• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a Writing/Critique Buddy (YA/New Adult Urban Fantasy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lils

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lilynavarro.com
Hi everyone!

My name is Lily. I've just completed my first novel, and after having a read through the first draft, I've pinpointed a few issues that I have to work on. I'd love to have some impartial readers giving me their impressions of my work. But beyond that I'd like to find some long term writing and critique buddies, people that I can discuss goals with. We can keep each other on track and share all those great breakthrough writing moments!

My novel is an urban fantasy set in modern day Victoria. At this stage it's 60,000+ words and counting as I'm busy adding in scenes and chapters. I'm not looking for intensive critiquing that'd involve picking through grammar, but more general comments over any plot holes, problems with pacing or character development. If you're also looking for someone to do the same for your work, then please get in touch! We can exchange a couple of chapters first to see if we'd be a good fit.

Summary of Eidolon:

Going to sleep has never been a issue for Tristan Bellamy–until the accidental death of his best friend prompts the return of the startlingly realistic dreams of his childhood. But while those used to centre around a private wonderland of living shadows and landscapes that changed according to his will, Tristan’s new dreams have been reduced to a nightly showing of Toby’s drowning.

As Tristan moves without control between the waking world and that of his dreams, he inadvertently brings a passenger with him, setting off a series of events that leads The Cooperative–a Melbourne based organisation that polices supernatural activity–into the little town of Girralong, and to Tristan himself.

nicolegayleP

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this site but am looking to get more involved both here and in the world of writing in general. I'm currently working on my first novel (a YA, somewhat dystopian, ~30K words right now) and would love a writing/critique buddy!

Your novel sounds really interesting, so I'd love to read it and try to help as much as I can in terms of plot development, characters, etc. I work in public relations, so I do a lot of writing for my day job (as well as a ton of reading on my own time), so I'm pretty good at recognizing issues in writing and providing direction on how to make it better.

I'd also love the opportunity of having someone take a look at what I have written so far to see what feedback they might have to help me improve as I go.

Let me know if you'd like to exchange a couple chapters and see if we might be able to help each other out!

-Nicole

Receding Waters

How much for a cheeseburger?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ourchinaexperiment.wordpress.com
Lils,
The writing buddy you outlined sounds like something I'm looking for as well, and the summary of your work seems interesting. I've recently finished the fourth version of a novel, and just need some new eyes on it. It's gone through some substantial large edits with plot, motivations, and scenes, and I sometimes delude myself into thinking it's almost ready for an agent, but I'd still like to get some more eyes on it.

I'd classify it as a YA Urban Fantasy, but who knows if that'll be the final category it lands in.

Please message me if this is something you'd be interested in.

Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.