What four top agents love in a query (and what they hate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
There's a great interview with Julie Barer, Jeff Kleinman, Renee Zuckerbrot, and Daniel Lazar in this month's Poets & Writers. As always, it's fun and enlightening to get insider information from the people we're querying.

LAZAR: If any of my clients ever win a National Book Award or a Pulitzer Prize, nobody's ever going to know it because I will go down in history as the agent who sold Scared of Santa.​
Here's the full article.

And here's Scared of Santa. :D

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I read this article a few weeks ago in hard copy. V. informative. Also quite interesting, to see the people behind the names we all query.

Thank you for posting the link. :)

MelodyO

Registered
Reaction score
You're so welcome! It's almost a relief to see how they're human just like us, with horror stories of best-sellers they passed up, or how it crushes them to have an author go with a different agent. I mean, I always knew they were human...but a little part of me tended to imagine them as Greek gods sitting on clouds waiting to see which mortal they were going to screw with next. Hee.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
I think there was actually a thread on it, in which another AWer brought it to the writer's attention that Kleinman may have referred to his MS.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think there was actually a thread on it, in which another AWer brought it to the writer's attention that Kleinman may have referred to his MS.

Oops! You're right! I read that thread too, but I hadn't seen the article til today...

Last edited:

MelodyO

Registered
Reaction score
Oops, I didn't see that thread until now either. I guess AW really is where all the cool kids hang out. ::puts on shades in case an agent drops by::

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the same applies to agents in other countries? As we don't all query American agents? Just wondered. :)

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
So basically, we can shut AW down and just link it to that article because they talked about everything. i mean Everything anyone ever asks here. Fantasic article. thanks melody. :)

MelodyO

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the same applies to agents in other countries? As we don't all query American agents? Just wondered. :)

I think every agent in the world is a unique snowflake, and should be treated on a personalized basis...but no stalking. Hee.

MelodyO

Registered
Reaction score
So basically, we can shut AW down and just link it to that article because they talked about everything. i mean Everything anyone ever asks here. Fantasic article. thanks melody. :)

I know, right? Little did we know that all you have to do to find out all the agent secrets is to get them drunk and ask them. Makes sense, though.

Also, HI NEVADA! ::waves like mad::

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score

They don't have our wit and good looks.

Henri Bauholz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zenloonatic.blogspot.com
I agree, it was a good read and very informative. Since that piece came out another writer mag has followed suit with a similar interview with five agents, one of whom was Julie Barer. I'm not sure which magazine it was, but I liked the P & W article better. It was more informative.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, MelodyO.

Cheers,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.