On critique of a Professional poem...

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Poets are humans and humans are fallible, so even with the greatest poets, there are still some boring/unmoving poems- or simply ones that aren't expressed as well as others.

The name would not change whether I disliked it or not but it might change my appreciation of it.

red

><> Flop of the hour to ya.
Registered
Reaction score
I read the poem independent from the author. Then depending on the subject matter I look to see whose hand jotted it down.Certain subjects have a better impact if the author has brought his or her experiences with it. That is, pain or indulgence. When this is done with subjects such as a specific sorrow or poverty it brings something raw to the work that a poet sitting safe on a hillside doesn't/can't. Even with debauchery, or more saintly topics. I usually ask, "Is this poet a reading researcher, or out in the field?" "If in the trenches, to what extent of the described reality did the writer partake?" The further the poet has delved into the world, the more merit. This makes black ink sheen. One should stick to prose about bird watching lest you write someone else's story, coming off as an eager dilettante no matter how great a master, but even then I'd rather read what the bird would say if it could write or type. hee. ~:>cluck

Last edited: