CONTRACT OR COLLABORATION?

tigerman13

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a first time writer and would much appreciate advise as how to structure a freelance book writing agreement between myself (author) and the subject (who is also the client).

I will be writing a book for him about his field of expertise by interviewing him and doing extensive research. He will self publish it. At least initially.

I'm not confident we have a very unique or commercially viable work or subject (sort of a parody work in the genre), so I am asking to be paid a flat fee with revenue sharing.

Also, he doesn't really know what he wants in terms of an outline so I will have to research the subject and generate it as well as largely drive the entire process.

I'd love some advise on what type of agreement I such generate for this project...

a.) a writing collaboration with a section for the "advance" or flat fee

-or-

b.) freelance writing for hire contract with a profit sharing section

I have boiler plate templates for both contracts.

QUESTIONS:
1. What is the best and most appropriate contract to base the agreement?

2. Is it achievable to customize the contract without a lawyer? If not what is the most cost effective route to pursue in contract preparation?

3. Also, is there any book writing planning template, process or reference I can use to guide the process? I feel he wants to be involved in every last detail since we've never done this before and I'd prefer to guide the process and minimize redundancies to streamline the work process.

4. Should I send out a book writing proposal to get us on the same page? If so does anyone have a proposal template or know where i can find one?

Any other advise to prevent the pitfalls of being first time writer collaborating with a micromanager:) are greatly encouraged.

Thanks,

Tigerman13

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

:welcome: Welcome to AW! You're among friends, relax and have a coffee and cookies. We're here to watch your back.

I'm a first time writer and would much appreciate advise as how to structure a freelance book writing agreement between myself (author) and the subject (who is also the client).

I will be writing a book for him about his field of expertise by interviewing him and doing extensive research. He will self publish it. At least initially.
That's a red flag. The guy is unaware that commercial publishers are NOT likely to buy a previously published work. They don't want reprints, but first rights.

I've seen this before with someone thinking they can self-pub, that the book will be a great success, and the next step will be the Big Six (or as it may soon be, the Big Five) fighting over the title at a book auction.

In the back of their mind will be a movie deal with George Clooney playing the lead.

The cold bucket of reality is that just doesn't happen. Even Amanda Hocking, who sold tons of self-pub YA books on Kindle, signed a deal for a *new* series with a commercial house. They didn't want her Kindle books.

So let's take the pro pub deal out of the picture: some guy wants you to write his book and you either get a flat fee or a share of the earnings.

Ghostwriting fees, straight from Writer's Market: http://www.writersmarket.com/assets/pdf/How_Much_Should_I_Charge.pdf

I think once you make this client acquainted with the economic reality, he's going to run for the hills. He wants slave labor, not a ghostwriter.

I'm not confident we have a very unique or commercially viable work or subject
Ding-ding-ding go the alarm bells. Listen to them.

sort of a parody work in the genre),
Check around Amazon. Are there pro published books like the one he's got in mind? Have you heard of them, seen them in stores? Are they selling? Parodies are not popular unless they're by Names. Comedians and actors can get away with modest sales, but not John Doe.
so I am asking to be paid a flat fee with revenue sharing.
Let's put the fee in the 5-figure level. That separates the dreamers from serious players. Otherwise, he's wasting your time.

You might reasonably ask just WHY he's willing to settle for an inexperienced, first time writer for such a project. Serious players are going to look for ghosts with a track record, not just the first brave soul who answered the ad.

Have you conducted and sold any interviews? It's an art to draw people out. There's more to it than having a recorder running and transcribing what's said.

Again--why is he interested in having someone with no track record take on this job? He's either desperately cheap, has an ego the size of an aircraft carrier, or clueless. Any of those makes a good reason to walk away.

Also, he doesn't really know what he wants in terms of an outline so I will have to research the subject and generate it as well as largely drive the entire process.
Another red flag! (With alarm bells.) Oi vey, run away.

