What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Reading City of Glass. I don't know if it's just cuz i'm in editing mode or what, but I keep stopping every paragraph to mentally cross out words that don't need to be there.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I was reading a YA novel from the library the other day, and someone had gone through with a pen and made editing corrections all the way through it! Although I have to say, most of them were unnecessary as they were in dialogue and were probably intentionally ungrammatical.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Plugging away at MARKED, the first House of Night novel, but I'm feeling a distinct lack of enthusiasm. It reads like a Tamora Pierce novel, in a bad way - the protagonist is incredibly special, and everyone constantly reassures her that she's wonderful, and she has a unique mark to let everyone who sees her know that she's special, and goddesses personally intervene to tell her how amazing she is, and yet she hasn't done a single thing worth all this admiration. And the next time a character is introduced using some combination of the words "amazing", "wonderful" and/or "adorable", I'm going to throw the damn book against the wall.

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com
Plugging away at MARKED, the first House of Night novel, but I'm feeling a distinct lack of enthusiasm. It reads like a Tamora Pierce novel, in a bad way - the protagonist is incredibly special, and everyone constantly reassures her that she's wonderful, and she has a unique mark to let everyone who sees her know that she's special, and goddesses personally intervene to tell her how amazing she is, and yet she hasn't done a single thing worth all this admiration. And the next time a character is introduced using some combination of the words "amazing", "wonderful" and/or "adorable", I'm going to throw the damn book against the wall.

My friends were going on and on about the House of Night series but Marked was enough to turn me off It plays on even YA stereotype there is.
And yes, I did throw the book against the wall. Never to turn to another House of Night book again. Ever.

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net

My friends were going on and on about the House of Night series but Marked was enough to turn me off It plays on even YA stereotype there is.
And yes, I did throw the book against the wall. Never to turn to another House of Night book again. Ever.

I've stopped half way trough. It's such a boring book. I have to agree with all the reasons you've mentioned. Just couldn't be bothered. Now looking for something else to read.

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score

I actually managed to push myself through the first two novels awhile ago when they first came out. It took forever, but I did it. I took a long break and decided to give try to reread them (since I had the intention of attempting to read the next few books in the series) and.... I couldn't make it past the fifth chapter of the first book (and that was with me skipping two of them).

But at any rate, I have the feeling you'll be throwing that book at the wall pretty soon.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score

YUCK. Can we put this under "worst trope ever"? THERE IS NOTHING I DESPISE MORE IN A BOOK. NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

And "Mockingjay" just came for my friend, whose birthday it is on the 8th November. Despite enjoying THG, I have zero exciment for MJ. Don't know why.

cheryllynn

Registered
Reaction score
I am reading clockwork angel- by Cassie Clare

Read her mortal instruments series and loved it.- Having a hard time getting into this new one though.

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
Uglies is finished, and now I'm reading Pretties. I liked the first of the series. It has pretty neat ideas. Let's see how I'll like the second. :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
There are only 50 pages left for this book to redeem itself by:

* Having the boringly perfect mentor turn out to be secretly evil.
* Developing an actual plot other than incessant gossip about who's going out with whom.
* Redeeming the flat, two-dimensional antagonist, who is constantly labelled a slut and a whore for daring to be sexually assertive.
* Giving some indication of why the protagonist is apparently being set up to be the next High Priestess and why I would want that, other than her just being born special.

But I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

edit: Aaand none of the above happened. What a waste of time.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my God, I just got to the part where the protagonist is congratulating herself for not wanting a guy to die (haemorrhaging uncontrollably in agony and panic) just for being unattractive. Yeah, you're a freaking saint. :rolleyes:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Parametric:

Well, take comfort from the fact that somewhere in heaven, Buddy Holly is singing "Mary Sue, Mary Sue" in honour of her amazing, wonderful and adorable qualities ... :)

MM

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Well, take comfort from the fact that somewhere in heaven, Buddy Holly is singing "Mary Sue, Mary Sue" in honour of her amazing, wonderful and adorable qualities ... :)

:tongue He must be singing pretty loudly, because by the end of the book she has a special tattoo which becomes an even specialier tattoo, she has special magic powers, she has a special unique bloodlust, she has a special mentor who had a special vision of her, she herself has special visions, she was specially visited by the goddess, it's strongly hinted she has a special cat (another thing directly ripped from Tamora Pierce's Alanna series), she has a special ability to just somehow know the right thing to do, and she's being pushed to be the next high priestess except super special because of her amazingly special magic powers ...

