email. And lets me write and edit my WIPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.