Amazon photo patent: subject on white background

Status
Not open for further replies.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I figure some of our artists might also be photographers.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...e-seamless-white-background-article-1.1808939

Apparently, online photographers are starting to speak out against the US patent office issuing Amazon a patent for the process of taking a picture of a subject against a white background...

Is this overreaching? Is it a big deal? Will it keep other people from taking pictures of subjects against white backgrounds?

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I am not at all sure why Amazon would bother to patent this. And it's not a patent about using a white background, it's a patent on their specific arrangement of lights that get that seamless white background. Why patent this? It can't possibly be enforceable, even if another photographer uses that same arrangement of lights, how could Amazon prove it and why would they spend the money to prosecute it? It's possible Amazon did this simply to ensure that someone else could not patent it before them and thus try to keep Amazon from using the lighting arrangement they prefer.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the response... so this likely doesn't have ramifications for anyone, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.