The Dreaded "Here, Let Me Show You My Work"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the reason people force writing on you is because they believe you actually have something of value to say. Much like these cocktail party doctors.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
I ran into this problem for the first time about a month ago. I'm not a published novelist, but I'm published in short fiction, I work as a freelance writer, and I've edited a few children's books for authors. A friend of one of my clients approached me, asking for my opinion of his memoir. I explained that I was not familiar with his genre and couldn't give him helpful feedback. He emailed me and again asked me if I could review his full ms when it was done. (No mention of payment, of course.) I suggested he join a critique group or pay a professional editor who was familiar with memoirs. I also gave him advice on searching for a literary agent, which he asked for. I never heard from him again. Not even a thank-you. (Insert eye roll.)

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
I've never had this happen to me personally, but I've seen people doing it plenty of times on Yahoo Answers. These thirteen and fourteen year old kids will post work that isn't up to par yet, and when someone offers sound writing advice, they get angry. Kids that young aren't looking for a critique, just praise. Many of them didn't have thick enough skins yet either.

The majority of teenagers who posted things on Yahoo Answers were just looking for ego boosts. I usually kept quiet if work posted on YA wasn't that good, but if they were talented, I'd tell them so.

starrykitten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My own recurring problem comes from my grandfather, who is constantly asking me if I've gotten around to reading the faded, 20 year old manuscript I said I'd look at in one of my weaker moments. From what he's let slip, I've gathered that it's at least semi-autobiographical, and includes a sex scene.

I just can't bring myself to read it.

HAHAHA! That's wonderful. I imagine the sex scene isn't as bad as some of your imaginings, but wow. I'm imagining the sex scene being pretty graphic and I'm also picturing your grandfather as rather eccentric, just to make the story better.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had this happen to me personally, but I've seen people doing it plenty of times on Yahoo Answers. These thirteen and fourteen year old kids will post work that isn't up to par yet, and when someone offers sound writing advice, they get angry. Kids that young aren't looking for a critique, just praise. Many of them didn't have thick enough skins yet either.

The majority of teenagers who posted things on Yahoo Answers were just looking for ego boosts. I usually kept quiet if work posted on YA wasn't that good, but if they were talented, I'd tell them so.

You have to remember that these are kids. At their age they need encouragement. They're still trying to find their identities and they're going to be discovering new things that interest them along the way. They should be embraced and nurtured, not criticised.

Unless of course, they're cocky little brats. Then perhaps a good chiding is in order.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
Please underline the part where I said I knew I was a better writer than any of these people.

Or you could read the part where I say I'm uncomfortable with being put on the spot and suddenly spending an hour listening to student newspaper article recitations. If being uncomfortable with that makes me egotistical, I'll live with that and assume that anyone who finds that egotistical would love to spend that hour listening to the student newspaper articles when just trying to have coffee.

My issue isn't with people asking for my opinion--I'd gladly critique friends' writing or give general advice to new writers. My issue is with having writing forced upon me rather than being asked. It's a bit similar to doctors complaining about being asked for medical advice at cocktail parties.

I like your idea, Shara, and saying that before you read anybody's writing is good to do in advance. If anyone I don't know super-well asks for a critique, I'll try that.

Sorry if I offended you. I did get that impression from the paragraph you mention: use of the word 'snob' twice and saying you don't want to discourage 'amateur' writers, as if you turning down their request would discourage them from writing.

Are these people you know? If not, how do they know you're a writer? And if they're being so rude as to demand you read it, why not just reply with a quick explanation that they need an editor or a proofer or both, and not a fellow writer, who also needs editing and proofing.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I've never had a friend or relative ask, thank goodness. I've been approached many times by strangers, via these boards or my website, and most are deterred when I mention money. :)

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
BUT. If I said yes to every single MS sent my way, I would simply have no time to do my own work. I have to prioritise. Also, while some people genuinely want my input (though I have no idea why), most see a published author not to get a really in depth beta read, but more as someone who could help them get published, and that's a little irritating to be honest. I don't like feeling used.

Quoted for truth.

I know you were making a joke, but truly imagine what it is like to have people think you OWE them something. I will pay it forward as much as I can, I reply back to every email sent me and in detail, making sure to answer any queries I can about the publishing world. I am very loyal to friends, and will drop everything to read their work if they have a deadline looming or whathaveyou. And every once and a while, if I happen to have the time, I will say yes to doing a critique. Yes getting published is amazing, but it isn't perfect and it comes with its own set of stresses and frustrations. You may look forward to having this problem in that you look forward to getting published, but truly it is an issue just as one has issues before one gets published.

And again.

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
If I said yes to every single MS sent my way, I would simply have no time to do my own work. I have to prioritise....

Anyway, it isn't simply about one or two people asking, it's about the numbers adding up.

I'll second this. I actually love reading other people's work, I love talking about writing with teenagers (I write YA and visit middle schools and high schools to talk about writing etc) and I love hearing people's ideas for their own novels and stories. I would really like to be say yes when others-- especially kids and teens-- ask me if I can read their work. The thing is, I have three good friends who give me great feedback on my manuscripts and I read theirs when they ask... and I have trouble finding time to do that. I have a little kid and a job and I want time to write... so while I am happy to respond to e-mails and talk with people about writing and suggest resources, I don't usually agree to look at people's writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.