• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Anthology] The Tomorrow Project

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
In the Norwescon goodie bag was a flyer for The Tomorrow Project (http://tomorrowproject.uw.edu/). From the website:
"The Tomorrow Project" is an international program that explores and creates science fiction based on science fact. The project features science fiction stories, comics and short screen plays based on current research and emerging technologies and examines their affect on our future.
Regarding compensation:
The stories accepted for publication by the editorial board will be complied into an anthology. The anthology will be published online and available as a free electronic download. A limited number of physical books will be printed for the authors (each author will receive two printed copies) and events. The Project host and sponsors will be doing some publicity and distribution of the anthology.
Regarding copyright:
Author grants to Intel Corporation and Intel's subsidiaries and independent contractors ("Intel"), a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use, copy, and have copied, publish, market, make, have made, import, export, display, distribute the Work; to translate the Work into other languages or dialects and to exploit such translations; to copy and distribute all or any of the Work (including abstracts) on physical analogue and digital data carriers; to make recordings on devices for repeatable play-back using picture or sound carriers, and the right to copy, distribute and play same back; and to have the Work rendered by third parties.
Contributors receive a couple of books and exposure -- the site tosses out the name Cory Doctorow -- but there's no mention I can find of monetary compensation, and the "perpetual, irrevocable" licensing made me uneasy. That it's hosted by UW makes me wonder if it might fall under being an academic publication, yet I don't think it does. The license is to Intel.

Thoughts?