Sharia courts now sanctioned by UK

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
They appease radicals then wonder why said radicals are taking over. Unbelievable.

This should prove how glad we should be to live in America.

Takvah

Not a D list ego massager...
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Makes you wish we could be as "evolved" as them, doesn't it? If Brown and the rest of Europe supports Obama, it's good enough reason for me to support McCain. We're alone in taking on radical Islam... and worse still, half of this country seems willing to follow Europe's lead on appeasement. Unreal.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Jewish Beth Din courts operate under the same provision in the Arbitration Act and resolve civil cases, ranging from divorce to business disputes. They have existed in Britain for more than 100 years, and previously operated under a precursor to the act.

Sounds like everyone gets their own special 'court'. But don't let that stop you from singling out the Muslim ones as some sort of threat to democracy.

Takvah

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone gets their own special court. Why single out the Muslims as 'radicals'?

Do those cases end up with a woman being stoned to death on the street? That might be where the "radical" thing comes in.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Do those cases end up with a woman being stoned to death on the street? That might be where the "radical" thing comes in.

I missed the stonings in the article...anyway, if you fear being sentenced to stoning at a voluntary arbitration hearing you can always decline. :cool:

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Not that I think any religious court has a role in the law, of course, but I can't see why Muslim verdicts on noise pollution are any more objectionable than Jewish verdicts on noise pollution

Takvah

Registered
Reaction score
Not that I think any religious court has a role in the law, of course, but I can't see why Muslim verdicts on noise pollution are any more objectionable than Jewish verdicts on noise pollution

I think it's all nonsense and typically weak... you're living in Britain, they should all be subject to the laws of the land and the courts of the land. Honor killings are a real issue in Britain and I really believe that this sends the wrong message. The door has been opened. Women can now be treated as second class citizens and little more than chattel within the borders of the UK... that's disturbing to say the least.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score

They aren't more objectionable, they're JUST as objectionable. Neither should be allowed

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score

stoning for adultery is the law under judaism. so i take it you have an objection to the jewish courts as well?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
should that matter? isnt takvah's argument that it's a slippery slope?

Takvah

Registered
Reaction score
stoning for adultery is the law under judaism. so i take it you have an objection to the jewish courts as well?

Absolutely. And if Jews in this country wanted their own system of law I would be completely against it. I don't care if it was civil or criminal.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
But both the Jewish and Muslim arbitration courts have to follow British law, right? At least that's how I'm understanding it. And stoning someone to death is against the law there, as they have no death penalty.

Enlighten me if I'm wrong here, please.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
should that matter? isnt takvah's argument that it's a slippery slope?
Yes it should. Since extremist Islam makes attempts to impose its views on outsiders while Judaism doesn't. Furthemore, similar things do actually happen under Sharia law in some countries, while they do not under Jewish law. So, I'd say it is a valid concern.

Takvah

Registered
Reaction score
But both the Jewish and Muslim arbitration courts have to follow British law, right? At least that's how I'm understanding it. And stoning someone to death is against the law there, as they have no death penalty.

Enlighten me if I'm wrong here, please.

Douglas Murray, the director of the Centre for Social Cohesion, said: “I think it’s appalling. I don’t think arbitration that is done by sharia should ever be endorsed or enforced by the British state.”

There are concerns that women who agree to go to tribunal courts are getting worse deals because Islamic law favours men.

Siddiqi said that in a recent inheritance dispute handled by the court in Nuneaton, the estate of a Midlands man was divided between three daughters and two sons.

The judges on the panel gave the sons twice as much as the daughters, in accordance with sharia. Had the family gone to a normal British court, the daughters would have got equal amounts.

In the six cases of domestic violence, Siddiqi said the judges ordered the husbands to take anger management classes and mentoring from community elders. There was no further punishment.

In each case, the women subsequently withdrew the complaints they had lodged with the police and the police stopped their investigations.

The proverbial slippery slope is ALREADY evident.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Aren't court shows like Judge Judy and The People's Court the same way? Basically, people agree to have an arbiter outside the normal justice system, and are bound by contract to agree to the judgement.

If we have Judge Judy, why not Rabbi Schwartzman or Imam Hassan bin-Nasiyrah? I hate to say it, but it sounds like something that will help keep petty cases out of our already overburdened court system.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Douglas Murray, the director of the Centre for Social Cohesion, said: “I think it’s appalling. I don’t think arbitration that is done by sharia should ever be endorsed or enforced by the British state.”

There are concerns that women who agree to go to tribunal courts are getting worse deals because Islamic law favours men.

Siddiqi said that in a recent inheritance dispute handled by the court in Nuneaton, the estate of a Midlands man was divided between three daughters and two sons.

The judges on the panel gave the sons twice as much as the daughters, in accordance with sharia. Had the family gone to a normal British court, the daughters would have got equal amounts.

In the six cases of domestic violence, Siddiqi said the judges ordered the husbands to take anger management classes and mentoring from community elders. There was no further punishment.

In each case, the women subsequently withdrew the complaints they had lodged with the police and the police stopped their investigations.

The proverbial slippery slope is ALREADY evident.

I'm not suggesting that it's a good deal for women, or something that should be allowed at all. But you mentioned stonings and honor killings above, and I'm wondering if that is going to be allowed, in England, as a punishment.

Takvah

Registered
Reaction score
Aren't court shows like Judge Judy and The People's Court the same way? Basically, people agree to have an arbiter outside the normal justice system, and are bound by contract to agree to the judgement.

If we have Judge Judy, why not Rabbi Schwartzman or Imam Hassan bin-Nasiyrah? I hate to say it, but it sounds like something that will help keep petty cases out of our already overburdened court system.

So domestic violence cases should be arbitrated (that's what JJ and the rest of the TV courts are) by faux courts?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

The difference is that Judge Judy only handles small claims as far as I know, not heavier stuff, and the producers pay all the awards anyway, so the participants don't lose anything by appearing except their dignity.