A Game of Thrones Mega Thread (No Book Discussion)

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
READ Carefully...

I questioned the TV show and season three...I did not discuss the book in the quote.

But you can't really discuss the show without the books creeping in the conversation as the show is woven very closely with the books. Hell, the fact that Martin is involved in the show makes it that much more of a topic between show and books...

I understand that. And I realize that what you said wasn't a huge spoiler. But I just finished book 2, I'm getting ready to start book 3, and clearly what you said came from a book later than what we've seen in the TV Show.

And discussing the difference between something on the show and the same event in book is one thing. Bringing up something from a later book is different. I've worked really hard to have no idea what is going to happen to these people as the books go on, and I really want to keep it that way. That's all I'm saying.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I've worked really hard to have no idea what is going to happen to these people as the books go on, and I really want to keep it that way. That's all I'm saying.

Just keep thinking, "Sunshine and rainbows. It's all sunshine and rainbows. With the occasional pony."

:D

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
Just keep thinking, "Sunshine and rainbows. It's all sunshine and rainbows. With the occasional pony."

Sunshine, rainbows, and ponies. Got it. By that, I assume you mean mysterious shadows, red comets, and destriers. :)

And don't get attached to anyone character...anyone.

Any inclination I had toward that was shattered by the Ned Stark. I suddenly realized what a mistake my affection for him was. Silly Grrarrgh.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
20 days and counting till season two premier.

I might also add, that I got my DVD box set the other day and glad I pre-ordered because the price is now higher on Amazon than the pre-order deal. Still a better deal than what Walmart is charging...

I might also note, Amazon is offering the whole package for the Kindle Fire, or you can order each episode individually.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Grra,

You'll enjoy book 3. It went so much faster for me than book 2. Book 2 had a lot of "wandering around" by certain characters and book 3 really seems to set things back in motion again.

Oh, and you'll get a new POV in book 3. (REALLY BIG GRIN.)

Just try to resist. That's all I'm sayin'.....

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
Grra,

You'll enjoy book 3. It went so much faster for me than book 2. Book 2 had a lot of "wandering around" by certain characters and book 3 really seems to set things back in motion again.

Oh, and you'll get a new POV in book 3. (REALLY BIG GRIN.)

Just try to resist. That's all I'm sayin'.....

I just finished book 3 and you're right - I loved it. There were actually 2 new POVs, both of which I enjoyed. I need a day or 2 to process it all, go over a few things again, then it's on to book 4.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished book 3 and you're right - I loved it. There were actually 2 new POVs, both of which I enjoyed. I need a day or 2 to process it all, go over a few things again, then it's on to book 4.

Wow! How fast did you finish that? It was a MONSTER!

Yep! One new POV in particular "converted" me in a sense. And oh, how I loathed feeling that way in the beginning. :D

"I can't like HIM. Noooooo."

Do you know the story about book 4? That it got too big and Martin removed a lot of main POVs, focusing more on one area of the world?

The first 2/3 of book 5 occurs at the exact same time as book 4 because he went back and returned to those missing POVs.

I almost wanted to read book 4 and 5 at the same time. There are links out there on how you would order the chapters. But, a lot of folks were thrown in book 4 because of that.

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! How fast did you finish that? It was a MONSTER!

Yep! One new POV in particular "converted" me in a sense. And oh, how I loathed feeling that way in the beginning. :D

"I can't like HIM. Noooooo."

Do you know the story about book 4? That it got too big and Martin removed a lot of main POVs, focusing more on one area of the world?

The first 2/3 of book 5 occurs at the exact same time as book 4 because he went back and returned to those missing POVs.

I almost wanted to read book 4 and 5 at the same time. There are links out there on how you would order the chapters. But, a lot of folks were thrown in book 4 because of that.

I started the book last Wednesday, and thanks to basketball, I spent literally the entire weekend reading it. Plus, thanks to my Kindle, I read all the time. Blow drying my hair, putting on makeup, brushing my teeth, cooking, etc. :).

I did not know that about the next 2 books, though. I think I would like to read 4, then 5, then go back and read them at the same time using one of those links. That sounds amazing. I'm looking forward to an eventual re-read of 3.

Mr. Grr has only read the first 50 pages or so of book 1, and watched the show, so I can't talk about 3 with him. I don't know anyone who's read it, and it's killing me!!! And I'm not stepping foot into the book thread until I'm caught up. I've come too far spoiler-free to have it ruined now!

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I started the book last Wednesday, and thanks to basketball, I spent literally the entire weekend reading it. Plus, thanks to my Kindle, I read all the time. Blow drying my hair, putting on makeup, brushing my teeth, cooking, etc. :).

I did not know that about the next 2 books, though. I think I would like to read 4, then 5, then go back and read them at the same time using one of those links. That sounds amazing. I'm looking forward to an eventual re-read of 3.

Mr. Grr has only read the first 50 pages or so of book 1, and watched the show, so I can't talk about 3 with him. I don't know anyone who's read it, and it's killing me!!! And I'm not stepping foot into the book thread until I'm caught up. I've come too far spoiler-free to have it ruined now!

It just kills you, doesn't it? My husband hasn't read the books but LOVES the show and he'll say things like.... "oh, so and so will come back and kick butt" and I'm thinking, "Well, no, that person dies...." (haha)

He flipped OUT at Ned's fate.

Some people really disliked Feast for Crows, but I liked it. I knew what I was getting into. You get a new main POV which I really like (highlight to read): >>> Cersei <<<<<

And you get to see the Iron Isles culture and the Sandsnakes which I found interesting. I kind of just took it for what it was, knowing I'd get the other POVs back again in book 5.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

Craster, you're a tease! Where can I find this reading order? My reread must be chronological. :D

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score

I was thinking about this again this morning, and knowing this, it seems even more ridiculous that it took him 6 years to get book 5 out.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Wow, that's a lot of book discussion for a thread with the subtitle "No Book Discussion".

(I haven't read the books but am not the sort to wail over a spoiler or two.)

We just finished rewatching the entire first season on DVD and I must say that on the second viewing (and knowing what was going on much more clearly), I could muster very little sympathy for Stark (Ned). I mean every person who could speak told him what was going to happen and he just skipped blithely along toward destruction anyway, resulting in so many people close to him being murdered. I felt he deserved to die just for that reason alone.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if there's one thing GRRM does well is punishing characters for making stupid mistakes. :)

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
I'm quivering in my studded leather jerkin with anticipation.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I have plans to watch with a friend I gave the books to years ago in college. I'm now surprised by the number of people that talk about the show at my job (and now have started the books)

Sadly, I killed my own cable last month. What's the delay for watching on iTunes? Days? Months?