The other party should know exactly what he wants for the book. This sounds to me that he's got a vague idea of what it should be, but is leaving the heavy lifting to you. If that's the case, then you get paid at least 5 figures.

I've seen this before -- some squirrel with an overblown sense of self-importance wants to have a book about himself, but the actual writing part is too much like work.

He's unwilling or unable to hire a proper ghost for the job and puts an ad somewhere hoping to rope in slave labor with promises of cash in the nebulous future.

I'd love some advisce on what type of agreement I such generate for this project...
Run like hell. I don't know of any ghostwriter who would agree to such a deal.

-or-

Since most self-pub books rarely sell more than 50 copies, you may want to opt for a flat fee and make damn sure it's at least 5-figures.

He may swallow his tongue at that quote, but you'll either get it or not.

I'd turn the whole deal down, and I sure could use the money, but the guy sounds squirrelly, even at second hand via your description of the "deal."

It sounds like you're new to the business as well, else you wouldn't be here. Again, an experienced freelance ghostwriter would not walk into this one unless the money is solid and the check has cleared.

This squirrel wants you to do all the work? Fine. Make sure he PAYS you for it.

Otherwise you're slave labor. You want something solid on your writing resume, not a "learning experience."

This sounds a great deal like a post in another part of the freelancing forum:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257589

Is this something from Craig's List? It sounds just that hinky.

QUESTIONS:

2. Is it achievable to customize the contract without a lawyer? If not what is the most cost effective route to pursue in contract preparation?

3. Also, is there any book writing planning template, process or reference I can use to guide the process? I feel he wants to be involved in every last detail since we've never done this before and I'd prefer to guide the process and minimize redundancies to streamline the work process.

4. Should I send out a book writing proposal to get us on the same page? If so does anyone have a proposal template or know where i can find one?

Any other advise to prevent the pitfalls of being first time writer collaborating with a micromanager:) are greatly encouraged.

Thanks,

Tigerman13
Oh, lordy. Run for the hills, tigerman13, this moron is out to skin you. He may not be intentional about it, but you don't need to hand him the knife.'

Find some other way to earn freelance money. There are plenty of books in the library to help on that. The fact that you're not comfortable with this deal means your gut is telling you to back away.

You're a first time writer and thus ripe for getting ripped off. This guy may be sincere, but he can still mess you around.

Micro-manager? Again--run. You're NEVER going to satisfy him. He's got a vague idea in his head, expects someone else to make it real, and it's NEVER going to get there.

A certain type of person is only able to say "That's not what I want" yet is unable to communicate what they do want. You're not a mind reader.

Let some other neo crash and burn on these rocks.

tigerman13

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your candid and pointed response. Much appreciated Mr. Gillhoughly!

Yes, he's a bit 'less of clues' being new to the process and I think he wants me to walk him through the process, which is painful and time killing. I want to avoid this.

He knows I am fairly well versed in the subject matter and we've worked together in past (in a different capacity) so he's comfortable with me. I'm also in the Philippines which is where he's located so he has the comfort of my physical accessibility.

He's a fr-olleague (half friend, half colleague) and I am interested in the project as I'm interested in subject matter as long as the process can be controlled and the compensation warrant the time trade off. Pain per dollar must work out in profitably for me.

I agree with the flat fee point. With no outline or clear briefing from him, loads of research required and an extremely tight deadline (one month) on a 200-300 page book, can you give me an estimate as what to charge for the project?

Many thanks

Travis

p.s. Any good reference or link for a "How to interview subjects" I can review.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
There are certainly a lot of alarm bells going on there!

But if you're still interested in this one, the way I'd price it would be to break it into two sections since you really don't know what it's going to take. Phase I would be the consulting phase. This is where you would get paid to find out how long it will take. This process will take some time and some research. Figure out how much your time is worth, make an estimate on how long it will take you, then there's your price. The result of the consulting phase will be a plan on how to actually complete the book. That will include detailed estimates on how long various parts will take. In my opinion, only after you have that in place can you possibly give an estimate on the rest.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
That deadline is wholly unrealistic for a 300 page book, considering all the work he wants done.

