• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

So, what motivates you, or get you in the writing mood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
A blank page is usually enough for me to want to put something on it. I'm not sure I've ever experienced writers block, but I did stop writing for a while once. For me, reading came before the writing. If I didn't like reading, I couldn't imagine writing. Seriously, I don't think anyone who doesn't read will reach his or her true potential as a writer. How can you expect to know what readers want if you are not one of them?

Skyes

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, this happens to me. Whenever I watch something I find really touching and amazing, it makes me want to create something beautiful. I don't know how to sculpt, or paint, or do interpretive dance or whatever, so I turn to writing.

I can totally empathize with the loss of interest in books after reading a rash of boring books. A couple of years ago, I happened to read 3 books back-to-back which, while not completely terrible, were also kinda meh. A lot of the characters in the books died, but I found myself not giving a shit. Worse still, the books were best-sellers, so I thought, "Crap, maybe I've just lost interest in reading!!"

It took a long time for me to gather enough effort and will to pick up another book. Luckily, the next book I picked up was Gone Girl, and that woke up my appetite for books. I read it in two days and picked up the next book, and the next. My appetite for reading was voracious once more.

But once in a while, I'll come across a dud and I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to bring myself to pick up a different book. It's just so discouraging when you slog through a book you find mediocre. Don't let it stop you from reading altogether though. There are a lot of great books out there. You just have to take it one book at a time.

I think you can still be a creative writer. I'm sure there are writers who don't read much. But I'm willing to bet they're more the exception than the rule.

The thing with reading is that you also pick up good writing from it. It's why whenever I write, I'll also make sure to pick up books with rich, beautiful prose. Even though I write mostly YA, I prefer to read lit fic when I write. It helps to enrich my own writing. (Side note: How many times can one person say "write" in a single paragraph? :D)

So for me, it's absolutely necessary to read as much as I can in order to be a good writer.

Thank you my friend. I feel so much better knowing that I am not alone in this. I am still searching for the books that captivate me like The Hobbit did. I am sure I will find some. Your words are kind :)

I don't believe writer's block even exists. There was time, not so very long ago, when no one believed in writer's block, so no one ever had it. Every writer I've even known who claimed to have "writer's block" still wrote reams, usually about how bad a case of writer's block they had.

In your case, though, the problem may well have been not reading enough. Maybe you've read enough in your life to let you be a fiction writer, and maybe not, but if you don't read at all, or even if you read very seldom, you have little to no chance. It just isn't going to happen. You won't know what to write, you won't know how to write, and you won't have a clue whether you're writing something original, or something that's been done to death.

And you'll have many, many times when you simply have nothing to write about, no good ideas, or no notion of how to get it down right, and you'll call it writer's block.

You can learn to write screenplays by watching movies, but nothing about a movie teaches you how to write a book. Other than dialogue, there are no similarities, and even with dialogue, the movie will have much less than the book. You learn how to write books by reading an infinite number of books.

What gets me in the mood to write? Being a writer gets me in the mood. Writers write. It's that simple.

I write because writing is what I want to do, and what I enjoy doing. It's how I want to spend my time. If I needed motivation, I wouldn't be a writer. It's like asking, "How do you get in the mood to sit down and play your favorite video game for three hours?" Or, "What's your motivation for sitting down and watching a movie you love?"

Seriously, if I had to get in the "mood", or if I had to find "motivation", I'd find something else to do with my time, something I loved so much I couldn't wait to sit down and do it.

Success comes from finding something you love doing so much that you don't need to get in the mood to do it, and the only motivation you need is love. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as you love doing it so much you can't wait to do it again and again. Whatever it is, there's a way to make money from doing it.

For you, it sounds like movies might be your ticket to success. Have you thought about writing a screenplay? Or movie reviews?

For me, it's simple. Fiction writers read, and fiction writers write. This is what makes us writers.

I was just like you, in the past, to be honest. I started writting when I was 9 years old. I made two books and writing was all I could ever think of. When I was 10, I made my first really big book. It had around 50 or 70 thousand words. I even made a sequel to it a few months later, with the same size.
But I don't know why, now that I am 26, my lust and insatiable desire to write has just disappeared. I feel that I need to finnish writing this current book I am working on (for 4 years. Yes, 4 years and I still didn't finnish this small book) because it's like a duty, something like an obligation. But I don't really feel the urge to write as I did when I was younger.
I am not sure yet why, I am still looking for the reason.

SML7318

Registered
Reaction score
Has your idea lost it's spark? Maybe it feels a bit stale after four years, and more like a chore. Maybe try a different project to see if that will excite you, then return to this story.

Skyes

Registered
Reaction score
Has your idea lost it's spark? Maybe it feels a bit stale after four years, and more like a chore. Maybe try a different project to see if that will excite you, then return to this story.

Hmmm, that is not a bad idea :)

spottedgeckgo

Da Gecko
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spottedgeckgo.com
If it's been 4 years you need to shelf it for a bit. Are we talking about editing issues or actually writing? Cause after 4 years...

