Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
me, neither. maybe I should. I'm reading something about familiars, can't recall the title right now. The only book on the sofa with me is a Wimpy Kid book, and that's not it.

It's about a cat and a bluejay and a tree frog that have to save their wizards, or loyals, as they're called.

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite part of "Half Magic" was the visit to Arthurian Britain. I thought that Eager particularly handled well the explanation for why Camelot fell, without directly bringing up the love affair (which would be tricky for a children's book - although if you read the tournament scene closely, there are hints about how Lancelot and Guinevere feel about each other); Agravain, Mordred, and their friends were fed up with Lancelot always unhorsing them in the jousts and figured that if they could have him disgraced, they might be able to win the prize for a change (and certainly get some revenge). I do get the impression from Malory that that was why they were so keen on exposing Lancelot's affair with the queen.

I wonder if anyone here's read one of the sequels, "Knight's Castle", in which the descendants of the MCs in "Half Magic" encounter Ivanhoe, Richard the Lion-hearted, and Robin Hood (the other classic medieval British legend).

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
I love Knight's Castle! Anything by Edward Eager makes me :)

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
last night we finished reading the entire Harry Potter series out loud to our daughter, after starting in June. read the whole thing, straight through. here and there my husband and i tag-teamed it, so i missed a few parts (though i've read them before) and wow. what an awesome experience. reading them is one thing. reading them out loud is another. and reading them out loud to a child is pretty much the best thing ever.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I've read one of the half-magic books and liked it. It was well-written (though not terribly exciting).

Two days ago I hit the jackpot at my local used bookstore. I got two by Coville, a Sachar, Kate DiCamillo, and a bunch more good ones. I also picked up one of the Box Car Children books on a whim (it was cheap and the first book).

I read the first page of each and low and behold, I couldn't put down the Box Car Children. I read the whole thing in one sitting (finished about 2am).

I guess it goes to show, good writing never goes out of style!

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading 100 Cupboards. It's pretty interesting so far. I also have Dealing With Dragons sitting on my shelf and waiting to be read. I can't wait! :)

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I'm 1/2 way through Book one of The Unicorn Chronicles. There's a huge Dragon on the cover, but he hasn't appeared in the book yet.
So, I'm looking for a good Dragon book, might have to put Dealing With Dragons on the list. But with the self-publishing stuff, I won't be buying any new books for awhile.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just read Charlie Joe Jacks0n's Guide To Not Reading, which is supposed to be a reluctant reader book about a reluctant reader. I have to say I thought it was too challenging and thick for an actual reluctant reader, but other kids might like it (as opposed to My Life As A Book which seems much more pleasing to a reluctant reader). There was a lot of stuff about middle school dating drama, which I think goes over the heads of many kids. The adult voice kept creeping in with the first person narrator saying stuff like "It's so weird that kids today..." or "it's funny, nowadays..." But NO. Twelve year olds don't think the way they do things is weird because it's different from how things were done 5-10-15-20 years ago, because they didn't exist then or they were barely sentient! Rant over.

Now reading Aliens on Vacation--kid gets shipped off to his weird grandma's weird B&B that caters exclusively to aliens visiting from other planets. Enjoying it so far.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
question for the Edward Eager fans - i've never read any, but i happened upon SEVEN DAY MAGIC and THE WELL WISHERS at Goodwill. do his books follow any particular order? or can i read these without having read HALF MAGIC or his others?

thanks!

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
question for the Edward Eager fans - i've never read any, but i happened upon SEVEN DAY MAGIC and THE WELL WISHERS at Goodwill. do his books follow any particular order? or can i read these without having read HALF MAGIC or his others?

thanks!

I don't know about "The Well Wishers", but "Seven Day Magic", while having a different set of MCs from "Half Magic", does include some elements from "Half Magic", enough for me to advise you to read "Half Magic" first.

(In "Seven Day Magic", the MCs discover a magic library book - which turns out to be "Seven Day Magic" itself; thus, the book exists in the very fictional world it depicts - that allows its reader to visit the worlds of other books. It brings the MCs into "Half Magic", just after the story ends, to take part in some new adventures involving the "half magic" charm.)

AnthonyPearson

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously we read what we love, but I also wonder if it hinders my writing. Currently I'm reading Winnie-The-Pooh again and absolutely love it. Also working my way through American Fairy Tales by L. Frank Baum.

I like Sacchar and love Gaiman and think Clive Barker's The Thief of Always is great, but I'm really drawn to the turn of the century stuff.

(I know there are no dumb questions, but...) Do you read for fun or to get insight into the market? Since I'm about 100 years behind because of what I like to read, I think I'm shooting myself in the foot. Especially if I want to take a shot at writing my first MG book.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Do you read for fun or to get insight into the market?

Both. But I get hung up on certain genres. There are lots of books and authors that pass me by because they're in a category I just genuinely don't enjoy and can't get into, so I avoid them. I figure if I'm reading for enjoyment, then I'll stick to stuff I like and if I'm reading for market insight, I'll stick to genres similar to my ya wip.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'd loan you mine, but looks like you're kinda far away...

thanks for the thought!

(I know there are no dumb questions, but...) Do you read for fun or to get insight into the market? Since I'm about 100 years behind because of what I like to read, I think I'm shooting myself in the foot. Especially if I want to take a shot at writing my first MG book.

sort of both. i read what i love, both new and old. i try to read a lot of what's current, or at least start it. but if i start it, and it's not my thing, i don't force myself to read it, in the same way that i'm not going to force myself to mimic it in my writing. (and i'm not going to force myself to read a classic, just because it's a classic.) if your writing style is classic/old-fashioned, that's okay. it can still find its audience. have you read The Penderwicks?

AnthonyPearson

Registered
Reaction score
have you read The Penderwicks?

Never heard of it, but I've got a fully charged e-book at my disposal that is a favorite little toy of mine. Will check it out!

Though nothing beats flipping pages, technology doesn't bug me too much neither. (and that is a subject for a much different thread than this one...so I digress)

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Never heard of it, but I've got a fully charged e-book at my disposal that is a favorite little toy of mine. Will check it out!

yes, one of the things i love best about my Kindle is the Try a Sample feature. it has allowed me to read a bit (and often a sizable chunk) of what's current and see if it's for me. that's how i figured out that the Twilight and Percy Jackson books were NOT for me. it's also how i was surprised to find myself completely engrossed by The Underland Chronicles.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
last night we finished reading the entire Harry Potter series out loud to our daughter, after starting in June. read the whole thing, straight through. here and there my husband and i tag-teamed it, so i missed a few parts (though i've read them before) and wow. what an awesome experience. reading them is one thing. reading them out loud is another. and reading them out loud to a child is pretty much the best thing ever.

This is a fond memory for my family. My oldest is 16, then 12 and I read all the books to them and my husband. Our little one is 3, so still too young, but I really look forward to reading them to him someday.

daisybun

Registered
Reaction score
The Ninth Ward - by Jewel Parker Rhodes

Don't miss reading The Ninth Ward by Jewel Parker Rhodes. This is a brand new excellent quick read about a 12 year old girl 'with the sight' being raised by her Mama Ya-Ya in New Orleans. It's the story of their experience in Hurricane Katrina. Don't miss this. I loved it!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Daisybun, for the heads-up. I'll check it out.

Last night I read Because of Winn-Dixie again. I love the simplicity of the language and the richness of the message.