Again, walk away. This is a bad deal and I doubt any cordial relations will result in the end.

You call it micro-manager, I call it control freak and there's no pleasing them. You'll have a solid month of him riding your arse on every tiny detail and demanding rewrites--and he will want tons of changes.

I've seen this before and I've been through this before. I would only ever consider it if the pay starts at 10 grand with additional charges for rewrites.

You may inform him that the average book advance from most publishers is about $2,200-5,000 bucks--if they are feeling generous. He needs to do the arithmetic and decide if he can afford to indulge his ego to that degree. He seems to be ignorant about the publishing industry. It's not a money machine. You don't put in a book and get a jackpot. Just because you have a book to sell doesn't mean any publisher will buy it--especially if he self-publishes it first.

I sent a link to ghostwriting fees in my previous post. It's a PDF file straight out of Writer's Market. A professional ghost can start at 5 figures and go up from there.

You can find plenty of info on how to do interviews in the library or try searching Google. Get used to it. This guy is going to have you at his beck and call 24/7.

Make sure to look up a ghostwriter's contract, there should be some boilerplates online. the contract is to protect you both.

He wants YOU to do all the heavy lifting, alllllll the work. If you decide to enter this kind of deal--and it's a BAD one--then you make sure you're well paid for the annoyance. If he balks and wants a discount for being a friend, nuts to that. This is business.

Last edited:

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
If you do go forward, consult a lawyer in your jurisdiction. This is NOT do-it-yourself territory.

JD, not giving individual legal advice, other than to consult an attorney.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes.

And when the end of the month comes, reasearch and interviews all done, material processed, manuscript finished and revised and edited, arrangements all completed, done and dusted, book published, cash all paid over, and no further involvement needed? Sure. Dream on.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My primary advice would be to not do it, as it smells of crazy. Failing that negotiate a flat fee to be delivered according to certain landmarks with a good portion up front, so you are not left out of pocket when the client's demands become impossible to meet and hundred of hours of your time go down the rabbit hole of ill-defined work-product demands.

tigerman13

Registered
Reaction score
Appreciate the constructive comments gents.

Agree to most of the points. My POV: Every project has a price. I'd pick lint of out lonely belly buttons at the right price point. My lint removal services start at $100 per hour. Toe and belly group packages also available.

My objective is project management controls and setting the right price for the project. Favorable pain per dollar relationship.

Perhaps a flat fee capped with-in a time period or a price per hour is the way forward to manage it?

@Gillhoughly, i will be asking for credit in same size lettering to build my folio. So wouldn't this be a freelance work-for-hire contract as opposed to ghost writer?

@Jeffo, I've used a consulting phase other than for information gathering. Is there any reference you share with me online as to how to structure the meeting and a checklist of pertinent questions to ask? Also what would you charge and approximately how much time would you allocate to the consulting phase?

Thanks again to all. The force is strong in this forum.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Every project has a price but having worked as a ghostwriter on several projects now, I have to say that I doubt I'd work on this one unless I was offered a huge amount of money.

The amount of work you'd have to do just isn't feasible within the timescale you've mentioned.

If you're determined to go ahead then you need a very tight contract which covers all outcomes. Staged payments are a must.

You might find that if the book is ever published (and who is going to submit it? How? If you, what will your subject do if you fail to find a publisher?) you won't want your name on the cover--for example, if your subject decides to edit or amend it to his taste he might well turn it into a mess.

You have so little experience and knowledge of how ghostwriting projects work that I am very concerned that you won't know the potential problems to cater for, or how to avoid them. That you're asking for a list of pertinent questions to ask suggests that you don't understand what's what here, and the potential for you to get into serious trouble as a result is huge.

