Your most boring job

Status
Not open for further replies.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm searching for a character's occupation, but he's a slacker and very unmotivated, so I thought I'd ask...what job did you do that wasn't very challenging but paid your bills (even barely)? He's in a big city, so he could potentially do anything.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I worked in a nursery (the tree kind, not the little kid kind) and my only job was to count and weed baby trees. It was supremely boring but I got a nice tan. Oh and it's tough on your back too. I spent 8 hours every day on my hands and knees (alright everyone...keep the off color jokes to yourselves!) counting endless baby trees and keeping them weeded.

Definitely my worst job ever!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I worked in a place that inserted those annoying adds inside magazines. they had a machine that could put up to 3 ad inserts in each magazine. When they had to put in four they use a table full of people on minimum wage, it was marginally cheaper than another run through the machine.

So it wasn;t a case of 'the machine took my job' but 'even the machine didn't want my job'.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
This wasn't my job, but I discussed it with someone once. There used to be a store in a nearby mall that sold pens. Only pens. All types of pens.

One sales clerk, and they always looked bored out of their skull, sitting on a stool behind the cash register. I can't imagine that particular retail job requires a lot of work.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
A really common job for a slacker is telemarketing. They make surprisingly decent money. Hubby did that YEARS ago when he was into full-on bachelorhood and partying all the time. A term he used when referring to it was "mind numbing".

Another might be a bar-back. They are almost like bartender assistants. ~laughing~. They carry the beer and tubs of ice and make a base pay plus tip-out, or a share of the bartenders' tips. From what I hear, they can perform their job exceptionally well even when under the influence of just about anything! A nifty thing about that job, as I am told, is that you are "out" every night you are at work. You're always at the bar when things are going on. You get a super view of any band playing there from atop the bar, too.

Last edited:

faithmairee

Registered
Reaction score
The worse job I ever had was busing tables in the restaurant at a Holiday Inn. It was totally not cool! LOL

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had a variety of jobs, but one that looks undemanding is parking-lot attendant.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I worked at a fiberglass factory. Every day was a different job. Fridays, they stuck me in the vents on the roof to chip out the tar (yup, nice huh?). Mondays, I walked around with a bucket of yellow paint and touched up the poles that kept the forklifts from running into the machines, and my favorite, Wednesdays I sat on the train tracks, inside, and picked up the glass marbles that we always spilled when they unloaded the trains.

It was hot, boring, but paid well for a college kid.

mmm... pancakes

light and fluffy
Registered
Reaction score
Cheap stationery shops often have bins full of pencil cases made in Taiwan or China or Singapore or somewhere similar. To look pretty, the pencil cases are stuffed with crunched up newspaper.

I put that newspaper there.

I lasted two weeks, and considered it a major achievement.

David Erlewine

Registered
Reaction score
boring jobs

hmm, let's see, how about a government contracts attorney. oh, wait, that's the job I have now. And I keep forgetting that I like my job. I like my job. I like my job. What about a grocery store bagger? I worked at a store years ago where we made tips and minimum wage salary so it wasn't too bad. Lots of time we were just standing around since the cashiers often bagged the small orders. Some of the baggers were in their mid-30's, etc.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Electronic assembly on a carosel. Extremely boring.

How boring? I stayed 1 week. When I left, it was like 'I don't care HOW much money they pay me, I can't take this anymore!' and exited speedily.

My only thought was why in the world they had humans doing it. Monkeys could have done it cheaper.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sorted seals at a plastic factory. I had to randomly pull boxes and count (250 seals per box) to make sure that the correct number was going in and to see if any "imperfects" were making it through the line. This plant had a lot of mind numbing work, but it put me through school.

DTKelly

The Rememberer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dtkelly.net
Carole said:
Another might be a bar-back. They are almost like bartender assistants. ~laughing~. They carry the beer and tubs of ice and make a base pay plus tip-out, or a share of the bartenders' tips. From what I hear, they can perform their job exceptionally well even when under the influence of just about anything! A nifty thing about that job, as I am told, is that you are "out" every night you are at work. You're always at the bar when things are going on. You get a super view of any band playing there from atop the bar, too.

Hey, I had this job. My experience with it-- definitely not for an unmotivated slacker. We had a few of those, and they didn't last long at all.

Elizabeth Slick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethslick.homestead.com
The most boring job I ever had was being an assistant in an alzheimers house. I will leave out the gristly details. Let's just say it was a very "organic" job. Boring, yes, but more than that, I wasn't prepared for it, so I only lasted one day.

He could be a:
factory worker rolling stamps ( yes, I did that for a day)
Grave digger
office clerk ( those jobs can be very dull)
convenience store clerk
janitor at night
a host at Denny's ( he and the other hosts could all be clamoring for the tasks. That's always fun)
same thing in a dull unpopulated shoe store in a mall, where they have 6 employees that attack their one customer an hour like sharks.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely Data Entry Clerk for the government. I typed in the fields off people's tax returns. It was seasonal, from February until about September or October (depending on how efficient I was). The pay scale and timeframe were based on your speed, but plenty of people were just there to "get their weeks in" so they could qualify to go on pogey for the rest of the year.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
collection agent.
or possibly working for dps/some branch of government (Medicaid office maybe). These people invariably seem to not care if they ever work, are out of patience, etc. And they can't be fired ever for anything and have good benefits

Glynis

Registered
Reaction score
Clerical temp. I spent hours, days, weeks alphabetizing share sales slips; all to a muzak soudtrack. Really, they piped the music in for entertainment, but all it did for me was make me want shoot myself. The only exciting thing that happened on that assignment was when one of the workers next to me - her job was to take the collated papers and push a hole punch into them that read PAID - started losing her hair extensions. They kept falling out everywhere. It's the one job where I ran away screaming.

Pretty much every assignment I had as a temp was awful but no stress, unless you count crying over a wasted college education.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, most helpful! My character is currently unemployed, but he has a string of past jobs that just "didn't work out" -- mostly because he's lazy -- and you've given me some great ideas. :)

deacon

duck shampooer! ya just can't keep the water on long enough to make suds!

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I like Rephs the best - "Parking Lot Attendant."

I fell asleep typing the words.

I have had a long, horrendous line of terrible jobs. Here's a few of them:

Truckstop waitress. (REALLY - I was 16.)
GARMENT FACTORY worker. (Lasted two months until the guy I had a crush on started dating someone else .........I couldn't take the boredom after that.)
BARMAID - a bartender who only serves beer.
A clerk in a factory.
A waitress at JB's Big Boy. Worst job in the world.

I'm too depressed to go on .........

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Bulk Mail Order fulfillment House:

You know those publishers clearing house mails you get, with like 25 things stuffed in them?

I had that job once.

For about 2 weeks.

You just take a piece of paper from like 15 stacks, and stuff them in the envelope, then seal it.

Booooooo-ring!

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
I second the data entry thing.

Another suggestion is worker in a place that makes plastic bags. They have to come from somewhere.

Any retail job during the slow part of the year.

A job in a tourist town when the tourists aren't around.

I guess it depends if you want indoor or outdoor work?

Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.