Wait times for Amazon, Smashwords, etc. to receive W-8BEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreadful Romantic

Registered
Reaction score
I've looked around the AW threads and Googled my heart out on this topic, so if my query is redundant, please let me know.

Being a Canadian citizen, I applied for and received an EIN over the phone the week I released my first novel, almost a month ago. I mailed W-8BEN forms to Smashwords, Kindle, and CreateSpace that day, and obviously I don't expect the tax situation to be sorted out immediately. But I wanted to hear from other authors living outside the U.S. about how long it took for them to acknowledge the form's receipt and stop withholding taxes, just to get a ballpark figure. I think Kindle said to expect to wait 6-8 weeks, but will it really only be that short?*

*I file my taxes in February and I tend to get my refund sometime in May. I'm used to playing the waiting game :)

adrianstaccato

Registered
Reaction score
I've looked around the AW threads and Googled my heart out on this topic, so if my query is redundant, please let me know.

Being a Canadian citizen, I applied for and received an EIN over the phone the week I released my first novel, almost a month ago. I mailed W-8BEN forms to Smashwords, Kindle, and CreateSpace that day, and obviously I don't expect the tax situation to be sorted out immediately. But I wanted to hear from other authors living outside the U.S. about how long it took for them to acknowledge the form's receipt and stop withholding taxes, just to get a ballpark figure. I think Kindle said to expect to wait 6-8 weeks, but will it really only be that short?*

*I file my taxes in February and I tend to get my refund sometime in May. I'm used to playing the waiting game :)

Hey there

I'm Canadian. I mailed out the Kindle forms for the W-8BEN on August 14th and received an acknowledgement by email that my withholding rate was now 0% on August 28th.

Hope this helps.

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the UK, I sent my forms to Smashwords and Lulu but I can't remember how long it was before my settings changed so they didn't automatically take witholding tax. I don't think it was that long, so a 6-8 week wait seems about right.

Dreadful Romantic

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon sent me an email yesterday saying that they had received my information and my tax withholding rate is now 0%. That was faster than I expected!

Status
Not open for further replies.