• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] StoneGate Ink / StoneHouse Ink

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
I just wanted to mention that authors looking for a good indie press (Ridan Publishing - mine is closed to submission atm) should consider StoneGate Press. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway but I've been watching how they have been handling Vincent Zandri's books - and I must say I'm VERY impressed.

Posting here for others to give input - I known next to nothing abou them but from what little I've seen - they are doing things the right way.

Nattering Nabob

Registered
Reaction score
StoneGate Ink

Anything new on StoneGate? They look like a solid company with a good business plan.

How about any of their authors reporting.

Natt

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
They make it impossible for anyone to contact them without jumping through a lot of unnecessary hoops: I can understand why they don't want lots of writers submitting to them; but they're also preventing reviewers, journalists, bookshops and so on asking how to get hold of their books, which is a bad thing--for them and for the writers they publish.

They have loads of titles listed on their ebooks page but only two show up in their bookstore. And several of the bios on their author page are cringingly bad.

None of which looks any good to me.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
[Publisher] StoneHouse Ink

Saw a deal listed with these folks on PM. stonehouseink.com and wondered if anyone here has dealt with them. Quirky website.

D

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Saw a deal listed with these folks on PM. stonehouseink.com and wondered if anyone here has dealt with them. Quirky website.

D

Stonehouseink seems to be a tattoo parlour?

ETA: Ah, http://stonehouseink.net/

I find the quirky submission guidelines mildly worrying:

As a writer interested in seeing your book “in print,” you are knocking on the door of one of the most glamorous yet mysterious institutions in this country: the Publishing Industry. We know (all too well, unfortunately) that most publishers ignore potential authors, but we are different. We will tell you the truth, even if it hurts, and you will get to talk to a real person. (Imagine that!)

We embrace you. Rest assured there will be no mystery about whether or not we received your proposal. We will call, email, Tweet, Facebook or throw rocks at your bedroom window!

Our commitment to you is to actually review your information and consider it for publication with StoneHouse Ink. If we love it you might get a super cool call back. If we loathe it, we may burn your MS and hire some kid to bring you a rejection letter–but we really hate to do that to a poor kid… so who knows.

The venture of publishing is not without risk… but the rewards can be substantial.

Your manuscript has an excellent chance of success in one of our publishing channels if we accept it (big IF, people … we have limited capacity and simply can’t take on every great project that comes our way), but we do need to face facts. Both you and we will have to contribute an enormous amount of time, work, attention, and blood to secure that success … did we mention blood?

We are excited to hear about your book and are honored that you would like us to consider publishing it.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It's actually stonehouseink.net. And I agree, it's worrying. Suggest waiting and watching.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
A bit more info:

We work with agented and un-agented authors.

Here’s what we’re looking for:
Already-published authors looking to publish back list titles.
Already-published authors looking to re-brand and relaunch titles.

Genres: mainly Thriller, Suspense, Young Adult. We will consider most genres EXCEPT Romance and Erotica. We do not publish non-fiction.
Submissions that come to us via referral always get priority.

In 2013 we will take up to six new, unpublished authors. We will only consider new authors who come to us through referral (agents, our trusted contacts, etc), or we’ve spoken to in person at conferences, trade shows, etc. New authors must be actively engaged on multiple social media platforms.
http://stonehouseink.net/submissions/

Their books can't be bought through the site and there are no extracts or Amazon links.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I didn't like the smart alecky tone of the pitch to authors, even though some of what they say about the business is true. And 20 per month will get you a membership on PM, so a lot of small publishers are members. You can only post a deal if you are a member.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I didn't like the smart alecky tone of the pitch to authors, even though some of what they say about the business is true. And 20 per month will get you a membership on PM, so a lot of small publishers are members. You can only post a deal if you are a member.

That really clears things up, Donna. So the publishers who are members actually submit their deals for announcement.

tri

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anymore info on these guys? Other than the quirky submission guidelines, they do look good. I'll admit their covers are pretty good considering some I've seen on others. I could have sworn I've seen a low ranking on some of their titles.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Publishers, authors and agents can post deals, as long as they are members of PM. An author can post his/her book in the offerings section, and agents can, too. Every member gets an account page, where they post info on their books and themselves. I was surprised at how many agents (many foreign) and publishers actually READ the offerings and act upon them. To some folks, it's worth the money to get info on who's acquiring, what they are acquiring, and the email contacts to the editors who are acquiring.

Since everything is cross-referenced, you can look at deals by title, publisher, imprint or editor's name, as well as subject matter.

The moderator does vet all of the deals to make sure there's no fudging of the facts.