What are you reading?

Alan_Often

Swashbuckler
Registered
Reaction score
Simultaneously reading A Brave Vessel by Hobson Woodward and, in a deal with my significant other to persuade her to read the Hobbit, I've read the first 3 Harry Potters. Not the kind of thing I usually go for, but there's no denying that those books have something special about them.

Fiona

The Banishing, Released March 2011
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fionasfiction.wordpress.com
I'm reading The Exorcist (again) because I just love that book.

I also just finished reading the short ghost story, Apartment 14F, which I loved.

anydayshirley

Registered
Reaction score
The Edible Woman, by Margaret Atwood. I love the way she conveys the main character's passive and growing obsession with food. Genius stuff.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Forced myself to finish reading Nancy J. Cohen's Permed to Death. It is the WORST commercially published novel I have ever read all the way through. It started with some promise (albeit a rather strange and unconvincing method of murder), and descended to the point where I assume the editor gave up in disgust and just let the atrocious dialogue and stiff, wooden, bloated narrative (not to mention preposterous interaction between protagonist and investigating police officer) pass. By the time I realized how the awfulness was escalating, I figured I might as well drag myself through the rest of it. Incredibly, that book, published in mass market paperback in 1999, has recently been republished.

The only rival for awfulness (and a book I was not able to finish reading) is Murder in the Swamp, by Dorothy Kliewer, which had the added awfulness of spelling and punctuation errors. (You can buy it used for a penny, and overpriced at that.) Here is an excerpt from my Amazon review of that one:

As I near the end of the book (I read on in morbid fascination) I am rewarded by the descent of the dialogue from merely stilted to luminously, transcendently horrible. NO ONE talks like that! For example to give the flavor, these lines come as a local resident (Lance) and lawman (Aaron) discuss the crime:

"Might not be insane," Lance replied, "could just be an evil person, a human predator of women."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[Aaron speaks:] "Yes, strangled, but we don't know what was used to do that dastardly deed."

The dialogue has become so bad by this point in the book (p. 193 of 253) as to be hilarious. I am actually laughing out loud. It is as though the author simply reached a point at which she slapped down any words that came to mind simply to bring the book to an end. No editorial hand can have touched the manuscript.

I've turned to another Diane Mott Davidson effort, Sweet Revenge, to repair my mental state.

--Ken

Elias Graves

Unrealistically Optimistic
Registered
Reaction score
Pilgrim is finished. Meh.
Now...I, Claudius and Hound of the Baskervilles (fifth time :D)

EG

Tnonk

Registered
Reaction score
Wrapping up 12:01 P.M. by Richard A. Lupoff tonight and I'll be back on the Mysterious Island by Verne tomorrow.
I've read M.I. 4 or 5 times since the 5th grade. I originally read it because it was the thickest book I had seen up to that point (5th grade). Good decision on my part back then.

Adrian

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I recently read Time Travellers Never Die, an entertaining romp through history that really makes you stop and wonder what you would do if you could travel to any point in time and who would you like to meet?

I'm now reading Death Star, a Star Wars novel. Never say my reading choices are not diverse! :D

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
First 50 pages of A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks: the lives of 7 people over 7 days in 2007, in London.
Funny depiction of book critic so far, also lots of financial lingo.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Coffin County. I don't like it when suddenly horror turns into fantasy...

Ursula

Registered
Reaction score
First book by Jonathan Kellerman When the Bough Breaks.
Love all his books.

AEFerreira

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa. Distubing but excellent.

Currently working through Irving Stone's The Agony and the Ecstacy, and I love the detail Stone describes Renassaince Italy with! This has been on my list forever, I'm so glad I've finally gotten around to it.

The next in the queue is Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer, and then my "Christmas Break" book is going to be a re-read of The Once and Future King by TH White.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Just picked up The Lost Dogs (the story about the rescued Michael Vick pit bulls), i have had it on hold for over a month at the library. Read 3 chapters and had to put it down. So sad and disgusting. But I want to keep reading because I know most of them are rehapbilitated, and it has a (mostly) happy ending.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Currently I'm reading a collection of historical essays by Ben Thompson, called Badass: A Relentless Onslaught of the Toughest Warlords, Vikings, Samurai, Pirates, Gunfighters, and Military Commanders To Ever Live.

It's very enjoyable, and even though it's tongue-in-cheek, it's based on real history. But what I find truly remarkable is how it came to be. Ben Thompson has a website, www.badassoftheweek.com. Essentially, a blog, which Thompson's been writing in his spare time for years while working a regular day job. As far as I can tell, there are no ads on the site, except for its own merchandise (the book, and tee-shirts). There's a button for donations.

So I don't know if the website itself makes any real money, but the amazing thing to me is that (as far as I know), Thompson got a publishing contract for a book based on the popularity of his blog.

Saavedra

a mean mother hubbard.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rubiemagazine.com
I'm making my way through Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies and Swimming in Sky by Inman Majors, my writing prof. With winter break now in session, Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is next on the choppingblock.

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie and Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey.

Elias Graves

Registered
Reaction score
I, Claudius is finished. Good read. Written as an autobiography of events leading up to his ascenscion to powere. Following the names is challenging at times, but overall a very cool interpretation of life in the Roman period.

Moving on to some nonfiction about the fire of Rome and a biography of Nero.

EG

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Elias, if you like I, Claudius, then I recommend Suetonius' The Twelve Caesars. IIRC, his grandfather was alive during some of the latter 12's reigns, so it's almost up-to-the-minute. Plus, it reads like a Hollywood scandal sheet. I've reread it several times.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading The Autobiography of Mark Twain, Vol 1, but I'm beginning to think I should stop letting people know. As much as I love his fiction, this is turning out to be a crashing bore.

Elias Graves

Registered
Reaction score
Elias, if you like I, Claudius, then I recommend Suetonius' The Twelve Caesars. IIRC, his grandfather was alive during some of the latter 12's reigns, so it's almost up-to-the-minute. Plus, it reads like a Hollywood scandal sheet. I've reread it several times.

As I was saying when my stupid blackberry decided to shut down....

Thanks for the tip. I'm amazed Rome survived as long as it did with all the killing that went on.

RE: Twain. His fiction and his nonfiction are two entirely different worlds, no? What a bitter man.

EG

Reaction score
I'm reading 'The Blank Slate' by Stephen Pinker, 'Truth and Truthfulness' by Bernard Williams (fits well with the wikileaks controversy) and 'Fight Club' by Chuck Palahniuk.

schadenfreude

good with salt
Registered
Reaction score
My annual read of Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. :) Ah, Christmas, the time of Sebastian Flyte, Winston Smith, Dorian Gray and Middle Earth.