Smilies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spruce

N E W
Registered
Reaction score
I am unable to see the smilies in the post window. Is there a certain post count to access them?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have that option turned on? It's in the User CP under Edit Options.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you using the "Post Quick Reply" or "Go Advanced" window?

I'm not sure I understand. Can you not see the smilies posted by others, or are you not able to select and use smilies yourself?

Spruce

N E W
Registered
Reaction score
Are you using the "Post Quick Reply" or "Go Advanced" window?

I'm not sure I understand. Can you not see the smilies posted by others, or are you not able to select and use smilies yourself?

I'm not able to use smilies myself. I can see everyone else's.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you go to Advanced to post, and you select the smilie icon, does the smilie list not show?

I didn't think there was a post count requirement to use smilies, but I'm not absolutely certain of that myself.

Last edited:

Spruce

N E W
Registered
Reaction score
When you go to Advanced to post, and you select the smilie icon, does the smilie list not show?

I didn't think there was a post count requirement to use smilies, but I'm not absolutely certain of that myself.

It only shows about five smilies.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you scroll down the list to where is says "Show all smilies"?

Spruce

N E W
Registered
Reaction score
I can access the smilie list another way (lower left-hand corner of the page). I'll just type them in by hand.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
It only shows about five smilies.

Let's try a test, shall we? The text for a couple of smilies.

The baffled-looking one where one eye twiches, that is : Wha :

Without the spaces between the word and the colons. Like so - :Wha:

Does that work for you if you reply to this, then Preview Post?

The sarcasm "tag" smilie is : sarcasm

Notice no trailing colon, which gets this once you remove the space - :sarcasm

See if those work for you.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure Medievalist (one of the administrators) will probably see this thread. She will probably know what's wrong. I'll make sure she's aware of this thread if she doesn't see it herself.

The only other thing I might guess is one of the scripts for the page is being blocked.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score

Case sensitive. The confused one is with a capital W. But the sarcasm one worked. So at least the smilies themselves are available. Just not visible, apparently.

Yeah, I have to punt to staff here.

Spruce

N E W
Registered
Reaction score
Case sensitive. The confused one is with a capital W. But the sarcasm one worked. So at least the smilies themselves are available. Just not visible, apparently.

Yeah, I have to punt to staff here.

I just have to type them out. Oh well. :Shrug:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Use this link for the complete list of smilies.

The smilie link in the edit window displays a group of 20-something smilies, followed by a link that's the same as the one I posted above.

Copy and paste the code. The smilie graphic won't show in the post window unless you Preview (via Go Advanced) or Save the post.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Most of them have to be typed them out. :dire:

I have successfully copied the images a few times from the big list o smilies :banana:, but it's often just faster to type the dang things. :Jump:

I've memorized the ones I use frequently :e2thud: but I always get :Headbang: and :e2headban confused.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com

I'm always baffled by the differences from one version of this forum software to the next -- on one board it's : word : and on another it's : word for the very same smilie. Basic smilies on one board are entirely absent on another. ???

Anyway, can we convince you to import the few that are missing here but are on City-Data ?? :)

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score

The smilie link in the edit window displays a group of 20-something smilies, followed by a link that's the same as the one I posted above.

Copy and paste the code. The smilie graphic won't show in the post window unless you Preview (via Go Advanced) or Save the post.
Oh wow. Look at all those smilies! They don't all show up on the my drop-down list, even after a click on the link. I see a lot more on the link you provided. I thought people were importing their own by some mysterious means known only to an inner circle.

Must be my browser? Opera.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Oh wow. Look at all those smilies! They don't all show up on the my drop-down list, even after a click on the link. I see a lot more on the link you provided. I thought people were importing their own by some mysterious means known only to an inner circle.

Must be my browser? Opera.

That would be my bet. I would suggest trying another browser, just once, to see if the smilies work as advertised there. That eliminates your operating system as the culprit.

Most every operating system includes a default browser, and I can't think of one where Opera is it. Internet Explorer, Safari, Konqueror (although that's not technically the operating system).

Status
Not open for further replies.