As for what I'd charge to write this book: given the deadline involved and the potential problems I'd want in excess of £10,000 (perhaps twice that, but I can't tell without knowing more about the person and story involved). But I'd make sure that the person paying the money knew and fully understood how unlikely it was that he would recoup any of that money.

I urge you not to take this project on. I see nothing but unhappiness for you if you do go ahead with it. I hope I'm wrong, but I strongly suspect that I'm not.

tigerman13

Registered
Reaction score
@Old Hack, as mentioned it'll be self published. Not concerned about the publishing outcome as it's out of my scope. As also mentioned I am a first time writer but 12 year advertising vet. I understand and respect there are skill set differences between the two forms. Hence, the use of the forum and the questions to achieve the "what's what."

Agree with the sum. Will likely offer two options: a.) flat fee of 25k (maybe higher) or b.) $100 per hour. Make it good or gone.

Legal question:
-Does one need permission/release to use stories involving famous people or famous events?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You seem to be looking for a magic lantern - there isn't one.

If you accept this job I do hope when the thirty days expire you return here and let us know how it all turned out.

I also hope you don't then re-read the advice given here and wish you had heeded it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You might well get in trouble if you cover stories about real-life people, whether they're famous or not. If you cover real life events, then those are going to involve people, so they're pretty much the same thing.

Having permission from the people concerned won't necessarily stop them from suing you if and when the book is published. Mind you, being honest, truthful and non-defamatory won't stop that happening either, but be careful. Find a lawyer who understands this area of the law and how it relates to publishing.

Many people assume that books earn a packet of money for their authors: they are wrong. Make sure your subject realises that he is almost certainly not going to see back any of his investment in this, because it's not fair to proceed otherwise.

And working in advertising does not qualify you to write a book. Not in any way. It's not book-writing. I am puzzled about why you've been asked to work on this project when you seem to have no knowledge of how writing, ghostwriting, or publishing works. I don't think you should do it. But I do wish you luck.

tigerman13

Registered
Reaction score
@Old Hack, enlighten me. What qualifies one to write a book? If you read my post you would have realized I clearly said I'm a first time writer. What are you missing?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Generally what qualifies one to write a book for a paying client is a history of having written previous viable books.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To which the obvious comeback is- but everybody has to start somewhere.

But that somewhere isn't usually in the deep end and charging a fee of $25,000.00 or more with no guarantee of (and a good chance of not) being able to deliver. That's the equivalent of jumping off the end of the pier with a concrete block tied to your ankles and expecting to float to the surface.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
@Old Hack, enlighten me. What qualifies one to write a book? If you read my post you would have realized I clearly said I'm a first time writer. What are you missing?

I think the point Old Hack was trying to make was that you should go into this with your eyes wide open. There are people who would take advantage of a naive new writer--scammers abound. The fact that someone would ask you to take on this sort of a project, when you have no experience with such things, raises a flaming red flag. She's merely trying to help. No offense meant, none should be taken.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

Tiger, others have already answered your question but I'll have a crack at it too. I warn you that it's not going to be easy reading for you: but you have asked, and I think you're keen to learn and listen, so I'm going to be blunt now and try to show you why I'm so very concerned about this, and why I have so many doubts about you writing this book.

A first-time writer is almost certainly going to struggle with writing a readable book in a month. Especially one which requires a lot of research and discussion with another person, as does the one you've described. I've written several books this way: they take time to get right, even though I know what I'm doing and am a reasonably experienced writer (nearly thirty years, and more than thirty books, so far).

When I read your comments in this thread I see quite a few statements which suggest to me that you don't actually understand the size of the task ahead of you, and that you don't know enough about writing to do the work justice.

For example:

That paragraph is not elegant or easy to read. You have a homophone substitution. You use over-complex and inaccurate terms.

More wordy and clunky text. A suggestion that your client is intending to look for a trade publishing deal after having self published the book, which is unlikely to work.

