NaNoWriMo 2011

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't done anything but run errands and work on problems with my other independent contractor business.
And now I've got a mild headache.

I was pretty excited to hit 20k last night--guess I'm feeling safe enough to cut it close today.
Still, it's only 6:30pm on day 9 here...still have 5.5 hours to come up with something for the day!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
[Lilli is feeling NO WORD JEALOUSY. AT ALL. PERIOD. ZIP. ZERO. Srsly. Lilli is not allowed to feel word jealousy. 'Specially right now.]

I'm finally into double-k digits. 11.2k-ish, and I'm hopefully going to write more today... I want to get to at least 2k total for today, so about 2-300 more words to go, and probably more because I actually know somewhat where this next scene (and the one after that) are going. My plot issues are somewhat fixed! For... y'know... the next two scenes. >.< I'm really glad, though--I finally took people's advice, tweaked it, and had a magic elemental wreak havoc in my MC's workplace. Not only did I discover something of the magical entities/creatures/what-have-you in my world (apparently magic elementals are teh sooper scareh), but the effects of the attack managed to tie together the main plot and the beginning of an important subplot. (Ooh, I feel all writerly, saying awesome writerly stuff like that...!) So, yay, I like NaNo. :D :D :D

Also, elements of government red tape are creeping into my world. I'd had no idea the paperwork/status/restrictions/regulations involved for people with special abilities like my MC and one of my favorite secondary characters (which, actually, I totally love all my secondary characters, so that's actually saying something!). Also the perks. Like a better paycheck and competitive job offers. (But lots of paperwork, so life sucks for them sometimes. :D)

Squeeeeeee.... I'm sooooo excited about my story again. :D I've missed this feeling. I had it before NaNo started, but it's been a little... shall we say... *not present* this past week or so.

And I *still* do not have word envy. Nope. Not at all.

ETA: NOT ENOUGH HAPPY SMILIES. :D :D :D :D :D :D THERE. YOU'RE WELCOME.

I WANT to read that novel!

As for me, I just backed up my novel on my flash drive (which took me nearly five minutes to find, despite the fact that my desk is, at the moment, clean). I'm at 11.4k or so, and pleased with the fact that I haven't missed a single day of writing so far! I'll probably do a bit more tonight--things are going well right now.

plain Lo

still burning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm beginning to get a little extremely overwhelmed by my novel because I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a lot more than the 50,000 words to finish the story and make sure I cover everything and I've never attempted to write anything this long or in this genre.

I'm really happy with where the story's going now, though, so at least there's that.

18, 330 words in two days.

Wow! Great job! Just make sure you're taking care of yourself too.

It's just daunting knowing you're far behind.
We all feel this way at some point. Don't give up yet!

Needs hugs and then kicks: D

Tuesday morning came and I thought I'd do some writing before I went out. My net book screen had cracked :cry: I couldn't turn it on, and couldn’t get my work. So have lost all of my 27k.

I'm so sorry! I agree with the other posters about trying to get it back. Hopefully you don't have to start over from the beginning.

Squeeeeeee.... I'm sooooo excited about my story again. :D I've missed this feeling. I had it before NaNo started, but it's been a little... shall we say... *not present* this past week or so.
Yay! Love it when this happens.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry! I agree with the other posters about trying to get it back. Hopefully you don't have to start over from the beginning.

Thanks:) I have had to start again. My screen's getting fixed but they don't know how long it will take them. So I just thought it would be quicker to start again, and seen as how I was doing 7k a day before I'm hoping it won't take me that long to catch up:)

Last edited:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
tonight went really well, but I petered out at 2756 instead of 3k. I'll make it up tomorrow, and actually, I'm at the correct word count for 3k a day, so I'm on target, really.

