• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Content site] Adonico

cherubsmummy

Experienced Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I am working hard at starting a career as a freelance writer. Today I swallowed my fear and sent out my first email regarding a freelance job I read about through a blog. The reply came back, and although they did not specifically mention the company name, I have found out by looking at the email and googling that it is Adonico, a Russian web content company.

They are paying $2 per article, which, naturally for web content, needs to be chock full of the keywords that are the topic. They specify that the keywords must be the provided order, even if not gramatically correct. That part rubs me the wrong way. I have to write two sample articles, with a minimum character count, rather than word count.

Has anyone dealt with this company? Am I agreeing to a sweat shop for hopeful writers in the forlorne hope of collecting my first clips? I am just not sure about this whole thing, especially the lack of detail about the company.

Emma

KCH

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about that outfit--or any of the content sites for that matter. It just boggles the mind to know so many people actually think those deals make sense for a writer. Sweat shop. Your words. I'd say that $2 an article pretty much qualifies for that designation.

To my mind, if you're doing it to get clips, would word churning websites even count for much to anyone other than another content site? Especially a russian one? I wouldn't even open a url with an .ru location.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I am working hard at starting a career as a freelance writer. . . .
Allow me to recommend that you get your hands on a copy of Getting Published: The Writer in the Combat Zone, by Leonard S. Bernstein (William Morrow & Co., 1986). Although it is dated in specifics (references to typewriters), it is an admirably hard-headed, specific, readable explanation of how to become a published writer. He cuts right through the crap and the excuses.

If your local library does not have it, the library can get a copy via interlibrary loan, or maybe you can find a used or remaindered copy. Amazon has some listed, cheap.

Anyway . . . two bucks per article? I don't think so. Aim higher.

--Ken

cherubsmummy

Experienced Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! I certainly won't be sending the articles in. The good thing I gained from this is a greater confidence in my own ability. I had a written article done two hours after the topic arrived! I'll polish them up and keep searching for a market :)

Emma

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Went down in '12. The US/English version was supposedly at website-content-copywriting.com, but I'm not finding any sign it was ever more than a server placeholder page before it, too, expired.