Special trinkets handed to her by the author = many.
Things she's actually done that are worthy of this much admiration = none.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Reading City of Glass. I don't know if it's just cuz i'm in editing mode or what, but I keep stopping every paragraph to mentally cross out words that don't need to be there.

hahahaha...the joys of reading as a writer :)

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
On the advice of an agent I'm hoping to snag, I picked up The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian. The first 75 pages flew by and I don't think I'll have any trouble finishing this one by the end of the week.

It's wicked awesome good.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
I edit books in my head too. Maybe because I truly love to edit.

Out of curiosity I read the first few pages of "Marked" at amazon.com. After only 5 pages, I felt my IQ slumping. There's no way I'm checking out that one because I could tell right off it would be a "throw against a wall" book for me. I haven't felt violent about a book since "Hush, Hush".

miss marisa

Registered
Reaction score
I edit books in my head too. Maybe because I truly love to edit.

Out of curiosity I read the first few pages of "Marked" at amazon.com. After only 5 pages, I felt my IQ slumping. There's no way I'm checking out that one because I could tell right off it would be a "throw against a wall" book for me. I haven't felt violent about a book since "Hush, Hush".

I think the sentiment is shared by many.

I'm rereading a lot of old books from my middle school days like Tamora Pierce and Amelia-Atwater Rhodes. Nostalgia aside, they're still pretty good.:) I just finished one of my old favorites, Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, and I'm starting on the Protector of the Small series by Tamora Pierce (which I have never read).

I also plan to read newer ones like Clockwork Angel. Could someone tell me if it's a good read?

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net

You're not alone. That book would be half the length of all of the unnecessary similes were killed.

:tongue He must be singing pretty loudly, because by the end of the book she has a special tattoo which becomes an even specialier tattoo, she has special magic powers, she has a special unique bloodlust, she has a special mentor who had a special vision of her, she herself has special visions, she was specially visited by the goddess, it's strongly hinted she has a special cat (another thing directly ripped from Tamora Pierce's Alanna series), she has a special ability to just somehow know the right thing to do, and she's being pushed to be the next high priestess except super special because of her amazingly special magic powers ...

Special trinkets handed to her by the author = many.
Things she's actually done that are worthy of this much admiration = none.

I actually have this in my pile thanks to PaperBackSwap. It looks . . . fantastic . . . o_O Eh, it'll give me fodder for my writing blog..

I also plan to read newer ones like Clockwork Angel. Could someone tell me if it's a good read?

This would depend on who you ask. I know quite a few people in the book blogging world that loved it. I personally find her work utterly derivative, not only of existing works but of her own story lines. I just don't find anything really original about them. When I read them, I felt that I could read the same story somewhere else, where it's probably better written.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I'm listening to Clockwork Angel, and even in audiobook form, I'm mentally crossing out a bunch of adjectives.

My sister loves these books, but she admits that they're horribly written. (She's not a writer, btw.) She's like, "They're just so bad, but I just can't stop reading."

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Sky is Everwhere. Beautiful book. One I'll be reading again and again, I suspect.

(It seems like every freaking book I've read lately mentions Wuthering Heights, which I've never read. Strange.)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
MStarky:

It's okay. Personally, I found it derivative, the prose goes towards purple at times and the research on Victorian London is pretty superficial (think how a Hollywood director like Michael Bay would portray a Victorian setting rather than what Dickens would do). It also helps if you don't read her MORTAL INSTRUMENTS TRILOGY first as some of the characters here are cut and paste jobs with different names and hair colour. Saying that, some of the set pieces are well handled (an attack by clockwork automatons is creepy) and the pacing just about hangs together.

MM

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Sky is Everwhere. Beautiful book. One I'll be reading again and again, I suspect.

(It seems like every freaking book I've read lately mentions Wuthering Heights, which I've never read. Strange.)
i noticed that too! although just now i can't remember exactly which books they were... but agree on The Sky is Everywhere. bookcrush!

i just finished How I Live Now, Meg Rosoff and anytime I read a book that is this 'quiet' I feel like i'm reading it underwater, or listening to it with the sound off.....

emma_kate

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Paranormalcy and loved it :) I read it after Gena Showlater's Intertwined and Unravelled and I was TOTALLY in love with those two, so thought it would be hard for the next book I read to measure up...Paranormalcy did a mighty fine job! :) Now onto Personal Demons, whoo hoo!

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Unthinkable by Shirley Duke, a new horror series from Darby Creek (imprint of Lerner Publishing) and The Strangers Outside by Vanessa Morgan, a short story from an indie, also horror. I love Halloween!

Status
Not open for further replies.