stay-a-home parents: who babysits while you interview?

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
ACK! My babysitters (the grandparents) are out of town on a road trip and DON'T KNOW WHEN THEY'LL BE HOME. Ack! Retired people!:eek:

I've got a sticky situation...an editor I haven't worked with yet responded to an old query with just a "is this still availble?" It wasn't a solid offer, no deadline or anything. I responded that is the story was still available, and I'd love to work with them. Or something like that...

That was Monday. I haven't heard back from him with any details, so I don't know if I should start interviewing and writing yet.

I'd love to go visit my subject in person and see his work. This is a business story, and I offered to supply photos of the factory to the editor.

BUT I can't make an appointment without knowing if I can get a sitter. It's a two hour drive, so this would take at least 5 hours. I can't dump my toddler on my girlfriend for that long, she's got a business at home too. My hubby said he'd take off work if he had to, but I don't want to take away from his work. If I just knew if I could wait until my mom gets back from wandering Route 66 everything would be cool.

So what do you guys do for babysitting back up?

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I don't have anyone. It's a crapshoot here. Write when they're quiet, then wonder what the heck they're doing that they're not supposed to be doing that is /keeping/ them so quiet.

By the time they go to sleep, brain is too fried to do much.

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yep, my kid is playing with trains right now. I've got Shaun the Sheep (by the Wallace and Grommet people) on the DVD. Shaun doesn't talk, so its much better to work to than Sesame Street. Elmo's voice can pierce though solid steel. Ick!

I try to get focus during nap time, which comes later in day now that he's a toddler.

When I try to work while the kid is playing, he keeps bringing me things. (Yesterday he brought me the memory stick out of my camera. I have to store that higher!) Sometimes I have to kick a path clear from my chair to get out. But at least he's stopped wanting to play with the disk drive doors. That was a pain.

Still no word from my folks if they're going to get back. Worse comes to worse, I'll do a phone interview. No, worse case scenario, I strap the toddler to my hip with a baby sling and take him with me.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
LOL Denise, I'm a bit envious that you have childcare available. Like Julie, I fit in what I can/when I can. If I had an interview I had to do in person, hubby would have to take a day off work OR I could see if my 19-y-o niece could watch the baby.

Depending on the interview, I'd be tempted to bring her. Parenting, paintball or church magazine? I definitely would. (Some people in paintball would be upset with me if I didn't! LOL) But in a field where I was less known/established, I'd find a sitter.

Can you ask your friend to watch him for the five hours and pay her back in some way (babysitting for her in the future, a nice lunch... something like that?) Five hours to me doesn't seem excessively long to ask a favor of a good friend. In other words, I'd do it for a close friend. Hell, if Julie and I lived closer to each other, we'd probably trade off sometimes..(that is, if she'd trust new-parent-me with her brood! LOL) ;)

Dawn

Dawn

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Maybe I'm dense... but was the friend asked?

I mean, as a friend, I love to help my friends out. And family for that matter. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy under those porcupine quills. But because I'm busy with several jobs, no one will ask me for fear of burdening me. They take away my ability to help because I never know that they need it. Makes me sad. And left out, because I'm so regularly brushed off with "Oh, you're so busy!" (Look, I can manage my time myself, I don't need your help with that!... but the plea falls on deaf ears, all of them.)

My two cents. Like I said. I may be dense. I know I'm very biased in this matter.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Man, do I feel old. My kids are all grown. I once took my son with me on an interview...but he was 11 at the time. Stayed out of the way. I couldn't imagine doing one with a young child underfoot.

Ask a friend.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Denise,
If it is an interview with a toy company, I don't think they would mind at ALL if you brought the little one. In fact, I bet they will load him up with toys. :) He'll probably be the darling of the office.

Good luck getting the go-ahead, btw.

Julie -- ROFLMAO! Yes, you're right. I do not know how you do what you do. :)

If we lived closer, I'd be tempted to just slip my little girl into the fray one day and then sneak out to get some work done, under the premise that you might not notice an extra kid in all the commotion until a few hours later. :p

Dawn

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I haven't gone to my friend yet because I haven't gotten a solid offer on the gig. It might be that by the time this editor officially gives me the assignment, my folks will be back home from vacation and can babysit.

My friend has watched the baby before during emergencies, just never that long. I'm sure she'd do it. I landed a same day interview with a cop once and she didn't bat an eye when I asked for help watching the kiddo.

Plus, I am tempted to take my boys. Now that this week is nearly over, my oldest will be back from summer camp when I set up this interview. It might be interesting to see his take on the factory for a pitch to a children's magazine. My older kid is 10 and is used to me asking him to act as a baby wrangler. He even insists on pushing the stroller when we all go out.

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
Well, I don't have any good ideas for your problem, but to me this sounds like a great article for you to pitch -- so many parents are working at home. How do you deal with these little glitches? Your kid wakes up sick the day you've got an interview, the school nurse calls you in the middle of a site visit you traveled 1 hour to get to, etc.... there's a million problems you could tackle!
Just a thought!

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
I have a good idea for you. I would check to see if a local college near you that you like and that has a good reputation offers a babysitter's list for parents in the area. I'm a college student and I know my school offers one that I'm on, updated by semester with information about people who are willing to babysit. I know my school personally doesn't do interviews, but if it's a school with a reputation you trust, talking to them and asking for a reference or two and then you can have a babysitter. I know that because I'm a college student and I'm on our school's babysitting list every semester. It's how I supplement my income.

hikerbiker29

Registered
Reaction score
I have childcare at home (I work 50% at home, 50% at the office), but you can get together some friends for a babysitting coop if you know some trustworthy parents. I was part of one a few yrs ago when I was only working about 20 hrs/week from home, and it worked out really well. My husband did 10 hrs and I relied on the share 2 days a week, 5 hrs a day.