I'm not confident we have a very unique or commercially viable work or subject (sort of a parody work in the genre), so I am asking to be paid a flat fee with revenue sharing.

Any form of comedy is incredibly difficult to get right. Parody is particularly difficult. And if you're paid a flat fee, that's it: no "revenue sharing" (by which I assume you mean royalties). Once again you've demonstrated a lack of knowledge about publishing.

More clumsy, confusing writing; more misuse of words (you're going to generate your subject? what?); and a very casual approach to something that I know is going to be a huge amount of work.

I'd love some advise on what type of agreement I such generate for this project...

-or-

An advance is a lot different to a flat fee, but you're suggesting here that they're the same thing.

If you do work for hire you don't get a share of the profits.

The agreements involved are usually called contracts.

And your punctuation is lacking.

I have boiler plate templates for both contracts.

Where did you find those boiler-plate contracts? Are they from a publisher? If so, they'll favour the publisher and you'll need to substantially rework them. To do that you'll need a specialist lawyer with experience in dealing in publishing.

QUESTIONS:

We can't tell you this. You need a lawyer for this.

More clunky phrasing. More casual assumptions. More evidence that you don't know what you're doing here, and are hugely out of your depth. And yes, you will need a lawyer and the most cost-effective route does not necessarily mean finding the cheapest one.

All this depends on the book you're writing, and who you're writing it with or for. We can't tell you where to find a template for your book because you're the one writing it, not us; and if you don't even know how to structure the book or write your own outline, how are you going to write the book itself?

Who are you planning to send your proposal to? If you don't have an outline or proposal for this book already, how do you know how much work it will take for you to write the book? Do you even know how long the book is going to be? And if you don't have a proposal or an outline, how are you going to produce a contract for the work involved?

Again, that homophone substitution. You need to work on that. You also have a missing word or two in that two-line paragraph. This does not fill me with confidence about the book you're going to write.

That's one of your posts here dealt with. I'll not deal with the others in such detail: instead I'll pick out the points which worry me the most.

Yes, he's a bit 'less of clues' being new to the process and I think he wants me to walk him through the process, which is painful and time killing. I want to avoid this... He's a fr-olleague (half friend, half colleague)

Those made-up words are coy and artificial and inelegant and wrong. They pull your reader out of your text and stop them dead in their tracks. This is not what you want to achieve, as a writer, and their presence in your writing here is a big clue to me that your writing isn't yet up to par. Not for a whole book. And if you only have a month to learn to write more effectively, you don't have enough time. Not nearly enough. Not if you want to write an effective, readable, interesting book.

Pain per dollar must work out in profitably for me.

That doesn't make sense.

I agree with the flat fee point. With no outline or clear briefing from him, loads of research required and an extremely tight deadline (one month) on a 200-300 page book, can you give me an estimate as what to charge for the project?

You don't count books in pages, you count them in words. How long do you envision this book to be? Is it going to be a picture book, with just a few words per page? Is it going to be a novel, with perhaps 250 words to each page? Or how about a textbook with 3-400 words a page?

p.s. Any good reference or link for a "How to interview subjects" I can review.

You don't know how to interview your subject? You have even more to learn than I thought. This is a really big issue. And a really big problem.

My objective is project management controls and setting the right price for the project. Favorable pain per dollar relationship.

Shouldn't your objective be writing a good book?

Perhaps a flat fee capped with-in a time period or a price per hour is the way forward to manage it?

Perhaps. And perhaps you also need to learn how to write a smooth, readable sentence, and to spell "within".

@Gillhoughly, i will be asking for credit in same size lettering to build my folio.

You need to work on your writing still, for both clarity and smoothness.

The font-size used on the jacket of the book, if and when it's eventually published, is a very minor point here; and a self-published ghost-written memoir isn't going to impress anyone in publishing unless it sells tens--perhaps hundreds--of thousands of copies, which is very unlikely: most self published books sell fewer than 200 copies. This book isn't going to "build [your] folio" unless your objective is to continue to ghost-write self published books.

