The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveKuzminski

Re: Or maybe...

By the way, I didn't find that Section 7 bit on my own. Someone at PA told me about it. I researched and found it was worse than they suggested. It's going to be posted as the first non-recommended workshop at P&E.

There's a lot of folks still at PA that are tired of being taken advantage of. Just that they haven't left yet.

Hey, HB and Marti, Rose is going to give you a kiss for me. I only asked her to say hello. I guess she wants to do some more creative fiction with what others say.

DeePower

Rose's Paragraph 7 on the pa board

Read the last post

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Message
RoseD

1/09/2005
06:20:24
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Subject: Writing communities

I'm not sure if I can do this here however I own
a community for men and women over 18, where over 292 writers/poets/columnists meet and exchange ideas, contest, rate and review and help each other succeed in the writing industry.

Todays-Woman enables you to Showcase your work with bios, pictures, samples and contact info. The site is open to men to and I welcome any of my feelow PA authors to check it out. If you should decide to join just send me a note through feedback your from Pa.

Rose DesRochers
Founder and Administrator
of www.todays-woman.net
Author of She is like the Wind

marti2003

1/09/2005
10:59:53

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp RE: Writing communities

Morning,

I just signed up. Sounds like a good one to join.
michellet

1/09/2005
11:23:55

I think I joined this a few months ago, however, it apears you are required to write something every day, or you are told your membership will be cut. You receive emails ifyou don't post something regularly. I didn't like that.
Saundra Julian

1/09/2005
11:34:08

Went to your site and #7 in the terms and conditions bothers me...what exactly does that mean??

D James

Re: D James, Uncle Jim

"D James and Uncle Jim agreed on something? That's rare, isn't it?"

Jim and I have had a mutual respect for one another since *almost* the beginning. We've agreed on some points, but not on others. Sometimes I think we're stating the same opinion just in different words.

D James

Rose ... is she banned?

Is Rose really not allowed to post here? If so, it isn't fair that we should be discussing her where she can't defend herself.

(And yes I know that she does that to others on the PA board. But if you want to be an Advocate, you have to lead by example.)

D James

D James

Re: another one joins the ranks

As long as the lines of communication are open, and dialog is taking place, there's hope.

And it's more powerful to have someone on your side who was once a stalwart defender for PA, than it is to have those who were never in their clutches.

D James

DaveKuzminski

Rose, banned?

I don't know. Ask Jenna.

In the meantime, she's fighting quite poorly in my opinion over on the Writers Weekly forum.

I have fresh information that she's been attacking numerous writers over the past few months. Sometimes without reason or warning.

If you want to go over there and take part, that's your choice.

vstrauss

Re: another one joins the ranks...or not

>> It was back in 2003. She posted as swtdesrose and BubblesR, mostly in the poetry forum.<<

Oh wow. I remember now. That was some stuff to marvel at.

- Victoria

Amie87

Rose's multiple personalities

I just checked and ezboard still lists "woman0ntop" as an active account (it hasn't been closed by ezboard). So, James, I expect that Rose would be able to post here.

Amie

CaoPaux

Re: Rose's multiple personalities

Heh. From what I've seen recently, that does not bode well. I hope I'm wrong. :\

Kate St Amour

Re: Concerning Rose

Here is what Rose says on the PA boards regarding Section 7:
Saundra it just means that you give us rights to post your work on our site , promote it in our newsletter. We make no profit from the website and you hold all copyright to your work. We also remove it if you should decide to leave. The terms of use we have are the standard one used by msn , yahoo etc. It comes right from FCC.gov.

I admit; I am a chronic skimmer. No matter how many times I read Section 7, I don't see where rights revert back to the author if the author "leaves." Perhaps it's just me, but I tend to get stuck on the portion that lays claim to the author's work--forever.
Read this Excerpt from 7a:
7. Submission of Content on this Web Site
By providing any Content to our web site:
(a) you agree to grant to us a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive right and license (including any moral rights or other necessary rights) to use, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, distribute, perform, promote, archive, translate, and to create derivative works and compilations, in whole or in part. Such license will apply with respect to any form, media, technology known or later developed;

Timothy W Johnson

Re: Dear Tim...

Uncle Jim, D James, and Victoria: thanks-a-million. Guess I was letting my paranoia get the best of me. Gee, and here I am getting paranoid when I’m supposed to be the one creating paranoia on paper for people to enjoy. I’ll have to fix that.

I’ve got a great idea for a story…can’t wait for ya’ll to see the final outcome…

Thanks for all the encouragement; things have been really weird lately.

FM St George

Another thread?

since this is drifting away from PublishAmerica (even tho Rose is an ardent supporter) may I suggest this get it's own thread at this point?

bikrpreacher

Re: Another Lie

Well, before this all gets moved to another thread, may I tell you that the psycho lady of PA has threatened to sue me...only you know in the email, she threatened a "libel suite" lol...I'm in good company over here I think.

:rollin > >D

FM St George

Re: Another Lie

a libel suite?

is that like the Honeymoon Suite at the hotels?

:rollin

finerthingsinlife

When will it end....

Partners,

Got me a brand new rope and a hood. I smell a-lynching a-coming...if they be PA they must be evil, only stands to sense.

Seriously, opposed or for, they're allowed to post, This is becoming such a nonsense!!

James D Macdonald

Far Afield

This "Rose" business is getting rather far afield from PA.

The villains here are Larry, Willem, and Miranda. The problem is with their business model and their adverstising.

There are two main kinds of PA authors. The unhappy ones, and the ones who aren't unhappy yet. Unpleasantness in their regard doesn't aid anyone.