I would start new, plop another story down, and just churn it out. Maybe just start with a main character and see where he/she leads you. Make a minimum requirement, like 20,000 words, and follow that character till you get there. Then come back and evaluate your 4-year project again. (Maybe your character could find your ms)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I would also say a little encouragement, in the way of someone liking what you do.

JTShadow56

The Sith Lord of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Listening to music usually gets me in the mood. I think of ideas as the music plays and just get a massive urge to start writing again

Skyes

Registered
Reaction score
I think I found my mistake: I stopped writing the draft to go back to the beginning to edit it, several times. And then I got stuck.

I am now back to drafting it, and it's slowly beginning to flow again :)

Kaleigh

I've seen more spine in jellyfish
Registered
Reaction score
Not going to lie, being in a boring situation (like a slow day at work) usually tends to get my mind rolling

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
My key motivator for keeping at it is perhaps a little more banal than the other posts I've read here: it's knowing what the alternative is. The thought of returning to a soul-sucking job gets me up and sticking to my 1k minimum every day. Most days I do more than that, but on the days when I really don't feel like writing at all I slog through the bare minimum. It's amazing how fast you can complete a novel when you do that.

JB Hare

Registered
Reaction score
I started out writing a screen play for my own amusement. I had a hobby with computer animation (iclone, Blender, etc.) and read the screenplays for some movies I really liked to study how it is done. I solicited voice over work online from amateurs and then took it further to some pros. The nibbles there were a great motivator. So that was the initial motivation to do this seriously, and I decided to redo the story in the format of a novel.

Everyday, though, I have to battle laziness. I don't think inspiration is enough. I read about some writers who set schedules for themselves so I mimic that.

I do get energized, inspired, etc. from listening to music during my daily commute. That ranges from Hans Zimmer and Ennio Morricone scores to Billy Idol and Buck Owens.

Last edited:

TGrace

Registered
Reaction score
Music! Music puts me in the mood to write. I love coming up with playlists for my stories. The best combination for me is listening to music while in motion (walking or while traveling in, say, a car) and then writing. I think about what I want to write to "fill up the well," so to speak, and then do it.

Watching movies/tv also puts me in the mood. The combination of the soundtrack and the kinesthetic response (another type of motion, albeit a more intellectual one) that occurs when watching a film or tv really puts me in a creative mood.

Reading also does the trick, though. It's the best reminder of what I'm trying to accomplish - words on the page, a real story - so I read often (even if what I read right now is often academic in nature because I'm a student). I firmly believe that to work with an artistic medium, you need to be familiar with other works and artists.

jae_s1978

Registered
Reaction score
Since I write full-time, I can't wait for inspiration or the right mood. I try to motivate myself with a writing ritual: I get myself a hot beverage, put on my headphones (with or without music), turn off the Internet...and write.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
I know I get excited when I see a really good show or film, or read a really good book. Otherwise, when a new idea strikes me- a la a new character, plotline or way of looking at a situation.

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
Usually just about anything inspires me. A song will spark a short idea that will grow into a book or I'll like the way a character acts in a book or on TV and think of what I would do with a similar character.

When I do run into a lull I go back and revise or reread my own stuff (because I'm and raid if I stop all together even for a few days or a week that I won't be able to start again). I have a couple things that are still in the revision process and queries that have yet to be written so if I'm uninspired I'll try to be productive in a different way.

Lilly

Registered
Reaction score
I want to spend time with my characters, find out what's going to happen to them. So - I don't need any extra motivation, I just need time (+ headphones + my old IBM keyboard). There are plenty of stories to explore :Sun:
Lilly

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
This is only somewhat facetious, but I've noticed that reading really bad writing--like horrible fanfic I stumble across on the Internet or something--always makes me want to sit down and write just to prove to myself that I can do better.

I also critique screenplays as part of my freelance work, and the worst ones seem to have the same effect.

RandyPendleton

Registered
Reaction score
We all have our things. A few that help me (and might help you, too):

1.) Melodies: I'm not talking about full songs here. This is more like musical scores or pieces of music you can loop over and over. Being deaf, I can only use what I remember. I play it in my mind. If I need to write something dark and thundering, I "loop" Black Sabbath's "Electric Funeral." Or something sad would require Sabbath's "Changes." With this technique, your mind won't be focusing on the next chords or that really awesome solo. You'll just have the vibe you need, played in repetition without your mind ever focusing on the music's end.

2.) Film: Watch movies to see how characters interact. Sometimes you'll see something and say, "NO! This is what should have happened!" Focusing on how you'd fix these things can really roll over to your writing time. It can make you eager to get things rolling.

3.) Finality: If you’re in the middle of a desert you might not feel motivated at all to make it to the end. But if you know you only have 1/8th a mile to go, you’ll more than likely be happy to the point where you’ll get that 1/8th outta the way without fuss. The same: If you think of the end of your draft, you’ll feel far more inclined to wrap up.

There are many others, and writing isn’t a one-size-fits-all affair. What work for Person A might not for Person B. But these might help. Give them a try :)

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Just about anything can inspire me.

But when I'm in the middle of a long project and I'm trying to pound out my daily word quotas, sometimes I have to use different techniques. Reading before hand always gives me ideas for different scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.