Alaska thriller writer joining the conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to AW! Have fun and a cookie!

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
Howdy from the GreatLand, Alaska.

I am Basil Sands, author of several novels that have become a pretty good hit on the web in their serialized podcast audio version (over 10,000 listeners). That having been said, I have yet to sell a thing. Hopefully this board can help me along that journey.

Regardless, I am looking forward to great information, conversation and whatever else happens here.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you get started with the podcasting? And have you been advertising, or has it all been word of mouth.

-John

basilsands

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.basilsands.com
If you don't mind my asking, how did you get started with the podcasting? And have you been advertising, or has it all been word of mouth.

-John

How'd I get started? Well. I tried to sell my first book, Karl's Last Flight, got two partial and one full mss read and they turned me down. They did give some pointers as to how to fix it up though. I did those things, but still couldn't get an agent to buy it yet. I tried to figure out a way to build an audience and get feedback without giving out the text of the book.

After reading an article about SFF/Horror writer Scott Sigler I gave podcasting a shot. I'm an experienced actor (albeit amature...as in unpaid) and thought it would be fun. It was a blast and as the audience built in that I was already working on my second novel, 65 Below. I started podcasting it and landed an agent almost instantly with it.

While working to sell 65 Below and writing my third novel I put out a collection of action/thriller single podcast episode stories. The audience is good. A few other podcast novelists have recently ended up with very good contracts for the print versions. I'm hopeful.

basilsands

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.basilsands.com
Great, mate. It's September - footy finals and my team is featuring.

JJ

Now that's a game I have never partaken, but would love to. I've played Rugby Union, and once did a League style game with a guy from Australia. Do you know of any online channels that I could watch a bit of footy from up here in Alaska?

Status
Not open for further replies.