• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The People's Friend Magazine

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
Does anyone have any information or comments about The People's Friend Magazine, published in the UK by D. C. THOMSON & CO., LTD., 80 KINGSWAY EAST, DUNDEE DD4 8SL. I found out about them from a posting in the Short Story forum here, and I'm a little confused when I look at their website(s) and submission guidelines.

Here are the links to their submission page and the magazine and publishing sites:
http://www.jbwb.co.uk/pfguidelines.htm
http://www.thepeoplesfriend.co.uk/
http://www.jbwb.co.uk/

The third link, to Jacqui Bennett Writers Bureau, I found by deleting the "pfguidelines.htm" from the guidelines site address, and it seems to be for a critique and editorial service. I'm not sure how that relates to the magazine.

In the submission guidelines, I can't find any mention of payment rates, although they clearly say that payment is on acceptance.

It seems to be a legitimate magazine and it might be that the publisher just offers editorial services as a separate department, but I'm still a bit hesitant.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Definitely legit. It's been around in the UK for years. They are very specific about the kinds of stories they publish so it would be worth getting hold of a few copies (try ebay?) to see if it's your kind of thing. I don't know exactly what they pay, but I don't think it's a lot. If they like you, though, it can be a very regular source of income. I have a friend who has been writing for them for years.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
As said, entirely legit, but they publish a very specific type of story. If I told you it's the kind of thing old ladies read in doctors' waiting rooms, hopefully you'd understand what I mean.

Get hold of some copies to see what they are like, and check out womag writer's blog for a load of information about this type of market, along with links to similar publications.

On a side note - D C Thompson & co also publish the Beano and the Dandy. :D

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
If I told you it's the kind of thing old ladies read in doctors' waiting rooms, hopefully you'd understand what I mean.

Good heavens. Does this magazine still exist? I haven't set eyes on a copy since the mid-1970s. And yes, it was in a doctor's waiting room.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Some UK supermarkets stock it. They will send you, or they used to, guidelines about what they will accept. IIRC the guidelines include info about the different types of stories, that is short or serial, and the editorial help available, layout and stuff. The do specials for Easter/Spring and Christmas.

Allana

Registered
Reaction score
I had a story published in The Peoples Friend a few years ago. I think they paid me £25 for it.

They were very difficult for me to write for as I was writing mainly thriller-type short stories at the time. My story was rejected the first time around because it wasn't 'positive' enough.

They like stories which are clear from start to finish, with story lines and moral values which will be familiar to their audience, no confusion for the characters, and a happy ending.

Sounds simple, but it can be incredibly hard to find anything new to say under those circumstances.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
WH Smith stock it as well. As do lots of the larger newsagents in this country.

Actually, I read it on the train when there is nothing else I can get to read for under a pound. So if you want to PM me the first few paragraphs, and maybe a synopsis, I will let you know what I think.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information or comments about The People's Friend Magazine, published in the UK by D. C. THOMSON & CO., LTD., 80 KINGSWAY EAST, DUNDEE DD4 8SL. I found out about them from a posting in the Short Story forum here, and I'm a little confused when I look at their website(s) and submission guidelines.

Here are the links to their submission page and the magazine and publishing sites:
http://www.jbwb.co.uk/pfguidelines.htm
http://www.thepeoplesfriend.co.uk/
http://www.jbwb.co.uk/

The third link, to Jacqui Bennett Writers Bureau, I found by deleting the "pfguidelines.htm" from the guidelines site address, and it seems to be for a critique and editorial service. I'm not sure how that relates to the magazine.

In the submission guidelines, I can't find any mention of payment rates, although they clearly say that payment is on acceptance.

It seems to be a legitimate magazine and it might be that the publisher just offers editorial services as a separate department, but I'm still a bit hesitant.

The People's Friend is a great magazine. It's been around for ever. I'd love to have a story printed in there, but I don'#t think they would appreciate my writing. :(

Edited to add that it's also really widely available. All the supermarkets stock it, pretty much all the newsagents and petrol stations stock it too.

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
Widely stocked, widely read, very specific style of stories, and from what I've heard hard to break into but reliable payers.

I read it very occasionally -- it's not one I'd read from cover to cover in a sitting, but I'd be perfectly happy to read it in a doctor's waiting room, and I'm not even old enough to be their target market.

Spanishdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this is a very well established and long- lived magazine read by many women. They are genuine and if you write directly to the fiction editor, you should receive a reply. However, competition for short story fiction publication is really fierce. I've submitted three stories to them and been rejected each time but with nice replies! Good luck