• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Getting a lot of personal rejections....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
One of my goals was "Published in GLIMMER TRAIN" by the time I turned 40. Can't fully explain why that particular lit mag was my goal, as opposed to plenty of others...or, say, THE NEW YORKER, if I'm dreaming big, but it was.

Didn't happen. Took me a little while to make myself okay with that. But I am. And I'm still writing. Life goes on, and, with any luck, we keep learning from it. :)

Yeah, Glimmertrain is on my list as well, but all I get from them is spam now. :-/

RobertEvert

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertevert.com
Sorry about the rejections. But, if it helps, you've done far better than most people! It sounds like you are right there on the edge of breaking through!

Good luck and keep up posted!

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean...my first attempt at querying a novel went, almost. It got attention from most of the agents I queried, i got personal rejections...etc. when it came down to it, I wasn't really discouraged, I was excited. It's hard to explain to people but those failures were successful failures. I did it. I wrote a book, I got people to read it and like it (even if they didn't want to take it on), and I committed myself to the failure. It was failure, technically, but it wasn't. It was a success. And now I can write a second novel that blows that one out of the water. At some point, I'm confident, I'll break through the barrier between "good" and "great".

Plus, I'm assuming you're young, which means...you've got time and life as an advantage. I didn't think I could write until the dean of my English department begged me to major in creative whatever (I couldn't, I needed a job! Lol) but that was....oh...eight years, one husband and three kids ago. I've been writing ever since and feel like just now I'm getting closer to what is the best I can do (of course, the best I can do keeps moving...) but all that life and practice made me a better writer. Personally, I'd rather write a few amazing books than a bunch of good books, and I'm okay with waiting and working to that. Time is your friend, and it goes fast.

I agree with this. Since I have one personal rejection letter, I don't have a lot of advice. (But I am sure that it can be very frustrating!)

I just wanted to say to keep at it! Best of luck!

Westie

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Personalized rejections are great because they usually mean you are making enough of an impression for the agent to jot a few things down. But yes, that "not quite there" feeling is a kick in the chops.

Hang in there!

On a side note, it is really encouraging to read everyone else's responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.