Not open for further replies.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Hi Glamour177,

Without copy-pasting the entire excerpt over here, I can't really offer a detailed crit, but a couple of things struck me right off the bat.

First, and most importantly by FAR, first-person-present-tense is incredibly, incredibly difficult to pull off. A lot of readers find it annoying and distasteful; that's the main reason books written that way are so rare. It's also very tricky to make consistent, and there are some tense errors in your chapter (like "Ten minutes pass as I sat there debating..." and "I glance at the clock again and mentally dissect how I would divide the time I have remaining.").

There are also quite a few distancing phrases used: "I notice my hand is still holding" instead of "My hand is still holding" (although really that should be "I'm still holding." You don't have to write "think to [your]self," as it's impossible to think to another person (unless you're writing a paranormal about telepaths).

Last, although you've obviously started your story in the right place--when your MC receives the flash drive--nothing really happens in the chapter. She gets the tape. She looks at the tape. She describes the tape. She thinks about the backstory and tells herself not to cry. Then she thinks about her plans for the evening and how she's always late for things. She lists every action she takes in closing the tape case, walking to another oom, opening the CD player, putting the CD in, closing the CD player, etc. Then she decides to take a shower. She gets in and lathers her hair, while telling herself how upset the tape will probably make her. She looks up at things; she looks down at things. She runs into the living room.

Do you see what I mean? You don't need to describe every little action she performs, and while the situation she's in is very interesting, the details of inserting a CD and washing her hair are not.

You have this great set-up, one that sets the reader up for lots of emotional tension. And you've portrayed some of that tension. But there's no corresponding tension in her activities, and rather than showing us what kind of person she is, you're telling us. Your story hook gives you a fantastic way to show us what the MC's relationship with Mason was, by playing the songs and showing us what memories and feelings they evoke. A relationship told through music is a lovely idea, and one we can all relate to. But by giving us all the info up front you've destroyed the tension. This is a very, very common mistake, so don't think it means something as far as your talent or your ability to write sellable work. It doesn't. It just means you're starting out, the way each and every one of us did.

I think the potential is definitely there, and I hope you focus on that and that you've found my comments helpful, as my intention is to help.

I also highly recommend you buy (or check out at the library) Elements of Style by Strunk & White, Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Browne & King, and The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman. They're excellent books; they helped me--and pretty much every single writer I know--immensely.

Have fun, and don't give up! :)

Glamour177

Needs to Learn Patience.
Registered
Reaction score
The tense issue was a big deal for me. One of my beta readers had advised that the book should be written in past tense, while everything in dialogue is written in present tense.

I had no clue! I looked at all the books that were around me. Lo and behold, he was right! So I started switching everything to past tense. I got through half of the book when a friend of mine questioned me. She said she swears she has read books that are in present tense. So I look at another set of books - my chick lit books, and they are all first-person-present tense.

Oy vey! So I go through the book again and change everything back over. And now it is all kinds of distorted. And obviously I haven't caught everything.

Really though, that isn't an excuse; I do have a horrible habit of switching between past, present and future tenses in my writing and definitely something I have to work on.

I read this great post on Jenny Bent's blog that has inspired me to believe my book can be salvaged. I believe in and love my concept, but I understand that I may have to just open up a blank word document and start from scratch.

Nya RAyne

On the verge of greatness
Registered
Reaction score
In a house on a corner, next to this old lady and
I totally understand when you said on your blog that your story is your baby, we all feel like that way about the stories that we write, because, well, you know that writing is a very lonely task and we as writers put our heart and souls into those words that we hear so oftern are just not good enough. So, yeah, I totally understand.

Anyway, if you really want the best for your baby, file it away for now and start a new project, and then come back to it and gut it. Seriously, split it down the middle with a dirty knife and pull out everythng that gives you pause or you find as weak.

Oh, and speaking from experience, please do post your query in the SWY war room, it helps loads!!

xccorpio

Registered
Reaction score
Glamour17, going a little off topic, last night while watching youtube videos I found one that made me recall your story. Interesting isn't it? I was remembering stuff from those times, and I thought of your book. Anyways, the song is unrelated, but it sprang the memory.

The Jets - You Got it All

Ah! When MTV was worthy watching. Oh, noes, we really dressed like that back them!

Glamour177

Needs to Learn Patience.
Registered
Reaction score
Glamour17, going a little off topic, last night while watching youtube videos I found one that made me recall your story. Interesting isn't it? I was remembering stuff from those times, and I thought of your book. Anyways, the song is unrelated, but it sprang the memory.

The Jets - You Got it All

Ah! When MTV was worthy watching. Oh, noes, we really dressed like that back them!

LOL! That was great! "Crush on You" was my favorite. Yeah, these videos were before any of the songs in my book, but it would still make for a great story if it took place in the 80's. No matter what anyone else tells me, the 80's had some awesome music (Tiffany anyone?)

Status
Not open for further replies.