Inmate letters

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Its not that I didn't like the answer. Geez. It's that I have changed a variety of things about the way I intend to present the letters and I didn't want to assume that the information I'd gotten on a previous idea would be the same for a slightly different project.

The conflicting advice I've received is from all over the place, not exclusively here.

lachel

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, if you quote the letters, you need the permission of the author or the author's estate. If you just summarize them, I'm not sure.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Copyright law used to be simple here. You could not use letters without permission. Period. For the most part, you still can't. But thanks to congress, you can now use excerpts from letters without permission, if the work is of a scholarly nature.

But using entire letters never works, and even extensive excerpts are not allowed except in certain types of books. Just two or three years ago, there was lawsuit based on a lawyer's cease and desist letter being posted online. The district court upheld the copyright on the letter, even though the poster was the one who received the letter, because copyright law states that the writer of the letter owns publication rights, and in particular owns first publication rights, which, of course, covers unpublished letters.

And as the U. S. Copyright website says, it's best to get permission for everything you want to use that you didn't write.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the OP is still around, it sounds like getting permissions at this point would be very difficult.

However, depending on your purposes, perhaps you could mix and match the elements in the letters, change some of the wording and identifying information, and change the names. Make them unidentifiable, and put a note in there that they are representative, not any individual's actual letters, however that would be worded.

My understanding is this is done all the time in nonfiction, an accepted practice. That way you get the gist of it all, but stay out of trouble.

Last edited:

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
I couldnt change the names because thats the whole point is who these letters are from. I considered using portions of the letters which would probably work fine. Several of the inmates have been executed now and I dont have the slightest idea who their next of kin would be to ask for permission.
Jamesaritchie's post was informative and interesting. Thanks all, again!

Rhonda2

Registered
Reaction score
I think just paraphrase and of course change the names and places. Then you are safe. I wouldn't bother with a lawyer,

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Originally I hoped to write something like Jennifer Furio's Serial Killer Letters. From what I have learned here the laws are different since she published that book. My idea on the book format has changed over the years as well so its like starting all over again. I got chastised and spoken down to a little for asking this question here again but Im glad I did. It helped me find out new information and some other people were helped out to so it was worth it.

REMLIG

Registered
Reaction score
Wondering about the inmate letters...

TrixieBelden -- I'm wondering if you were able to do anything with all the inmate letters? I hope so. It sounds rather interesting.

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
TrixieBelden -- I'm wondering if you were able to do anything with all the inmate letters? I hope so. It sounds rather interesting.

Hi REMLIG,
Thanks for asking. I am currently putting together a short Kindle Single/Ebook on my experiences with the women on death row in Muncy womens prison in PA.

I have used excerpts of the letters they sent me. I have talked with an attorney and I think we have it worked out but he did say it was the strangest thing he'd ever been asked about. hahahaha

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked the original idea of a book of inmate letters, so it's a shame it can't be done that way. In any case, please share the link to your ebook when it's out!

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
I really liked the original idea of a book of inmate letters, so it's a shame it can't be done that way. In any case, please share the link to your ebook when it's out!

Thanks, I hope eventually to do something like that. I do have several who will give their permission, others who wont. I can only use excerpts without the permission and only for certain purposes.

The link is in my signature "Bitches". Thanks for asking!