Greetings, All!

Dennisen

Latent Literary Adventurer
Registered
Reaction score
It's great to be a part of the group.

I've written stuffy technical articles for hobby magazines in the distant past behind the fog bank, but it wasn't until 2013 and a friend's invitation to try NaNoWriMo that I actually made an attempt to become a novelist. The pages of that first book are very useful when I run out of Charmin, but my second work that I recently finished is, I feel much more compelling than the first. As the old saying goes, practice makes pretty decent. I hope to write more and try new genres, since life is a candy store that closes early.

Teaching in Japan is what keeps the electricity flowing to the laptop. I'm also married, with two chronologically adult children.

When I'm not teaching or writing, I'm watching movies, studying some fascinating historical artifact, singing karaoke, or reading.

Again, it's great to be aboard! Happy New Year to everyone!

Best,

Dennis (or Dyne Sheavers)

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Welcome to the water cooler, Dennis!

Congratulations on finishing that second novel! That's pretty awesome. I'm a nano-born writer, too -- though I'm still finishing and refining my original project from a year ago!

I think you'll fit in just fine 'round these parts. Jump right in!

annaheyerdahl

Awesome Viking Chick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annaheyerdahl.blogspot.com
Welcome to the water cooler, Dennis!

Congratulations on finishing that second novel! That's pretty awesome. I'm a nano-born writer, too -- though I'm still finishing and refining my original project from a year ago!

I think you'll fit in just fine 'round these parts. Jump right in!

Quoting Joss Whedon?

You sir, Rock.

♥ Anna ♥

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Dennis! :welcome:

You've made a great choice of writing hangout. AW is full of writers from all over the world, and there's more info here regarding all aspects of the craft than you can shake a stick at. Dive right in; you won't regret it!

See you around the boards :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs and another for the Absolute Write Dictionary. Also, a little reminder that if you're interested in receiving a critique of your work, there is a 50-post rule.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Glad you discovered writing novels.

Dennisen

Latent Literary Adventurer
Registered
Reaction score
NaNoWriMo

Hi Dennis, fellow newbie here. Congrats on novel # 2.

....dare I ask, what is NaNoWriMo?

Hi, Anna,

Thanks for the kind words.

NaNoWriMo is the abbreviation for National Novel Writing Month, an organized effort for each person to write 50,000 words in the month of November. It has happened for several years, now. Around 300,000 worldwide participate, and somewhere around 13-14% achieve the goal. It's a terrific challenge, and there's wonderful motivation and support along the way. Check it out by putting an .org after the abbreviation!

Best,

Dennis