Status
Not open for further replies.

sgunelius

10 Books & Counting
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.keysplashcreative.com
I just applied for the Web Trends guide position. Has anyone else applied for that one? I applied before reading the last 10 pages or so of this post, and now, I'm thinking I should have included more information about my experience and a longer sample post.

kiyasmom

Registered
Reaction score
I've had two different mentors, one gave significantly more feedback than the other. I actually misunderstood feedback from my first mentor and didn't graduate prep as a result. Luckily, everyone in prep for a topic has the same mentor (at least as far as I can tell) so you're all getting the same level of feedback.

Hey, Cheril, you may want to email your mentor tomorrow morning to check in on your outline. You should have heard back by now and I know that my mentor this time didn't receive the outline the first time I sent it.

Good luck to everyone in prep!

Christy

I agree. My mentor no longer works for About but the feedback was minimal as well. Found out no one from my class passed. So, I guess we were all in the same boat. We probably were all off track with what About wanted and had no guidance in the right direction. I am not making excuses, though. All things happen for a reason.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Realize that things might be a little bit slow, especially when it comes to hearing back about whether you've graduated or not (the hardest part of all).

I can attest to that, although I don't think it's a norm. There's obviously something unusual going on with the site I applied for! =}

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
I am not making excuses, though. All things happen for a reason.

Indeed! I eventually netted a monthly job that pays more than about for less work. ;) Said job has led to more jobs, too.

If I had graduated prep, I probably would have been content at that instead of pushing myself to find more work.

cvernonpal

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've had no response from my mentor this whole week on the category structure. I'm about to send it a third time. I need to know so that I can add the categories before the first review. My mentor's name is Eric H.

Any hints from those who have been there?

Thanks, Cheril

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Cheril,

You haven't heard back at all? Eric's usually VERY responsive. Did you try sending an email with no attachment or from a different account? Maybe you're getting blocked. If they haven't received it, they're going to assume you dropped out of the program because you missed the deadline.

Good luck...

Christy

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
What Christy said. Eric was my mentor too, and he always got back to me immediately. You might want to check your spam filters and make sure his email is getting through to you.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
still waiting

Apparently there was some confusion around who is making the final decision about the site, so there's still no word. Eric says that it should be next week. I really hope they won't keep me waiting for a month just so they can turn me down...

cvernonpal

Registered
Reaction score
I sent Eric an instant message and he hadn't received my e-mail. It was in his spam folder. So I'm back on track now but a little behind because I had to wait.

Thanks for the advice. If I wouldn't have reached him, he would have thought I dropped out.

Thanks guys!

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
Well everyone, my "Welcome" email just came. As of this moment, I'm officially in Prep. :)

Nice knowin' ya. See you in two weeks! ;)

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Good luck, RitrChick!

I've got news myself. I (finally) graduated from prep! I'm the new guide for Family Computing! Eric just sent unofficial word and said my final review would arrive next week.

=},
Christy

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo!!!!

Happy dance!!! Congrats!!!

RitrChick, I know you'll do wonderfully. Just plow ahead.

I knew this would be a happy Friday...

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
Well everyone, my "Welcome" email just came. As of this moment, I'm officially in Prep. :)

Nice knowin' ya. See you in two weeks! ;)

I'll miss you :cry: BUT let's see

1) GOOD LUCK on your first day.
2) You will rock the competition.
3) And here's a little dance party for added luck...

:snoopy: :Jump: :banana: :Clap: :e2bouncey :e2bear:

Now, go get em.

~ Jennifer

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
YAY, Christy!!!! :banana: You've been waiting a long time for this and I am sooo glad you got the news you deserved! :D Congrats!

Thanks for the wishes of "luck" everyone. And Patti, you're absolutely right. I hereby go on record as saying that I will be forever grateful to this thread and AW in general for many, many reasons. :)

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
Woo hooo - I'll look for you on the tech channel list.

Good luck, RitrChick!

I've got news myself. I (finally) graduated from prep! I'm the new guide for Family Computing! Eric just sent unofficial word and said my final review would arrive next week.

=},
Christy

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah! Congrats MoreThanMommy!

RitrChick, I hope we are sending you the same congrats in two weeks! Best of luck. :)

GrammarScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Wow, all of you have totally made me want to be a Guide. It sounds like a great site to work for. I just submitted my application for Plays/Drama. (Talk about a fun topic. I love theatre.)

*fingers crossed* Here's hoping I get into Prep!

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
Good luck on the Drama one; I almost applied (I acted in the theater for 15 odd years and love plays) but I'm sort of fed up with them. I personally think About needs to get some of their act together and be a bit more professional. I expect to not get a yes or no from small jobs but for a big name deal their email sucks.

I just got a rejection today -- you'll never guess for which topic. Breastfeeding! Wow, really? I had no idea that they filled that ;)

I like to hear a no rather than nothing for months and months.

Geez.

~ Jennifer

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
OK...I need serious, rapid advice.

Today (like, just now) I learned that I've been accepted into Prep for Senior Travel. (Sadly, I squeezed into the demographic.)

That's the good news.

Bad news...It is suppposed to start next Friday, and we have committed to a weekend trip to our old hometown in WV...on a mountain, where there is NO internet access.

Do you think the About.com folks will adjust the Prep dates or my first submission requirement? Since I have done Prep before, I know full well I can't lose those 3 days of work and expect to do well.

All tips appreciated.

Thanks!

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Question here: Let's say I propose a topic to About and eventually they say they like it. Do they then put it up on the board for everyone to have a crack at it? Or would I go immediately to prep all by myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.