College Students Writing For Teens

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a long time. A bunch of us that used to do it started doing it via AIM, and others haven't been around much in FOREVER (like Pixy).

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
YAY!!! I just finished my first ever draft!!!!!

I mean, sure, it needs some pretty major changes, and the ending is something I pretty much threw together, but... it's got to start somewhere, right? Right????

Onto revisions.... my goal is to have a second draft ready to go by July 1st.

rynthewin

Plotting Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, casualrungal! That's great news, and I hope beginning revisions and things goes well for you!

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, casualrungal! :) That's fantastic. Best of luck with revisions!

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yay casualrungal!! I just hit 45,000 on mine. Officially at the halfway mark :) It's all downhill from here, right?? (just nod and smile).

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Yay casualrungal!! I just hit 45,000 on mine. Officially at the halfway mark :) It's all downhill from here, right?? (just nod and smile).

But I actually think it is! I found that, especially when I reached 50,000, there was really no way I WOULDN'T finish. Before... it was all up in the air haha.

Thanks everyone! I'm aiming to edit 25 pages per day. Feels so good to be at this stage! What is everyone else working on currently?

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
But I actually think it is! I found that, especially when I reached 50,000, there was really no way I WOULDN'T finish. Before... it was all up in the air haha.

Thanks everyone! I'm aiming to edit 25 pages per day. Feels so good to be at this stage! What is everyone else working on currently?

A word of advice: I know you really want to get into edits and stuff, because it's so exciting and happy and you just want to strike while the iron's hot (as they say :tongue), but what you really need to do is step away from it. Congratulate yourself on a job well done, go out and get your favorite kind of celebration food items (if you can), and then sit back and relax for a few days. Give it a week, or even a month, and then go back with fresh eyes. That way you'll be a little less attached to it, and better able to edit. I know it's hard, but that normally is the best way to go about the revision process. If you have trusted friends--and by "trusted" I mean the kind that will tell you the truth, even if it's going to hurt--, ask one of them to read through it. Tell them they can mark it up and give feedback however (and however much) they feel is necessary. Then you can take the feedback and really think about the things they say before accepting or discounting it.

Anyway... That's my two cents on the editing/revision process. Take it for what it's worth, and good luck with it! :)

ETA I actually have been pretty productive today. It's time for me to go get another 250-500 words out, though. I'll be around in a bit. :D

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for the reassuring words! I'm shooting for 2k a day right now. There are of course the days when I don't make it, but there are also the happy days when I can pump out more.

Do you find revising easier or more difficult than writing so far?

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Hey everyone!

I'm sooo close to reaching 39K on my wip and after that I have 17,000 words to write. It seems like it would be a piece of cake, but just like the beginning...writing the end is soooo hard.

How's everyone else's writing coming along?

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
A word of advice: I know you really want to get into edits and stuff, because it's so exciting and happy and you just want to strike while the iron's hot (as they say :tongue), but what you really need to do is step away from it. Congratulate yourself on a job well done, go out and get your favorite kind of celebration food items (if you can), and then sit back and relax for a few days. Give it a week, or even a month, and then go back with fresh eyes. That way you'll be a little less attached to it, and better able to edit. I know it's hard, but that normally is the best way to go about the revision process. If you have trusted friends--and by "trusted" I mean the kind that will tell you the truth, even if it's going to hurt--, ask one of them to read through it. Tell them they can mark it up and give feedback however (and however much) they feel is necessary. Then you can take the feedback and really think about the things they say before accepting or discounting it.

Yeah, that's great advice and I actually agree! I'm only doing changes to the story that I already had in mind when I was working on the ending. Like, there are some things that I knew I was going to have to change, but I just wanted to get the ending down first. After I make those initial changes (which are now essential for the story to make sense), I'm going to let it sit for awhile, maybe have some other people read it. I'm fortunate to have some VERY honest people in my life, though it doesn't always feel so fortunate when their brutal honesty brings me nearly to tears!

Bookgirl2021

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's great advice and I actually agree! I'm only doing changes to the story that I already had in mind when I was working on the ending. Like, there are some things that I knew I was going to have to change, but I just wanted to get the ending down first. After I make those initial changes (which are now essential for the story to make sense), I'm going to let it sit for awhile, maybe have some other people read it. I'm fortunate to have some VERY honest people in my life, though it doesn't always feel so fortunate when their brutal honesty brings me nearly to tears!

Those are the best and worst kind of friends, I think. It hurts like none other, but makes everything so much better. :)

Krissy Reynolds

Once Upon A Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at about 43k, so I'm like two chapters or less away from hitting 50k. After I hit that mark, I'm going to throw myself a little party haha

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
It's so funny - I was out all day and this morning I had a feeling I just shouldn't go because of something writing wise and lol...lo&behold...writing news :tongue I'm so excited for her (she went through something like 80 rejections on this novel and over 100 on her last), so w0ot.

*looks at novel*
If only one day, novel will be ready to query again

How's your contemp going, Ely? And what happened to your high fantasy? :( I loved the snippets I'd read of it

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I *stalk* Leigh Ann on twitter and I LOVE her blog. She is super nice and I love it when writers who have sent query after query get agents because it's proof that if you work hard enough good things happen. Also, ONE sounds awesome. I read a few snippets of it on her blog and I seriously can't wait to read the entire book someday.

Hehe. Well, while I was writing my high fantasy, I decided that maybe I should force myself to finish something before I start another project. Since I'm SO CLOSE to finishing my contemp, I figured that I'd work on it instead. I really need to break my habit of starting new ideas and not finishing them. Once I finish my contemp, then I have no excuse whatsoever to not finish any other project that I come up with. So, you'll be seeing more of my HF soon. Thanks for reading (and loving) the snippets that I posted on my blog so far.

And congrats on reaching 53K! :)