• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

What time do you like to write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
I have a wild schedule. I get the kids up, get them ready to go to school, and then I have 2.5 hours before I go to the school and work. I work very part-time--only about 2.50 hours a day, but it's pretty much just to get me out of the house and I do contribute a little to the household.

After work, I have a little over an hour until the kids come home. I can read and edit some before I run out the door to get them off the bus.

So, during the week, during the hours before work, I can get a little writing/editing in. When hubby comes home, we'll usually watch a little TV after dinner. If there's nothing good on, he'll turn on his video game and I'll write. If I'm restless, which happens a lot, I'll stay up late after everyone's gone to bed and it's quiet. Nobody needs anything at that time of the day, so I can write/edit nonstop, without distractions or interruptions.

On the weekends, it's scattered times. Pretty much when everybody else has their own thing that they're doing, and they don't need me. I have 2 kids under the age of 10 who have just discovered a video game called Little Big Planet, and when they're busy at playing with that, I'll write.

I'd spend most of my time at night writing if I could, but the kids and life wear me out sometimes.

Last edited:

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
In the evening, after I get home from work. It actually helps me to unwind. Weekends are harder, because I have a tendency to just lounge around and never get started.

GhostWhoWalks

Hidden in plain sight
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to do my best writing late at night and into the early morning. Not exactly great for a normal sleep cycle, no, but trying to get lots of work done at other times of the day never seems to make much progress. During those midnight hours, however, my mind just goes a mile a minute and I tend to have very little trouble blazing through pages.

Nataku

Too long to be listed here.
Registered
Reaction score
that place on that island in that tiny country ove
I have this pesky problem where my best time to write is from the day before a full moon to the day right after the full moon and only at night.

Due to my (unpaid) work demanding I get up at 5 in the morning this makes for some pretty long tiring 3 days...

Inspie

Tea and cats and tea and cats...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a slow(ish) writer, and I constantly get derailed, so I tend to write in the evenings when I have more time to putt around and research things on Google if necessary.

When I have days off from work, I'll write during the day around errands/meals/general hygiene and use the evening hours for other things with my roommate/boyfriend/so on.

ScottleeSV

Registered
Reaction score
Between 8pm and 10pm midweek, give or take. Hard to find time because of kids, job, wife etc, so any spare time is like gold dust. Tend to get slightly more time at weekends.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Lately, I've been finding that the 7-9am part of the morning works really well for me (after a lifetime of considering myself a night owl!). I am able to self-discipline in a way that I find difficult once business hours kick in - email, facebook, and general online activity is far too alluring then - and I can avoid the mentality of 'switching off for the day' that besieges me too often around dinnertime. Without a day's worth of clutter in my brain I'm finding my thoughts are a lot clearer and I'm enjoying writing much more.

Flash80

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
It depends how tired I am etc but I tend to feel more inspired late afternoon, 5pm-ish and then early evening. I also write better when I am under pressure, I seem to need a deadline. If I have a whole day stretching out ahead of me I find it hard to get going.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Like several others here, I write in the evenings during the week because that's when I have time available. On the weekends, though, I write late morning/early afternoon, and sometimes again late at night.

I used to be one who only wrote late at night. I'm naturally very creative as a night owl :D, but the day job made that one difficult. I adjusted and now find that my mind has reset to being very creative at other hours.

Ronin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm active in the late afternoon but I pretty much try to write whenever I can.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'd always been an evening and late night writer until recently, now I am starting to write at times when the sun is up. My creative ability and energy levels are inconstant so I rarely go more than two days in a row where I write at the same time.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I have a constantly shifting work/sleep schedule, and my writing has learned to adapt with some success...

My natural writing time is 9p-1a or so, but three years working third shift got me hooked on mid-morning writing. On a good day, I can do both, but I'm usually stuck with whatever my work hours dictate.

SimplyWrite

Registered
Reaction score
First thing in the morning, before my kids get up is when I usually write. But I prefer to write at night with a little Jack on the rocks beside me. But I rarely have the energy to do this. Being a single parent, when the clock strikes 9 I'm ready to pass out.

Trapjaw

Registered
Reaction score
I usually write every night from 8pm onwards. I sometimes do a bit in the late afternoons, if I have time. Mornings... very occasionally, but I'm generally not at my most creative (or functional in most areas) in the morning.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I was just curious to know what time everyone likes to write. For me, if I'm not struggling with writing I like to write first thing in the morning. But if I'm really struggling, I usually write late at night. The words are never any good but I'm too tired to doubt myself, and then at least there's something on the page.

How about everyone else?

Henna.

Henna time at all. :e2writer:

I keep a pad or a laptop PC around me most of the day, for when the bug bites.

:e2BIC:

BekkahSmith

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to be an evening/late night writer. On the weekends, I usually start writing early - about 10-11 AM. I take a break, then come back to it at around 4-6 pm. If I didn't have a full time job, I'd probably write in the morning with a cup of coffee. :)

DarthLolita

Razor Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to write randomly throughout the day--in between classes and work assignments. Mostly, I like to write when I'm alone. That tends to be late at night in my room.

Since I live right next to my university's library, on weekends I like to get up early to go write there. I just sit at the Starbucks that's inside (I know, cliche) and write for hours :p

-May-

Registered
Reaction score
For me I have the most time to write in the mornings...and afternoon, but I have the most inspiration, and write better at night; which kind of sucks since I have to go to bed super early now to get up at 4am for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.