So wouldn't this be a freelance work-for-hire contract as opposed to ghost writer?

Not necessarily.

@Jeffo, I've used a consulting phase other than for information gathering.

Jargon. I don't know what that means.

Is there any reference you share with me online as to how to structure the meeting and a checklist of pertinent questions to ask?

More clumsy writing, this time with missing words and clunky construction.

Also what would you charge and approximately how much time would you allocate to the consulting phase?

What "consulting phase"? I don't know what you mean.

As also mentioned I am a first time writer but 12 year advertising vet. I understand and respect there are skill set differences between the two forms. Hence, the use of the forum and the questions to achieve the "what's what."

Working in advertising is not the same as writing books.

Writing isn't something you can learn how to do by asking a few questions at AbsoluteWrite, marvellous though this place is.

You are so far away from having the skills you need to write this book.

###​

Tigerman, I'm really sorry to be so very blunt. I really don't intend to upset or offend you: I just wanted to show you the things I'm picking up in your comments, in order to help you understand why I don't think you're prepared to take on this project. I wouldn't have gone into such detail had you not asked me to explain.

You are vastly underprepared to write this book. You are not yet a good writer; you've never written a book before; you don't know how to write an outline or proposal for the book; you don't know where to go to get a good contract; you don't know how to interview your subject; you don't have nearly enough time to do all this, even if you were a good writer already; and so on and so forth.

I hope this is a help. I hope I've not hurt your feelings. And I hope you don't end up in a nasty mess if you do decide to go ahead with writing this book. I fear you will, but I really hope you won't.

tigerman13

Registered
Reaction score
@Old Hack, I appreciate your salty and indulgent, Strunk and White analysis of my casual forum writing style.:) However, in the 1893 words you used in attempt to discredit me, you managed to evade the one simple question I asked you, "What qualifies one to write a book?" Please just give a straight answer. We can discuss a fee structure for your editing skills when the time is the appropriate.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Tigerman, you're obviously upset. I'm sorry: I did try to reassure you in my long post that I knew it would be hard for you, and that I didn't intend to hurt you with it. The thing is this writing lark is difficult, and I've seen lots of people get themselves into pickles because they didn't know enough about it to realise that before they started.

My comments owed nothing to Strunk or White, who were both concerned with academic writing and not commercial prose, which is my particular area of expertise. I believe the book you're considering writhing is a trade book, not an academic one, so if you do go ahead with it don't refer to Strunk and White: it won't help you much and might well damage your prose.

There's a close relationship between how one writes in informal settings and how good a writer one is. Those of us whose forum writing style shows the errors I highlighted in your posts tend to write poorly when writing on a longer, more formal piece; those who write more coherent, literate posts tend to exhibit those same traits when writing books.

To answer your question, the only qualification one needs to write a book is the inclination to try. When one is considering taking money from someone in order to write a book for them, however, one should have skill, knowledge and experience, and the scruples to know that one shouldn't take the job if one is lacking in any of the other three areas.

I wasn't trying to discredit you and if that's what you got from my post then you misread it. Please reread my comment and try to remember that I'm trying to help you here. Once again, I'm sorry that I upset you. It wasn't intended.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
tigerman, many people would give an eye tooth to get this kind of meticulous and thoughtful critique on a Show Your Work post and Old Hack just did it for you on a regular forum post. I don't think you realize the time that was taken to do this for you simply to make a point and possibly save you some grief. I understand how, being a newbie, this might seem like a smack down, but it's really not at all. Maybe when you've cooled down a little, you'll see it for what it is and perhaps be a bit more appreciative of the effort.

tigerman13

Registered
Reaction score
@Old Hack. There's a fine line between constructive and destructive feedback. At no time did I ask you to critique my grammar or sentence construction. This was not a Show Your Work post. That was petty. I could return the favor and point out errors one by one but that's not how I want to participate in this forum. I appreciate constructive feedback but let's not overstep boundaries.

