The problem with multiple queries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
...is the multiple rejections. I may need to stagger my queries to save my ego a little battering.

I think I had a bit of an improvement today. My latest rejection said
"While I loved some of the concepts in your query, the synopsis of the actual work did not appeal to me unfortunately. "

I just redrafted the heck out of my query; I think it's time to revisit the
synopsis.

I think the rule of thumb about not submitting in August, may be a thing of the
past. I am getting lightening-fast turn arounds on rejections. Five in the last
two days- after submitting Sunday.

All those juicy agents sitting around, ripe for the picking, twittering their thumbs
at their desks. :)

Who do I sub to next...

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, Marniy!

It's true that querying is not for the faint of heart, but it's not wise to query agents one-at-a-time.

Retooling your query and synopsis sound like good ideas.

And, yes, the agents I follow online (blogs, twitter, etc.) all say the August slowdown is a myth. Just keep doing what you're doing and remember that their rejections aren't personal.

Oh, and are you familiar with www.querytracker.net or www.agentquery.com? Both are great for finding agents.

Good luck!

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, qdsb! I'll keep on. Started revising the synopsis last night.

Good times.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Rejections are never easy. Hang in there!:)

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
It's better this way. I've done it both ways where I've queried one or two at a time over the course of a month, to sending out 30+ at a time. It's much better to get the rejections all at once. By the time the 15th comes around, you've gone numb. (And you may not even get rejected from everyone - it's too soon to tell. ^_^)

Last edited:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
It's better this way. I've done it both ways where I've queried one or two at a time over the course of a month, to sending out 30+ at a time. It's much better to get the rejections all at once. By the time the 15th comes around, you've gone numb. (And you may not even get rejected from everyone - it's too soon to tell. ^_^)

I agree. If you only have one query out, and it gets rejected, you've got nothing and have to start over. But if you have ten out, and one gets rejected, you still have hope. And then you revenge query right away, so you keep that hope alive.

And meanwhile, you start the next book. I mean, really dive into it. So that by the time you get up to 30+ rejections and you're realizing something isn't working, you are already so in love with the next project and realize how much better it can be, that you're able to shrug off the rejections and keep hoping.

Cake

Registered
Reaction score
MsJudy's advice about the next book is so true. It's so much easier for your baby to be rejected when you have a new, shiny one to focus on that will definitely be the one, until the next one tehe.

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Lord, I love the term "revenge query"!

I like the "Going numb" theory of submissions, too!

Very good advice. =)

JamesOliv

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hang in there, Marniy!

If an agent or a publisher isn't jazzed by your project, you wouldn't want them anyway. You want someone who loves it as much as you do.

You'll find that person/collective of persons, you just have to keep plugging away.

Fanatic_Dreamer

Daydreaming Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Don't give up! Rejection is just a part of the process, in fact, it's a HUGE part of the process.

Very rarely will anybody get picked up on their first query letter. It takes an average of 30+ to get any sort of positive response.

J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter novels (for those who don't know) had about 12 rejections before somebody decided to take a chance on her...and the story behind that is pure luck. The guy didn't want to market her, his granddaughter read the book and begged him to publish it.

Stephen King had gotten over 40 rejections on Carrie. Guess what? He threw it away, the entire manuscript. Only after his wife begged him to take it out of the trash did he submit it to more agents and finally got that yes. And guess what? It's gone to sell well over 1,000,000 copies.

Point is, never give up.

toomanycarbs

Registered
Reaction score
Don't give up! Rejection is just a part of the process, in fact, it's a HUGE part of the process.

Very rarely will anybody get picked up on their first query letter. It takes an average of 30+ to get any sort of positive response.

J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter novels (for those who don't know) had about 12 rejections before somebody decided to take a chance on her...and the story behind that is pure luck. The guy didn't want to market her, his granddaughter read the book and begged him to publish it.

Stephen King had gotten over 40 rejections on Carrie. Guess what? He threw it away, the entire manuscript. Only after his wife begged him to take it out of the trash did he submit it to more agents and finally got that yes. And guess what? It's gone to sell well over 1,000,000 copies.

Point is, never give up.

Thank you for this post. I have been feeling down tonight about rejections (I am a newbie to querying and have only gotten two responses so far--both form R's) These stories are encouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.