Problems transferring emails

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to move emails from an old desktop computer, running Outlook 2003, to a new laptop, which has Outlook 2010 on it.

There's a complication: the old desktop used to be used in a shared office with three people in it, and so has three user accounts: one, which my husband uses, has no password: the other two do, and he doesn't know the passwords.

His account doesn't seem to be the administrator account for the desktop. He can't get in contact with the other two people as they left the business under several thick and impenetrable clouds.

Also, Outlook 2003 isn't showing any "import/export" options so I wonder if that's only available to the administrator account.

I've copied the *.pst files from the desktop to an external hard drive but when I try to open them in Outlook 2010 on the laptop I'm told that my access has been denied.

I've made a new "personal folders file" or whatever it's called, copied it onto that same external hard drive, and got the same result.

I've taken the HDD out of the desktop but it's an IDE drive and I think a 3.5" one (it says "IDE 3.5" on the outside), the docking stations I've got are all for SATA drives, and the only caddies or docking stations I've found for IDE drives are for 2.5" IDE drives from laptops. Bah.

There has to be a way to do this. Any suggestions?

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Probably not your problem, but I believe you can get an access denied message if the *.pst file is read-only. You can change the read-only attribute in explorer, maybe that's worth a try? But it may be a red herring.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Rob. Right now I'll try anything. Wahh!

Deleted member 42

Jane I haven't supported Outlook for several years, but when I did I used this product for repair/conversion:

http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/

I realize you've probably Googled all over the place but:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

The export options are not tied to having an Admin account. The current user can only export/import his/her own files.

When you say his user account has no password, do you mean the dialog comes up and he doesn't enter anything, or that he has never had the user account ask for a password?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, thank you--I'll see if they help.

When the screen comes up with the three separate accounts to log into, if I click on the two password-protected ones it asks for a password, which I don't have.

When I click on David's account, no password is asked for. No dialogue box appears.

Deleted member 42

Lisa, thank you--I'll see if they help.

When the screen comes up with the three separate accounts to log into, if I click on the two password-protected ones it asks for a password, which I don't have.

When I click on David's account, no password is asked for. No dialogue box appears.

OK; when the account was created, someone checked the no password ticky box in Windows.

I suspect that means that the password being asked for when you move the .pst files may be the mail account password--that is, the log on to the ISP password for his account.

And I'm assuming that you've tried the option of clicking OK instead of entering a password in when the dialog comes up on the new machine.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect that means that the password being asked for when you move the .pst files may be the mail account password--that is, the log on to the ISP password for his account.

Except that I'm not being asked for any passwords when I try to move the .pst files--all that happens then is I'm denied access to them, on the new machine.

The old machine is the one with the passworded accounts on, and that's the one I'm retrieving the emails from (or, rather, failing to). I can copy them without trouble, it seems, but get the denial of access message when I try to import them into Outlook on the new computer.

And I'm assuming that you've tried the option of clicking OK instead of entering a password in when the dialog comes up on the new machine.

Yep, I've tried that. And I've tried the few passwords David usually uses, and several others. No luck.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Just wondered if you managed to resolve this in the end.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've resolved some of the problems, but haven't had a chance to do anything more as the laptop has been out and about, on site visits and so on. I'm hoping to finally sort things out this week, and will let you know how I get on. Thank you for asking.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Annnd... it's done!

I finished transferring the emails yesterday. The problems were caused by several things: problems with permissions on the external hard drive I was using to transfer the emails, and on the desktop I was taking them out of; an intermittent problem with the external HDD's cables; several viruses on the desktop, which I think I've now got sorted; and a big restriction on the time I had access to both computers, which are in near-enough constant use.

I'm very glad to be done with this. And thanks for all your help. I love AW!

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Cripes. That's a result. Congrats.

Deleted member 42

I'm very glad to be done with this. And thanks for all your help. I love AW!

Super; now make an Admin account that you know the password for, and make the regular account non-admin.

That means, among other things, it's safe for daily use, and the virus protection can't be turned off, and it's a bit harder for some malware to install.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm way ahead of you there, Medie. Already done, and I've not told BD what the password is so he can't access that account. He's dangerous with computers.

Deleted member 42

I'm way ahead of you there, Medie. Already done, and I've not told BD what the password is so he can't access that account. He's dangerous with computers.

I shall have to share stories of the Bad Old Days when I supported faculty and students at UCLA . . . .

FalconMage

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

As long as he doesn't have Admin access to be able to change that account PW himself.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, he has an ordinary account and that's all he's getting. I am strict.