6 NJ Fishermen presumed dead

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I'm not a fisherman (other than for sport), but I can't see any reason to put such a contrarian viewpoint on display in a thread like this.

I guess the original title annoyed me.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Yeah, it probably is a dangerous job. But I don't eat Alaskan fish. And if every fisherman today suddenly walked out on their jobs and they never sold fish again, I would give less than a shit because I don't eat fish.

When I DO eat fish, it's trout. And I am capable of getting that myself.

What I am saying is, that, perhaps fishermen don't get "respect" of a cop because their jobs are essentially useless when compared to what cops do.
FWIW, I know both, James. A friend of mine is a lobsterman and has dealt w/ difficulties before. Almost died a number of times.

I work w/ cops, a lot. All the time, in fact. So I know both sides of the equation.

Point here is not the who, it's respect your fellow writer.

You are missing that.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Diana is clearly being sarcastic.

Sarcasm which implies most people don't care that fishermen have died. That being my point. Maybe a few people don't care but there is no need to presuppose this of the entire AWWC membership many of whom are from fishing, logging and mining communities and families.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Point here is not the who, it's respect your fellow writer.

You are missing that.

No, I'm not missing that.

But I usually give respect to people who show respect to me in return.

And I get insanely annoyed at grandstanding and pedastalling of people who are doing their job.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
No, I'm not missing that.

But I usually give respect to people who show respect to me in return.

And I get insanely annoyed at grandstanding and pedastalling of people who are doing their job.
Point is, she apologized asked for the title to be changed. It was.

Everyone has their opinions, such as you and I. They differ, hence this room. If we were all the same, what a boring world this would be.

Some happen to think what others do for work is more awesome than others.

Whatever.

My hero almost died on Sunday. There you have it. He was riding a motorcycle and was hit by a car. He'll more than likely never work at his lifelong career again b/c of his injuries. He may never walk, again. He's alive b/c of his friend who is in the same line of work. He's taught me many things over the years. I'm a better person b/c of him, a much better person.

I've been crying and praying for the last several days b/c of this. He's a paramedic.

He's not on a pedestal, but he means a lot to me.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
My hero almost died on Sunday. There you have it. He was riding a motorcycle and was hit by a car. He'll more than likely never work at his lifelong career again b/c of his injuries. He may never walk, again. He's alive b/c of his friend who is in the same line of work. He's taught me many things over the years. I'm a better person b/c of him, a much better person.

I've been crying and praying for the last several days b/c of this. He's a paramedic.

He's not on a pedestal, but he means a lot to me.

My heart goes out to you for that.

But I don't see what you are saying as putting him on a pedastal. Nor were you demanding that I "care."

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
My heart goes out to you for that.

But I don't see what you are saying as putting him on a pedastal. Nor were you demanding that I "care."
Thank you. It's incredibly sad.

No, I'm not. But, I think the OP was initially feeling upset over the thread, apologized asked the thread title to be changed and is attempting to move on.

That's where I say we ought to allow that to occur. That's where the respect comes in. The OP has said it was a mistake, so...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get pissed, too. No reason to leave, though.

You apologized and that's good enough for me. My guess it's good enough for most others, as well. You asked the mods to remove the title so let them do their thing, ok.

In the interim, hang around.

No, no, no. I just meant that I had to cool myself down a little, as my apology came off snarky. I'll never leave AW.

Also, my thank to whichever mod assisted in my request.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. It's incredibly sad.

No, I'm not. But, I think the OP was initially feeling upset over the thread, apologized asked the thread title to be changed and is attempting to move on.

That's where I say we ought to allow that to occur. That's where the respect comes in. The OP has said it was a mistake, so...

Fair enough.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An interesting note on this thread: Once we removed the incendiary portion of the title almost no one looked at this thread. It does kinda prove my original point.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An interesting note on this thread: Once we removed the incendiary portion of the title almost no one looked at this thread. It does kinda prove my original point.

I read the thread after the title was changed. I didn't post originally because the discussion was taking a less than pleasant turn and I didn't want to be included.

My original thought when reading the OP, I hope they find those fishermen alive, hope and prayers for their families.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I did, Diana, but I find it difficult to say much that hasn't already been said regarding tragedies like this. That's why I rarely participate in threads of this nature. But yes, it's very sad. I wish it hadn't happened.

Reaction score
Fishing is barbaric.

They're swimming in their natural habitat and then ripped from it.

Horrible.

But R.I.P. Fisherman

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
Well Diana, I must say your Trollfu is weak. I did see the original post, but I didn't feel like feeding a troll at the time, which is what you were being. James on the other hand I'm going to let slide, as Diana kind of had it coming with her original bit of trolling, and he gave her what she was asking for.

In general though I'm kind of against allowing these thread titles to be edited. It's kind of a cowards way out, and in most forums I participate in, people(myself included) find it annoying because it allows for a person to potentially weasel out of what they previously said. Perhaps allowing for the deletion of a topic if the poster makes a formal apology topic would be acceptable to me, that way whoever does something this foolish again can get barbecued for a while by some flaming, until they set things straight.

The thing everyone here ought to remember is that the beauty of online forums is that they force you to think in order post something. If a person decides to troll than, I figure that person should either be up for open flaming, or the thread should simply be closed and the user's account frozen for a day or two.

I've said my peace.