Today was fun, tho. My girl is entering the very beginning of the societal phase.... meeting my male MC happens soon! :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Went late-night shopping after work today, so no words yet, and it's already 8.36pm. I've got the day off tomorrow, so I can afford to stay up late tonight just to get some words down. :)

And tomorrow, as with all my days off, is MEANT to be all about getting the words. Not sure if that'll pan out - it hasn't on my few days off so far - but I'll give it my best. :)

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
Running with it today, had to fix some coon runs this am, and make sure everyone had straw etc., it's supposed to get coldish here tonight, superglue on a bite, some antibiotics-- good as new, made some lunch and now at the keyboard at last . . . read over a little of yesterdays stuff and I am still really liking this story complicated and twisted as it seems to be turning out.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
After I lost my 28k, I am finally back up to 8,000k and hoping to do some more tonight: D

Last edited:

The_AO

The founder of AOMANIA!
Registered
Reaction score
I hit a writer's block at 10,000 words and spent the next thousand or so words doing this bizarre stream of conscious rant about writing and my characters and everything else. Now the novel is back on track but the tone and point of view is completely changed.

SRHowen

Registered
Reaction score
Last night my daughter was yelling at her characters because they were not cooperating. So glad I started this second story, though it is going in some odd directions.

Did almost another 5k today and still working on it.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I am way behind but I'm not worried. My family promises to leave me alone for a bit today. Doing YA first person for something different. Best time to experiment. Its an adventure.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, nap time added another almost 3k to the total.

Yikes! Just looked at your widget, and I've got a lot of catching up to do! :)

Yesterday, I was looking at the original 2004 NaNo thread (the one that introduced me to this madness)--do you realize that you and I are the only posters on that thread who are still on the forums and still doing NaNo? Are we persistent, or just crazy? :tongue

SRHowen

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! Just looked at your widget, and I've got a lot of catching up to do! :)

Yesterday, I was looking at the original 2004 NaNo thread (the one that introduced me to this madness)--do you realize that you and I are the only posters on that thread who are still on the forums and still doing NaNo? Are we persistent, or just crazy? :tongue

LOL, I'd have to say crazy maybe? My daughter has done it three years in a row now, she at 20k. This one I am doing now has a hold of me like crazy, I can't even sleep because the characters keep yelling at me that they need to get into that sword fight of find someone new to seduce.

Hmm, need to go look at that thread. LOL

Edit: send em the link to that old thread, LOL I can't find it.

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Why are NaNo and Scrivener word counts far apart? I'm confused. :Huh:

I'm using the NaNo template thingie and so long as I have the project target window open and all the little section thingies I've made included in compile or whatever, it tells me right where I am at.

SRHowen

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't used the NaNo counter yet. I hit 40k last night and need to take a break today. With both my daughter and I doing it this year, yowza, the critters have gotten taken care of, but there isn't a clean dish in the house or a clean towel. Both of which I discovered after getting out of the shower this am.

So we are going grocery shopping, the coffee is also gone, then out to lunch and then home to get some cleaning done before we sit down to bang our keyboards.

Off to see what the NaNo counter says. WP says 40,203 words.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Why are NaNo and Scrivener word counts far apart? I'm confused. :Huh:

I'm using the NaNo template thingie and so long as I have the project target window open and all the little section thingies I've made included in compile or whatever, it tells me right where I am at.

I don't know why, but scrivener told me I had 33740 and NaNo bot says I have 33706. I checked it in "pages" and got 33740 so I ain't sure.... ?? I shan't quibble tho. :) tee hee. I know I'm gonna knock the 50k way out of the park, so... I'm good.

It's alllll good.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That's not that far apart. Certainly not if you're that far ahead

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I passed 26K today and hit the end of my second kid book.

And...I'm thinking about stopping. I've never failed NaNo before, but I have a lot of projects on my plate, and it makes it hard to focus on any one of them. Any time I'm writing, I feel like I should be doing something else. If I'm doing that, I feel like I should be writing.

I have two books done this November. One is decent, the other not so much. I will have more writing to do (I have a short story I need to write this month) so my word count won't stall completely, but I think this might be it for official NaNo writing.