Magic: The Gathering

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I love this game. I've been playing this game since mid-1993. The funny thing is that I had taken a hiatus between 2000-2012, so I missed quite a lot. What does everyone think about the new rules, all the changes? Also, what does everyone think is going to be the new thing that the new set is going to introduce?

Edit: An 18000 year hiatus was a little longer than I expected.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
This thread will get more action if it is moved to the Games section.

I took a break from 1994 to 2011. The game was totally different when I came back. I'm doing my first Conspiracy draft on Thurs. I like the game. I don't care either way what the new mechanics are and other than an irrational hatred of Myrs I don't really have any preferences for sets. It's fun to play and gets me talking to other humans once a week.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, I was obsessed with this as a kid. Played since it debuted until shortly after the Portal expansion and simplified rules came out. Was that '97-ish? I seem to remember it being in middle school. (It became expensive and the boys (read: my brother and his idiot friend brigade) made playing it seriously unwelcoming.)

Then I met my husband, who was obsessed with it in HS, and did a lot of local tournament play when we first started dating. Until he was asked to quit because a) he was older than most of the local player and b) those younger kids started whining about his always winning. So we combined collections (minus the black bordered alpha and beta rares my brother stole from me and sold). But by then I was pretty over it (because brother) and he couldn't find anyone to play in college.

We still play by the old old rules set maybe twice a year. Then I remember how massively unfair his blue-heavy deck is and we go to back to co-operative games for a while. Now that we live in a bigger city with a lot of game/hobby stores, I might nudge him back into it.

Last edited:

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
This thread will get more action if it is moved to the Games section.

I took a break from 1994 to 2011. The game was totally different when I came back. I'm doing my first Conspiracy draft on Thurs. I like the game. I don't care either way what the new mechanics are and other than an irrational hatred of Myrs I don't really have any preferences for sets. It's fun to play and gets me talking to other humans once a week.

Sorry, I thought I was posting it in the Games forum.

As for the game, about 3 months ago I started playing in DCI sanctioned tournaments and found that I am horrible. However, the players are very nice and helpful, and they guide me through better choices throughout the games.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Oh man, I was obsessed with this as a kid. Played since it debuted until shortly after the Portal expansion and simplified rules came out. Was that '97-ish? I seem to remember it being in middle school. (It became expensive and the boys (read: my brother and his idiot friend brigade) made playing it seriously unwelcoming.)

Then I met my husband, who was obsessed with it in HS, and did a lot of local tournament play when we first started dating. Until he was asked to quit because a) he was older than most of the local player and b) those younger kids started whining about his always winning. So we combined collections (minus the black bordered alpha and beta rares my brother stole from me and sold). But by then I was pretty over it (because brother) and he couldn't find anyone to play in college.

We still play by the old old rules set maybe twice a year. Then I remember how massively unfair his blue-heavy deck is and we go to back to co-operative games for a while. Now that we live in a bigger city with a lot of game/hobby stores, I might nudge him back into it.

I think you both should get back into it. The rules pretty much reverted back to the original rules from so long ago, there are just new elements to the game such as strive, constellation, and heroic.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Every time my partner and I get into it, we end up moving or something and the decks get put away and forgotten. We've still got a box somewhere that's full of unopened packs -- we use them as rewards for winning. I used to love playing, except for the part where he complains whenever I crush him with my black deck... over and over again.

What can I say? The undead RULE! :D

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
As for the game, about 3 months ago I started playing in DCI sanctioned tournaments and found that I am horrible. However, the players are very nice and helpful, and they guide me through better choices throughout the games.
The players at DCI tournaments can vary considerably. The shop I go to for Friday Night Magic is very fun and relaxed and even the guys who win money at the big tournaments will play side games with you and give advice on deck building. Some have even helped me arrange trades that involve multiple back and forth steps through 5 or 6 people so I can get the cards I need.

There's another shop though... holy crap, they'll kick your ass in three turns then whine to the judge when you ask them to explain how they did it!

As someone who has no interested in spending hundreds of dollars on cards (because really, spend enough money and you're guaranteed to increase your DCI point count) and really doesn't care about winning, I much prefer to play against people who like the game enough to at least explain how they're killing me.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Or you could cross over to Pokemon! The cards are cheaper, and many are shiny.
Nooooooooo!!!! I started MtG up again because I was tired of my kid and his Poke-things lol. "hey dude, you know what we should play? I know this cool game with cards... and it has dragons!" He ended up more fond of the goblins though.

And MtG has shineys too! In fact, just last week I opened up a foil Elspeth, Sun's Champion. :p

Last edited:

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Every time my partner and I get into it, we end up moving or something and the decks get put away and forgotten. We've still got a box somewhere that's full of unopened packs -- we use them as rewards for winning. I used to love playing, except for the part where he complains whenever I crush him with my black deck... over and over again.

What can I say? The undead RULE! :D

Monoblack is still one of the strongest decks around. What type of unopened packs do you have? Some unopened packs can be very pricey on Amazon or eBay!

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Nooooooooo!!!! I started MtG up again because I was tired of my kid and his Poke-things lol. "hey dude, you know what we should play? I know this cool game with cards... and it has dragons!" He ended up more fond of the goblins though.

And MtG has shineys too! In fact, just last week I opened up a foil Elspeth, Sun's Champion. :p

Mmm, shiny Elspeth equals lots of money. I play a few of her in my Bant deck, but no shinies. =(

Atalanta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Monoblack is still one of the strongest decks around. What type of unopened packs do you have? Some unopened packs can be very pricey on Amazon or eBay!

HA! That's cool. I picked black instinctively because I have a soft spot for zombies. I'm not enough of a nerd to know how much anything is worth. They're a few years old. We used to just pick up a few packs whenever we went shopping, so they sort of accumulated.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
You should find them all, look them up online, and see how much they are worth. A few years ago Zendikar came out with full art lands. Some of those lands are going for $6.00 a piece, with a foil ranging anywhere from $20 to $40. FOR A LAND!!

Atalanta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
You should find them all, look them up online, and see how much they are worth. A few years ago Zendikar came out with full art lands. Some of those lands are going for $6.00 a piece, with a foil ranging anywhere from $20 to $40. FOR A LAND!!

Eh, I'm too lazy. A few years ago I decided to go through my old comic-book collection and see how much it was worth. Some issues were in the double digits, but every time I went to a comic-book store the guy behind the counter would say, "Yeah, that's worth a lot! But I don't want to buy it."

They ended up in a dumpster.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
LOL! I heard that a lot about my magic cards and comics from the early 90's as well. I ended up just saran wrapping the cards up, putting the comics in protectors, and storing them in a box in my garage since then. I probably have some pretty pricey cards, but I would rather just ignore them than deal with the hassle of buyers who don't want to buy.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
M15 prerelease tonight. Anyone excited about this, or have a specific card they want to pull? I want to pull a Foil Garruk, but I know that won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.