Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Long ago, a producer paid $10 to option one of my screenplays-- and my agent actually took her $1 cut and sent me a check for $9... which bounced. (My fault-- I let the check sit around for a long time because it amused me.)

Today I got this note:

"Good news. Your book with {ghostwriting client} has earned royalties; however, it is for .79 . Would you like for us to send a check or hold until the next royalty period?"

I am sorely tempted to make them pay the 42 cents in postage to mail me my check, so I can pay $2 in gas to drive to the bank and deposit it! :D

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
My son had a non fic children's author talk at his school the other day. Cue conversation:

'Mum, how much will you make?'
'Depends how many people buy the book'
'Well how much per book?'
'About a pound ish. Depends on the exchange rate'
'A pound! The author that came in today makes 14p a book'

14p!! that can't be right, surely?

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
Make them send you the check. Then walk to the bank. Good exercise and saves you the 2 bucks for gas.

And thanks for posting this. Gave me a laugh. :D

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Comedian Emo Phillips was talking about a royalty check he got for the movie UHF. For a whole 35 cents. At first I thought, "oh. This is Emo Phillips. He's a comedian. He's exaggerating for the sake of the interview." He showed the check and it was for 35 cents.

The glamorous life.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Pff, I know all you pubbies live in your mansions, using $50's as napkins, wearing your diamond slippers and feather boas, sitting on your luxury, overstuffed, gold-crested furniture, ringing your little bells so your servants will bring you your jeweled laptop on a platinum platter, and you simply make up these stories to make us unpubbies feel better.

Right?

:D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just spent a gift certificate I got on my birthday. After placing my B&N order, I discovered that it would be .20 more than the certificate covered. Fortunately I had just gotten a PayPal payment for some writing. I actually had enough to add another book to the order. (er...a paperback. With free shipping. Well, it almost covered it...)

Oh yeah. We're all gonna be rich.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Pff, I know all you pubbies live in your mansions, using $50's as napkins, wearing your diamond slippers and feather boas, sitting on your luxury, overstuffed, gold-crested furniture, ringing your little bells so your servants will bring you your jeweled laptop on a platinum platter, and you simply make up these stories to make us unpubbies feel better.

Right?

:D

Oh, yeah. My butler has a genuine British accent.

And I pay him extra to scoop out the litterbox.

:roll:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Elton John was asked by Johnny Carson I think, if he ever got bothered by hearing Muzak versions of his songs in elevators. He said "Nope. I usually think "I hope I get my 25 cents!""

I know the guy who played the good-guy's father in the Van Damme debut film "No Retreat, No Surrender" -- the movie gets played about once a month on cable somewhere around the world, and sure enough, he gets a residual check for like $5.00 each time it does.

It's funny being in the world of intellectual property these days. Hey, at least you GOT paid today, Jenna! :D

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Storygirl, did you just make up the terms "pubbies" and "unpubbies"? Those are my new favorite terms.

Yup, us pubbies use emerald toothpicks and six-ply toilet paper.

Know what's funny? I just made a similar distinction to a friend of mine who landed on the NYT bestseller list last week. I told him I'd just seen his book at Kmart, and he responded, "What were you doing in Kmart? No one shops there anymore." Here's an excerpt of the e-mail I sent him back: "You've lost touch with the common man. You're over there in NYT List Kingdom and you probably shop at Bloomingdale's now and have your butler buy your groceries. We unbestselling authors still shop at Kmart."

Now I see there's a tiered system, though.

Unpubbies: Eat mudpies, have holes in socks, have 12" black and white televisions that are not cable ready, lack plumbing

Pubbies: Can buy water snails, nearly all of a paperbook book, and sometimes candy bars

Bestsellies: Can buy terrariums for their water snails and expensive microphones to amplify the slooshing

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Humph, does that mean the yatch I had all picked out may not ever be mine? Darn....

And...and the pool boy toy at the resort will never get to meet me cause I will not be staying there? Darn.....

Oh the dreams I had........sigh.

Guess I will wonder off and check out the candy section at the local Dollar Store.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be a hoot to frame both checks for a "reserved" spot on one of your walls!

Status
Not open for further replies.