• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

McKenna Publishing Group

fredbaxter

Is anyone familiar with McKenna Publishing Group?

http://www.mckennapubgrp.com

They seem legit as a small publisher, but P&E does not recommend them because of their association with the Sligo Literary Agency. I am familiar with this "Conflict of interest," but has anyone worked with them who can offer some insight?

Thanks,

F.B.

fredbaxter

Has anyone dealt with the McKenna Publishing Group? If so, what's their story?

Thanks,

F.B.

Leyla

Registered
Reaction score
I looked at their website which looks ok but I frowned at the part saying no phone calls unless under contract. Eouch, you can't even call to inquire on a publishing kit. I plan on going with Infinity Publishing. Some editors are connected to lists of Agents and publishers. Depending on who you can afford I do know of Donna Peerce and Laurie Rosin but as far as I know Ms. Peerce doesn't have a website at least that I haven't been able to find. However Ms. Rosin does, just type their names in the search engine.

Fishmonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ekaterinasedia.com
Fred --
Seems like a small press, mostly for non-fiction. There's a post from one of their authors here: http://forums.writersweekly.com/viewtopic.php?p=29336&sid=e7eaeea176d25e94252365de3481bc18

They are also members of PMA, and have an entry at the Writer's Market:
http://writemarket.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlink&cid=44&min=20&orderby=titleA&show=10

They expect their authors to do a lot of promotion (which I suppose is reasonable for non-fiction.) Hope this helps.

Leyla --
Infinity is a vanity press, far as I know.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Leyla said:
Some editors are connected to lists of Agents and publishers. Depending on who you can afford
Friends, respectable, effective, and legitimate agents and publishers are not paid out of pocket by authors. If you pay an agent anything but commission on sales, it's called "being taken," and if you pay a publisher, it's called "vanity publishing." Publishers are supposed to pay you (yes, even if you're a first-time author), and your agent is supposed to get paid a percentage of what the publisher pays you. Nobody is supposed to get paid anything for referrals or "connections." The Index sticky'd to the top of this page lists several threads on how publishers and agents work, both legit and scam.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
McKenna Publishing is under common ownership with Sligo Literary Agency, which charges upfront fees and has a miniscule track record of sales to small and specialty publishers. Many Sligo clients seem to wind up published by McKenna, which needless to say is a conflict of interest--if an agency can feed its clients into its own publisher and make money thereby, it doesn't have a lot of incentive to approach other publishers.

I don't know if McKenna charges any fees, but based on what I see at its website, I'd suspect it has very limited ability to market and promote its books.

- Victoria

fredbaxter

Beware of McKenna!

Beware, oh beware-- the reason I originally posted my message was to see if anyone else had a problem with them. Back in July they said they were going to offer a contract, but when I asked some simple questions about their process (royalties, copies, lead time-- real basic stuff)-- the guy (Eric Bollinger, who appears to be the only employee of this company) tried to intimidate me by saying that I obviously knew nothing about the publishing business and refused to answer the questions. He then disappearred for several weeks, and not one in many calls to his office did ANYONE answer the phone (the message was recorded on a machine that sounded like it was bought for ten bucks at Wal-Mart). After several e-mails, he finally wrote back and called me a pest (all because he never returned any of my messages or phone calls), and again mentioned that I knew very, very little about the publishing business. Yet, he still wouldn't answer my very simple questions. At that point I had had enough (this has been going on since July - 3 months)-- so I wrote back and said that despite P&E's warning that McKenna was a conflict of interest because this guy also runs Sligo Literary Agency (which, by the way, apparently charges reading fees), he wrote back and accused P&E of preying on inexperienced writers, a comment that didn't make much sense to me (especially since that seemed to be exactly what he was doing - the more I revealed that I knew about the publishing industry, the more belligerent he became). I only wish I could have seen a copy of the contract-- the questions I asked him probably concerned him that I was just some dumb hack and that I would easily see right through his little game.

So, in brief, this experience was a nightmare, and now I just feel a sense of relief that it is finally over, despite the disappointment of having to start shopping my manuscript around again.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If Amazon is to be believed, hasn't published anything since '10 (under either McKenna or Sligo).

Mozart

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, beware of this company!! It's owned by one man along with Sligo Literary Agency. It's unstable at best.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just for the record, did publish one more mid-'12.

ETA: And a Kindle edition of an '02 book in '15.

ETA2: Turns out Mr. Bollinger passed away early '14. Book above last activity.

Last edited: