Rejectomancy

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Oh, I'm not the only one? It always makes me feel a little odd when something's so well-regarded, wins a dang Hugo, and I've read it and disliked it in the extreme. I didn't find it overwritten, but I didn't care for it either and felt quite cheated in the end. I felt beaten over the heat with the point.

What hit me about it was the truth of it. It won a Nebula, not a Hugo; Mary Robinette Kowal won the Hugo this year. Kij is also up for a World Fantasy for the story, though.

Given that it's a fable, obvious moralizing really is the story form, so I think that's kind of the point.

Got another piece out, still waiting to hear on the first. Been working on the next big thing, but nothing completed this week.

Been getting some of the reading done for BayCon, though.

Last edited:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:( (((((Pan))))))

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got a somewhat frustrating rejection from Penumbra today. I haven't heard anything from them regarding the submission for a month, so I queried and was told that the story was rejected on August 18 because it didn't meet their current submission calls.

Not only did I not get a rejection e-mail in August, but I also submitted this story *before* they announced their themed issues. So now they must think I'm one of those bone-headed writers who don't read or, worse yet, intentionally disregard their guidelines. Not a positive experience all around. :(

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You might suggest that they clear that up in their guidelines. It looks a bit ambiguous at present.

Pangalactic, :Hug2:. Hey, if nothing else, you can include it in a collection someday as "Never Before Published!"
;)

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the R, Pan. But don't give up! It's bound to trip some editor's switch.

And hugs, Alex. :Hug2:
I agree about Penumbra not being very clear in their submission guidelines. You have two columns, one with prompts and one with general info, which makes it seem like the prompts are something extra. Also, I find their blog rather hard to follow.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Damn it, the same thing just happened to me, Alex. Well... no, not the same, as I'm far more to blame for it. But, looking at their site, I really thought the submission calls were in addition to general submissions. Turns out that's not the case.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is somewhat ambiguous as it stands now, but the theme guidelines weren't even there *at all* back when I sent the submission in to them. Ah well, at least it frees up a good story in time to make the BayCon submission window.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Blah. Got word back from Nanoism this morning that the story I'd been waiting to hear back on apparently missed the queue. So I had to resub. :(

Everything else is crickets.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Blah. Got word back from Nanoism this morning that the story I'd been waiting to hear back on apparently missed the queue. So I had to resub. :(

Sorry. )-: You'd queried? How long had you waited? I ask because I'm at 153 days there, and I can't easily resub because I composed the story in their submission window and don't have it copied down anywhere (foolish, I know.)

I could almost certainly re-create it from memory, but after waiting this long on something so short? Not sure it feels worthwhile.

-Suzanne

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. )-: You'd queried? How long had you waited? I ask because I'm at 153 days there, and I can't easily resub because I composed the story in their submission window and don't have it copied down anywhere (foolish, I know.)

I could almost certainly re-create it from memory, but after waiting this long on something so short? Not sure it feels worthwhile.

-Suzanne

I queried after 92 days or so. I'm one of those that usually queries almost as soon as I hit the "If you haven't heard from us in X number of days" threshold. It took about five days to get a response to the query.

I'm just bummed because it was a story I thought might have a shot because everything else I've subbed there didn't make it more than two weeks. :(

*sigh*

Oh, well.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry guys--some really frustrating stuff here. :(
Alex, I'm glad you cleared up that story in time for BayCon too!

Mostly crickets for me. My most recent R was from Clarkesworld which was not surprising--although I do think this particular story can sell pro. It's off to Fantasy & Sci-Fi now, and when they're done with it, probably the Fantastic Stories Anthology. And if they don't take it, WotF and from there, Cicada or DSF...

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, suck.

Rejection from Nanoism for Survivor. At least he got back to me quickly this time. But still... 3 months and then a no that I probably would have gotten in a couple days if the damn thing hadn't gotten lost.

Aggy, not feeling the good today

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs for everybody. Seems like a lot of bummer situational Rs right now.

Got three more last week, but since then it's been crickets. Hoping to hear something this week. Trying to figure out where else to sub what I've got, or if I should have everything beta'd again.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hugs to the peoples. I feel your pain. Literally.

Got a very polite form R from Crazyhorse. They padded my landing with a couple of paragraphs as to why they don't accept some stories. It's not useful, but few are, so they might as well be polite.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Shimmer said no. But it was nice to get to the second round :)

(((((hugs to all the other rejectees)))))

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Sorry about the R, Lillie. It's GREAT that you made it to the second round though. That's something to be proud of.

And sorry about DSF, pan. If I missed anybody, hugs all around!

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Got one today, "We're going to pass, but we were interested, we hope you'll keep them coming." Actually made me really happy. Gives me a little more faith in the story too. Got my first straight form R ever for this story last week, which made me think maybe this one wasn't worth sending out. Now I'm definitely going to sub it out again.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Aww. There does seem to be a down trend around here lately, doesn't there?

:Hug2:

But yeah, second round and 'keep them coming' are at least nice to hear.