McDonalds is leaving Iceland.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
All of the McDonalds in Iceland are closing today.

All three of them.

"The low exchange rate in addition to high tariffs have doubled the company's expenses for meat, cheese, vegetables and other products and challenged its profitability. The ingredients for hamburgers must be imported according to McDonald's regulations," said Iceland Review.

The thing is, McDonalds is an Icon of/from America. I'm sure this will be spun by some as a rejection of "all things American" or some such.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the high tariff thing. The story isn't real specific about it. I don't think it's anti American, but I'm sure someone will disagree.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, if they don't want cheap, disgusting, terribly unhealthy and yet god I can't stop eating it food, then more power to them.

Though it seems more like McD's just can't turn a good buck, so they're not trying anymore.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the high tariff thing.

Really? It'd only be a problem if THIS was true also:
"The ingredients for hamburgers must be imported according to McDonald's regulations," said Iceland Review.

So McDonalds forces its franchisees to use imported ingredients? Then complains about the tariffs?

(Actually, I'm surprised Iceland has a native beef industry at all.)

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Two reasons for all of this:
1/ everything was imported from Germany
2/ the value of the Icelandic krona collapsed

So anything imported into Iceland has become terribly expensive, so obviously it's not cheap hamburgers people weren't prepared to pay for, it's ridiculously expensive hamburgers, like 7 dollars for a Big Mac.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when I visited Finland, and was walking around the town I was in thinking, this is great, there are no McDonald's here, just these local burger and kabob stands. And then I turned a corner, and I was shattered - there was one after all.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
McGagnals food is awful. I'm sure the iceland residents aren't that sad to see it go. I'd much rather have homemade food than that stuff.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
There were only three McDonalds in Iceland because there are only 300,000 people in the entire country. Most of Iceland is uninhabitable because it's mostly volcanoes.

When I was there about eight years ago, I was looking forward to an eating adventure in the local restaurants. After a dinner of an unremarkable piece of fish with a side of veggies and potatoes, the bill for three of us came to $100. I could clearly not afford this.

I headed off to McDonalds for the next meal. Note that I don't eat at McDonalds at home. A Big Mac plus fries and a soft drink came to nearly $10. A Pizza Hut pizza with soft drinks for three came to $40. It was cheap to stay at a hotel, but food prices were very high, and that was before the economic problems.

The pizza, though, was excellent. We had the Islandic special; smoked lamb. Mmmmmmm.

Deleted member 42

It seems to me to be sort of "ugly American" not to support the local economy by buying local and hiring local. It that costs too much, then don't do business in that country.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I'm more concerned about the high tariff thing. The story isn't real specific about it. I don't think it's anti American, but I'm sure someone will disagree.

Nope. Not Anti-American, just pro-Iceland. They're trying to protect (what little is left of) their (already decimated) economy.

Though it seems more like McD's just can't turn a good buck, so they're not trying anymore.

Spot on. It's a business decision for McD's tpo pull out, not a political thing. The high tarrifs kill their margin.

Two reasons for all of this:
1/ everything was imported from Germany
2/ the value of the Icelandic krona collapsed

So anything imported into Iceland has become terribly expensive, so obviously it's not cheap hamburgers people weren't prepared to pay for, it's ridiculously expensive hamburgers, like 7 dollars for a Big Mac.

Yep.
icon14.gif

There were only three McDonalds in Iceland because there are only 300,000 people in the entire country.

Yep yet again.
icon14.gif

It seems to me to be sort of "ugly American" not to support the local economy by buying local and hiring local. It that costs too much, then don't do business in that country.

Two thumbs up.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score

Iceland doesn't really produce much food because it's climate does't allow for much. They seem proud that they grow (about) a third of their own veggies, but those are from greenhouses, but the high cost of growing them makes them expensive. They feed their own population with homegrown eggs, lamb and have fish, seaweed and they produce a lot of dairy products. The climate does not support the growing of grains, except for some hardy strains of barley.

This is from an Islantic website: "Iceland has age-old food traditions, associated with the autumn slaughtering season and the limited possibilities for preserving the meat. Some of these traditions are still very much alive today. The unique "súrmatur" or whey-pickled foods make up the so-called "þorramatur", relished by Icelanders, especially in the period from January to March. "Seytt rúgbrauð" (cooked rye bread), "harðfiskur" (dried fish) and "slátur" (blood pudding) are common fare, while "hangikjöt" (smoked lamb) on "flatbrauð" (rye pancakes) is delicious at any time."

You can find wild sea bird eggs and smoked puffin in the supermarkets, but I didn't see this in the restaurants. They have a holiday dish of poison rotted shark. I've tried it and it smells like Mr. Clean and tastes like fish soaked in Mr. Clean. To compliment this food, they drink huge amounts of alcohol.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought they were famous for reindeer. No??

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I heard about this a couple of weeks ago. Finally McDonalds met with resistance. There's a country they can't send to an early grave. Now if only North Americans were as smart as Icelandics.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I heard about this a couple of weeks ago. Finally McDonalds met with resistance. There's a country they can't send to an early grave. Now if only North Americans were as smart as Icelandics.

I agree. A Whopper Jr.[SUP]tm[/SUP] meal is only $3.29 here. :D

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
You know, for all the piling on of McDonald's, they still do a lot of business. I'd venture to say they did okay in Iceland, 'til the recent problems in the economy there.

And while almost everyone seems to have no problem with proclaiming how bad McDonald's is and that of course it's a unanimous Great Thing when they close up anywhere, I can't help but hypothesize that some people--that say things like McDonald's stinks or what have you--must, in fact, go there on occasion. Otherwise...

And to be clear, I'm speaking in general. I'm NOT suggesting any of the peeps that have posted on this thread fit this bill at all.

Me? I know McDonald's is not a good place to get a real healthy meal. But at the same time, it's consistent if nothing else. I'll have a hankering for a cheeseburger and fries, now and again. And when in a strange town or on the road, I'll sometimes go to a McDonald's--with the kids--as opposed to an unknown place that might be the absolute worst. But the kids aren't big fans, at all. And that's fine by me. Given an opportunity for fast food, Wendy's is always the choice. Still, a trip to the Golden Arches doesn't mean instant death. Eh.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I read this thread and now I want a Happy Meal. I can't tell if that's wrong or very very right.

Good thing there isn't one in walking distance. I'd probably have my treat of the week by now.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I will admit that while I think McDonald's burgers are not very good, I do like the Sausage McMuffins with Egg.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I've found that a couple of their spicy McChicken sandwiches are just the thing to clean out the pipes. :D

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in Scotland, the local McDonalds had a promotion featureing McIndian food. They had vegatarian samosas, Chicken McKorma and a lamb entree. Very resourceful.

Pleaase forgive my typing. I cut my finger pretty badly and am bleeding all over the keyboard.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Cheeseburger Happy Meal with every bite dipped in ketchup, burger and fries.

That's more than enough McD for me. Plus, I get a toy. :D