Offer of pub for another MS - nudge or no?

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Hey, guys. Quick question, hopefully an easy one:

I'm signing directly with a pub for my last book. They wanted to see my newest one, too, which currently has queries out to agents.

Would I/should I email any agents with my query or MS and let them know my last book was picked up and my current one is being considered?

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If you get an offer, let the agents who have your partials or fulls know, but not folks you've queried and haven't heard from. If you're still looking for an agent, they might grab the change to rep you since you've already done the leg work--unless you've already signed a contract and agreed to go with a small publisher that won't be earn a chunk of money. An agent could try to sub your work to larger publishers, but if you're given the rights to the first in a series, there may be legalities involved. If it were me, I'd probably consult a lawyer before signing the contract.

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
If you get an offer, let the agents who have your partials or fulls know, but not folks you've queried and haven't heard from. If you're still looking for an agent, they might grab the change to rep you since you've already done the leg work--unless you've already signed a contract and agreed to go with a small publisher that won't be earn a chunk of money. An agent could try to sub your work to larger publishers, but if you're given the rights to the first in a series, there may be legalities involved. If it were me, I'd probably consult a lawyer before signing the contract.

The two books are completely unrelated. I could take the more recent book to another publisher if an agent wanted to rep me and shop it around.

Thanks for the input!

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh good. I thought you were talking about a second book in a series! Congrats on your success!