Rant: WTF is up with you city people?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Cross-posting from here, so is this why you say you need a gun to butcher sheep?

In Zuni, we tie them up and load them in the back of a pickup to drive back them to my grandmother's house to butcher them (it's about an hour drive back to the village).
Yes. Some get butchered, most get sold. I don't make any money off it. It's really a wash. If I was losing money on it which I would if I didn't at least get my family's meat out of it, if I had to pay someone to butcher, then it would be a loss and I'd have to stop or radically curtail things. My alternative is to raise prices and cater to hobby farms who want pets instead of homesteaders, but I want to help the homesteaders, the people who need help but are willing to work. I don't have a village to help. I don't have an extended family to help. I have 2 kids who can help when they have time and aren't off at college. They aren't willing to do the kill. I don't have the physical strength to not use a firearm.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Probably true, but a gun certainly isn't absolutely required.

Try something else when you have nerve damage leaving you with a nearly paralyzed arm and nobody to help

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious about this... if you're breeding your own sheep, wouldn't it be more efficient to slaughter them around the one year mark (the standard for lamb, at least here) since you're getting new mouths to feed anyway? I would have thought that their most rapid period of growth would be in the first year.
Wouldn't keeping them past a certain point just result in diminishing returns for the amount of pasture they eat?

We raised a few motherless lambs when I was a kid, but that's all the direct experience I've had... sorry if this was a dumb question.
If you have a breeding population and save some to continue to breed you may want to cull based on conformation, horn status, behavior and or fleece and often you can't make a final determination on one or all of those until about 2 years. Some you can pick out early and they go to slaughter sooner. Others you just have to watch and wait

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
If you have a breeding population and save some to continue to breed you may want to cull based on conformation, horn status, behavior and or fleece and often you can't make a final determination on one or all of those until about 2 years. Some you can pick out early and they go to slaughter sooner. Others you just have to watch and wait

Ah, I didn't think of it from the perspective of breeding traits. Thanks for answering. :)

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Try something else when you have nerve damage leaving you with a nearly paralyzed arm and nobody to help

Oh, George. That must have been a hard development, man.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, George. That must have been a hard development, man.
That's putting it mildly, but surgery to move the nerve helped albeit slowly. Eventually finding the right medications helped. Thankfully both arms weren't paralyzed at the same time. They took turns. Writing became physical therapy. I can do a lot of stuff again, just not for a long time at a time and have had to adjust how I do things. The worst was having to retire from surgery. At least I knew to quit.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. That decision, though--after so many hours on hours of training and experience, after your fingers learn the right tension so you could do it with your eyes closed.

When I stopped doing handwork, I could still feel the push and pull of it in my fingers. I would wake with the feel of it there like an echo.

Sounds like it was the right decision for you. What a terrible thing.

Nice to have you writing.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I take it back. The worst was when I couldn't manage basic hygiene and the pain was so bad that I prayed to die. For a few years I couldn't even leave the first floor of my house and needed a wheelchair. I'm much better now, but still in no shape to do surgery. One of the Drs said he's going to write it up and name the disease after me.

On that note, I think I'll go soak in the hot tub. That's been helpful.