What do you want in a MMORPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
I note that the two MMO's that I find most compelling of those I've played are Lord of the Rings Online, and DC Universe Online. Both play very differently, but both have a deep, rich lore that you can get immediately invested in.
That's an interesting comment. Some friends are playing LOTRO and they love it. Unfortunately I don't think I will have this kind of deep, consistent lore in my setup. It will probably be more of a chaotic mix, but I will think about this.

But I think that is often important in terms of general success; you need them to feel they're part of something bigger, part of a larger story that they can become emotionally invested in, or else many won't stick around when the next interesting MMO beta comes along. So if you're making something in an original setting, the story /needs/ to be compelling. Otherwise, your players will vanish when the next shiny thing hits Massively's demo downloads.
Hopefully the participants in my setup would instead feel more involved in the development of the game since they have possibilities to contribute. Hopefully there would grow a community of creators that would be loyal to the game.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
I admit, what you've presented as an idea sounds like the fictional 'Ishikaze' game which serves as the setting for Dan Hess' relatively light-hearted comic 'Realms of Ishikaze.' (Which just concluded after 7 years.)

As background, Ishikaze is a game where the developers created tools; the players can create additional content/quests/items within the game, but a lot of core mechanics (how combat works, how physics work, how leveling/resources work, what races are available as player character avatars) are set in the engine itself (so it's not completely 'build whatever you want' like Second Life is in the real world). Major quests, events and game additions are handled by administrators (actual employees of the company).

That's what the comic uses as its setting, and then tackles story arcs about things like hackers trying to gain advantages in-game, or boys who self-identify as girls and so play a female character in-game, or what happens when the developer loses legal control of his own creation and the new shareholders want to monetize it through in-game advertising (and how the players react), etc.

Anyway, from your revised post earlier in the thread, it sounds like you're sort of trying to build a real-world equivalent of Ishikaze. Which is great; people can get very invested (look at Second Life, after all). But also keep in mind that even if you have a diehard core of content-creators who are deeply invested in the game, what makes or breaks an MMO (which has upkeep costs, for servers and bandwidth and all) is the general playerbase. If it's a subscription game, will they keep paying a monthly subscription fee? If it's free-to-play, will they buy premium add-on items?

That bulk of the userbase is not necessarily the people who make content and get deeply invested, any more than the general userbase of LotRO are the people who write the various Lua client addons (like the Palantir plugin that I live by). The bulk of the income is the general players... and what you need is something to keep /them/ hooked and invested. You can get tons of people in during a beta or launch period easily, but the key is keeping them when the next launch hits.

Maybe DCUO has a ton of people playing it right now, but when Bioware goes open beta on The Old Republic, how many of the casual "I'll give this a try" DCUO players may jump ship over to go "I'll give this a try" on SW:TOR, instead? Even though the MMOs aren't even remotely the same setting? What makes or breaks an MMO is the ability to keep paying players (whether they pay through subscriptions for a pay-to-play game, or through premium add-ons on a free-to-play) after that initial "ooh, shiny!" period.

(Sorry for rambling. I used to be a game developer.) :)

Last edited:

cutecontinent

Registered
Reaction score
So, uh.... you're creating a REAL MMORPG?

Or writing a fantasy novel set in a fictional one?

Status
Not open for further replies.