I'm sure being a seasoned writer you will also know the meaning and message and tone are always the writer's responsibility not the reader's. I'll leave it with you as to how you want to operate in this forum. I'd hope in a constructive way. That's what I'm here for. Anyway onwards and happy belated Halloween.:)

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
@Old Hack. There's a fine line between constructive and destructive feedback. At no time did I ask you to critique my grammar or sentence construction. This was not a Show Your Work post. That was petty. I could return the favor and point out errors one by one but that's not how I want to participate in this forum. I appreciate constructive feedback but let's not overstep boundaries.

I'm sure being a seasoned writer you will also know the meaning and message and tone are always the writer's responsibility not the reader's. I'll leave it with you as to how you want to operate in this forum. I'd hope in a constructive way. That's what I'm here for. Anyway onwards and happy belated Halloween.:)

Old Hack gave you a brief outline of the kinds of problems that beset beginning writers. But she didn't go as far as the difficulties confronting a book writer who has only done advertising writing. The two kinds of work are qualitatively different on a number of levels.

Advertising tends to be short and punchy. It's catch the eye quickly and stick in the mind long enough work. Books vary far more in intensity and purpose. Some parts will hit, some will soothe, some will guide, some reveal, some conceal etc. But it's not enough to be able to do each of those kinds of writing. The arrangement of the book will have to have proper pacing and variations in pacing. And even that is not sufficient understanding to write a book.

The hard truth is this: Writing takes work. Writing takes a great deal of time, effort, and masses of trial, error, and criticism to learn to do right. An experienced writer would blanch at the terms of the work you would have to do for this job. It's certainly not the kind of project to use for on the job training.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
The OP doesn't want to know why he shouldn't... he wants to know how he can, despite the red flags and pitfalls that are obvious to the more experienced. Toward that end, I offer:

1. Get yourself a huge supply of whatever product(s) you prefer for stomach settling, headache relief, and frustration.

2. Prepare yourself for having a new enemy in your circle of froleagues. You may still be colleagues when this project is abandoned, but you won't be friends.

3. Get yourself a lawyer. You'll need one for the unpleasantness to follow.

4. Develop a taste for crow. You'll be eating some.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Tigerman, while we take a few moments to let you digest the information you've been given, let’s talk about where you landed in your search for answers to your questions: Absolute Write. Whether you came here as a result of performing research or as a referral, you landed in the right place. AW is a writers’ forum, and membership ranges from not-yet-published writers to very-well-published writers to agents, editors, and publishers. What that means to you is that you’re receiving some of the best-qualified advice in the business for free.

An Absolute Sage, as Gillhoughly is, is someone so experienced in the business that all turn to them for advice. Old Hack is a Super Moderator, as well as an absolute sage. Old Hack has forgotten more on a good morning than some of us (especially me) will ever know. (Check out the links in Old Hack’s signature for verification of that statement.)

It seems to me that your client is not the only one with stars in his eyes. You asked how to protect yourself in this arrangement. Instead, you learned from highly qualified and experienced sources that this is a project no experienced ghostwriter would take on. It’s fraught with problems before you even get started, beginning with a client who doesn’t know exactly what he wants and can’t provide you with a rough outline. Again, no experienced and well-published ghostwriter would take on this project. This is NOT the project to launch your career as a writer. Find one less problematic, one that’s not guaranteed to kill—or at least stall--your career before it begins.

Regarding your comments to Old Hack: Old Hack's place on this forum is well earned in terms of knowledge, experience, and a willingness an eagerness to help others be the best writers they can be. When someone new to the forum asks for advice, as you have, his level of expertise and experience is also evaluated to determine the best advice to offer. Did I mention AW membership includes agents, editors, and publishers? As writers, we know word choice and grammar count, and we correct each other all the time.

Consider seriously the advice you’ve been given. The best advice is almost always painful to hear.