Need to describe a singing voice

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still translating my novel into English and I have another question.

I'm describing my protagonist's singing voice and I lack music-related vocabulary. The idea is that she has a very pure (right word?) voice well suited to melancholy, soulful songs. In the original text I compared her voice to spring water.

Suggestions?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
ethereal? Angelic, melodic, crystalline? Do you simply want a word to describe it or a metaphor?

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Female voices are typically classified as; soprano, mezzo-soprano, and contralto. If your MC isn't familiar with these terms, this could be a starting point for synonymous references and/or metaphors (a lilting, weightless tone; a floating wave of bright joy; a reserved undertone of ominous portent; etc...) that would comport with your MC's vocabulary.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singing

coriander

Registered
Reaction score
I'd probably go with words like pure, natural or sweet. I think ethereal or angelic also work well. I'd personally advise against melodic and crystalline because they're slightly funny words to describe a singing voice.

I wouldn't bother with words like soprano/contralto etc because all they really tell you is how high or low someone can sing (e.g. a soprano can sing higher than an alto). It looks like you want to describe the sound of the voice - rather than how high or low it is - so descriptive words will work fine.

Zanralotta

Registered
Reaction score
In classical music, a voice is generally described as belonging to a certain Fach.

Wikipedia has a good article on it. Maybe reading through that will help you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fach

I think you are going for a lyrical soprano.