Anne of Green Gables

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I've not read this series but have seen the movies.

I was going to try and get my daughter the movies or the books for Christmas.

She loves the movies.

If you've read the books please let me know what you thought.

Thanks.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter read the books ages ago and is still a big fan. She's green with envy that my second publisher is located in Nova Scotia and I'll be going there when my books have been published - and I'll visit Anne territory.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen the movies, and read the first book in the series some years ago.

The books and movies are very similar to each other. The one difference I noticed was that the Marilla character isn't quite the same in the book. In the Anne of Green Gables movie it's takes some time before Marilla softens up to Anne (at first she comes close to actually being mean); in the book she accepts Anne a little sooner and isn't quite the hard-nose she is in the movie.

If your daughter loved the movies, she will probably love the books. There just might not be too many surprises for her; but I don't think that's a problem for most youngsters.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I loved loved loved these books when I was 11-14. Owned all of them, reread them more than once.

I've seen an old BW movie (blech) and the first Megan Follows (sp?) version. It's fairly faithful, and well done.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
My mom read the series when she was younger and decided that she would have a red headed girl.

She shared the series with me when I was about 11, and to this day, they still count among my favorite books.

I have watched the movies, and really liked them, but I still think there is something to being able to curl up with one of the books and drift off with my kindred spirits. There is only so much that they can put in the movies. Or maybe my preference for the books is that they are like "comfort food" to me.

Last edited:

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com

She loves the movies.

Thanks.

The books are wonderful. My daughters love them. I read them as a kid myself and enjoyed them but they got turned on when my MIL got them the first book one year at Christmas.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Do get her the books. They are one of those classic girlhood series that should not be missed. They are beautiful and innocent but also thoughtful: Anne gently questions her ideas about religion, there are scenes dealing with political party lines, times of death and mourning, the hard "what do I want to be" questions and later in the series Anne has children and she and her children have to deal with WWI.

The first Megan Follows movie is excellent. The second one squishes the next 2-3 books in the series together. The third movie is an abomination to the Green Gables series. It is completely removed from the actual events of the series. Can you tell I hate it? I pretend it was never made and am still waiting for a movie to portray the mid-end of the series.

As for my own copies, I got my first set in 4th or 5th grade, read them to pieces by high school and purchased a new set at 18 or so. They are inexpensive. I can't wait for my girls to read them,

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My grandmother got them for me when I was in my early teens. Clearly my grandmother doesn't know me very well. ;)

But yeah, if your kid loves the movies, she'll love the books. I think I got through one or two but it's just not my cup of tea.

Ciera_

I liked the first three books or so. After that I found them boring and tedious.
The first will always be the best. I loved it. Haven't picked it up in years...

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered her the books. Thanks everyone!

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The books are superb.

Did you like Anne: The Continuing Story?

She loves the movies.

Thanks.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I have--and still read annually--all of the Anne of Green Gables books. They are among my childhood favorites that have their own bookshelf in my study--Green Gables, all of Louisa May Alcott, the Little House on the Prairie books, the Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart (the older books, covering Betsy's life from 8th grade to marriage), Narnia, The Black Cauldron, Gladys Malvern books. I love, cherish, and still read them all.

Both of my daughters were given complete sets of their own--and both still cherish and read them too. You're giving her a gift that she will treasure for years. :)

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I liked it too, it's just that I've heard others complain about it. btw, there's a prequel film or miniseries coming about Anne's life before the Cuthberts.

creamofmushroom

>_<
Registered
Reaction score
Anne of Green Gables is the best! But I also loved the romance parts in Anne of the Island. And the first film was also my fav. When it got to the point of becoming a teacher in the 2nd movie and the war in the 3rd, it became too serious and not lighthearted...
I would also recommend the Emily series, Blue Castle (more young adult audience?) and a Tangled Web.