iTunes doesn't recognize wireless network

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
We have an HP laptop with Vista. We have 4 profiles on it. Mine is the admin.

We have iTunes and we're trying to get iCloud for PC to work on my wife's side, since she has an iPhone.

iTunes does work on my profile, which does her no good since all her music is on her profile. I can update, access the iTunes store from my profile, but not hers.

I thought I had it figured out. I turned off Norton firewall but that didn't do anything. When I turned off Windows Defender, I was able to update iTunes from her profile, but when it finished and restarted the computer, I couldn't duplicate my success and iTunes once again won't recognize the Internet connection and when I try to download iCloud I get a "server not available" message.

We have no issues with any other programs and Internet access.

Any suggestions?

I guess I could just try to transfer all her music and such to my profile and let her log-in iTunes from my account since I have my own laptop.

Deleted member 42

What do you mean "doesn't recognize Wireless network"?

Can she use other Web services?

Have you verified her Apple ID?

Is her Apple ID on her iPhone as her iCloud ID?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
iTUnes cannot connect to the Internet. It keeps telling me to check my Internet connection even though I can connect using every other means available to me.

Yes. Her apple ID works on her iPhone and it's the same for her iCloud.

Deleted member 42

iTUnes cannot connect to the Internet. It keeps telling me to check my Internet connection even though I can connect using every other means available to me.

Yes. Her apple ID works on her iPhone and it's the same for her iCloud.

Can you surf the Web? It's just iTunes that's weird?

I suppose you've done the shut-everything-down-and-reboot thing?

If so, would it be possible to connect her computer directly via Ethernet?

Not sure what you mean by "download iCloud"; you shouldn't need anything other than iTunes.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's an iCloud control panel or manager that needs downloading along with iOS5, IIRC.

I'm currently having difficulties with my wireless router, and not sure what I've stuffed up - if I eventually work it out, I'll post something here. It was fine up until two days ago, until I tried to set up our printer over the LAN (i.e. through ports connected to our Gigabit switchbox), and couldn't view it.

I mention this because my problem seems to coincide with yours in a couple of ways: wifi router problem, and Vista. I'm at the point now where the Win7 desktop can print over the LAN, but the Vista laptop can't. And since I started messing about, my wireless doesn't reach the internet anymore.

Anyhoo. If I make progress, I'll check back!

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, what Poetinahat said. There's an iCloud control panel you need to download for the pc so you can access your shared files.

Basically, only the two Apple software products don't seem to connect to the internet. Everything else does.

And no, I haven't tried to connect directly. I could do that to see if it connects that way.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OK. I finally got around to hooking it directly to our router. Same problem. iTunes doesn't recognize any connection. I even changed my wife's profile to an administrator to see if that would do anything. Didn't help. I turned off the firewall. Still nothing.

And yet I can use Facebook, Twitter, and so on.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
OK. I finally got around to hooking it directly to our router. Same problem. iTunes doesn't recognize any connection. I even changed my wife's profile to an administrator to see if that would do anything. Didn't help. I turned off the firewall. Still nothing.

And yet I can use Facebook, Twitter, and so on.

This is a shot in the dark, but so many Windows Apple-related things seem to rely on a service called Bonjour, and even more oddly on something called Bonjour Printer Services, which seems to do all kinds of important things that aren't printer related. (They might as well call it Universal Exports.)

Try downloading and installing it on your wife's profile. It probably can't hurt.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
This is a user-specific issue, so my guess is there is a per-user preferences / setup file somewhere that needs to be 1) edited or 2) deleted so it can be properly reconstructed.

Check anything Apple under your user's local directories (c:\users for Win7, c:\Documents and Settings for WinXP).

Hope this helps.

-cb