The goal is to educate authors who haven't signed the PA contract. To that end I'm playing with something.

I suppose everyone is waiting to see how the news stories turn out. But that's not the main thing, or the only thing, that's going on. The rest is day-to-day education. Creating a place that uncommited people won't flinch to read should be a priority.

Ed Williams 3

bikrpreacher, I've read your posts...

...noted your concerns, and took a little visit over to the PA boards to read the posts from this person that you're concerned about. Bikrpreacher, my advice is to relax and forget this person even exists. I mean this in no way but honestly, but this woman is not even literate, I struggled just to make sense out of her sentences. I sincerely think she is to be pitied more than anything, please just put her out of your mind and wish for her soul to find peace.

P.S. On an entirely different note, I'm back from Vegas, and God did I love it!!!

SimonSays

The Infamous Section 7

FYI

What has been described as a "rights grab" is in fact a fairly standard condition of usage on many message boards, including, quite ironically EZ Boards - which hosts Absolute Write.

That's right folks, every word you post here - EZ Boards has non-exclusive rights to use in whatever way they see fit - for as long as they see fit. Might want to re-think posting those chapters from your novels. Or you might want to beat up Jenna, the same way you were beating up Rose -(by the way, my guess is her lawyer probably gave her all the wording for the terms and conditions.)

I know it's impossible to unring a bell once it's been rung, but perhaps it will curb any additional bashing.

D James

Re: Far Afield

"There are two main kinds of PA authors. The unhappy ones, and the ones who aren't unhappy yet. Unpleasantness in their regard doesn't aid anyone."

Well, I can't say I'm unhappy. But I certainly can see how writers whose dreams are crushed when they realize that the only chance PA took on them is that their wallets are thick, can be worse than unhappy. Imagine if Rowling had been scammed and devasted in a way that she would never write again.

My concern is for PA authors under contract who are about to realize that, while they may beg their way into one or two bookstores, they certainly aren't going to get national stocking. Ever.

I just hope they understand this isn't a reflection on their writing or their book. This is a reflection on the misleading information on PA's website and info centre's responses to author's questions. Most of all, I hope they understand that no matter what they said in the past they can come here and be forgiven for it. Even you, HB.

Why not make a goal to send your next book to publishing companies whose books are found on *every* bookstore in the country?

D James

NicoleJLeBoeuf

Re: Yet one more story

{delurk - hi there!}

What has been described as a "rights grab" is in fact a fairly standard condition of usage on many message boards, including, quite ironically EZ Boards - which hosts Absolute Write.
Indeed. However, I get the impression that Ms. Rose is aggressively encouraging (demanding? re: the one-poem-daily or get-kicked-off issue) the posting of original work. It seems to be a "spirit of the thing" distinction.

Just one writer's observation, and YMMV &etc.

{relurk}

StephanieCordray

RE: Rose banned

In the meantime, she's fighting quite poorly in my opinion over on the Writers Weekly forum.

I have fresh information that she's been attacking numerous writers over the past few months. Sometimes without reason or warning.

That kind of thing happens quite frequently when a PAvidian gets whiff of anything that sounds like you might not be thrilled to be associated with PA. My association with a particular Yahoo Group netted me an attack on a pro PA network over a comment I made about bad knees which had nothing to do with PA, positively or negatively.

That's when I decided to start my own site, which sadly was started before I found this one... Had I known of this one... well, I'm quite happy here... Lots to learn.

DeePower

The thread is gone from PA

And I think it's gone from here as well. But I don't believe it was Rose that threatened a lible suit it was someone else who claimed she was a psychic.

Dee

James D Macdonald

Re: The thread is gone from PA

How well or how poorly someone "fights" is very much off-topic here.

Anger is one of the stages of grief. Recognize that.

bikrpreacher

Re: another one joins the ranks

finerthingsinlife,
I don't understand the below quote of yours...what?

Got me a brand new rope and a hood. I smell a-lynching a-coming...if they be PA they must be evil, only stands to sense.

Seriously, opposed or for, they're allowed to post, This is becoming such a nonsense!!

Anyway, as I was saying...
I think that the one's who are going onto Amazon and such posting bad reviews for PA authors are PA authors. I believe this is why PA won't help with getting them to stop. I think that this way the other Authors can keep blaming it on absolutewrite and it keeps the fight going.

Didn't come up with this idea all on my own, there are a lot of PA authors emailing me with this idea. And there are a lot of PA authors coming over here to read these posts.

I am trying to get Amazon.com to help me figure all of this out, for sure I know it was a PA author who posted on my book page. They did help me out with that much, rather they will for someone else's book or not I don't know yet.
Why else would PA ban us all from posting over there. We are the one's who were done wrong, and the one who did it is fat and happy over there on the board!

PA authors, grab a cup of coffee and do like I did, start with page one here and read the posts to here. I know it's hard, but just read them one right after the other and you know it all adds up.

If you have had people tell you that you wrote a good book, if you know yourself that you wrote a good book, don't let yourself be treated this way any more. It's been said a lot of times here that you will be welcome, it's true. How old are you? This is the question that I asked myself! That I would be afraid to tell people anywhere who I am should have been a warning!

I am paying a lawyer to hold a copy of my proofs for my second book so that it will be printed the way I send it in. Would a traditional publisher make it so that you'd have to do such a thing as this? I have seen to many comments on the PA boards about books coming back to people with mistakes in them that they knew were not there when they sent it in.

Chris

DeePower

Why on earth are you sending another book to PA?

Chris that makes no sense. Why would you send another book to PublishAmerica?

Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.