RIP Blessed Sir Patrick

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Sir Patrick Moore, astronomer and broadcaster, died today at the age of 89.

He was the man that got generations of astronomers and cosmologists interested in their subject as children. And kept of a lot us amateurs informed and entertained.

He will be greatly missed.

My best wishes to his family.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
He was a big inspiration to me when I was a nipper, but the BBC kept him on way too long. It was painful to watch him by the end.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't always agree with his political views - in fact, sometimes I found them downright abhorrent. But I can't argue with the work he did for science, astronomy and our understanding of the night sky.

RIP Gamesmaster.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't always agree with his political views - in fact, sometimes I found them downright abhorrent. But I can't argue with the work he did for science, astronomy and our understanding of the night sky.

RIP Gamesmaster.

Wasn't he some sort of europhobic English Nationalist? I have a vague memory of him joining some bonkers party or other.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
RIP
In the distinguished tradition of English eccentrics

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Moore was one of the first great popularizers of astronomy. As a boy of about 14, I discovered several of his books at the local library, and devoured them. I'm certain it focused my interest in science. I went on to become a geologist, but very nearly did astronomy, as the University I attended had one of the nation's premier astronomy-physics department, headed at that time by the legendary James Van Allen.

Moore was a treasure. Carl Sagan and Neil de Grasse Tyson stand on his shoulders. I'm sure Sagan felt that way, and that Tyson does.

caw

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
He'll be missed. For as long as I can remember, he was the face of astronomy - as well as turning his authoritative hand to such shows as Gamesmaster - and there's really no-one who can take his place.

If you haven't seen his interviews, then do try and catch them when they are shown. He was absolutely hilarious.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Nobody in the U.S. either knows or gives a rat's about Moore's goofy politics. I wasn't even aware of that until this thread. That's not what he will be remembered for. His legacy is his astronomical publication and public advocacy, and that has inspired many.

Carroll O'Connor isn't remembered for his liberal politics, but for his classic role as the arch-conservative bigot Archie Bunker of the TV series All in the Family.

Clint Eastwood won't be remembered for his bumbling right-wing performance at the 2012 Republican Presidential Convention. He'll be remembered for A Fistful of Dollars, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Dirty Harry, Unforgiven, etc.

Art often transcends politics.

(Then again, Ronald Reagan isn't remembered for being a limited-talent B-movie actor, but for that other thing he did. So there are no absolutes.)

caw

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
He'll be missed. For as long as I can remember, he was the face of astronomy - as well as turning his authoritative hand to such shows as Gamesmaster - and there's really no-one who can take his place.

I don't know if you saw any of the recent Sky at Nights, they were bizarre and terrible. Various astronomers would troop to Moore's house in Sussex and sit in the gloom while Moore loomed over them in the background, saying very little. And what he did say was almost incomprehensible. There's a theory (which I tend to believe) that (non-astronomer) John Culshaw's frequent presence on the programme was due to the need to to have a Moore impersonator redub Moore's phrases into something intelligible

That's not what he will be remembered for. His legacy is his astronomical publication and public advocacy, and that has inspired many.

Moore's occasional forays into politics were embarrassing for all concerned. There's nothing acceptable about saying the only good kraut is a dead kraut. I would plead old age as an excuse but I suspect he was always like that.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
There's a theory (which I tend to believe) that (non-astronomer) John Culshaw's frequent presence on the programme was due to the need to to have a Moore impersonator redub Moore's phrases into something intelligible

Didn't hear about that. :( His seventies and eighties interviews on Parkinson - where he really did show enthusiasm for science - sometimes appear on clip shows, and that is what I think of...

There's nothing acceptable about saying the only good kraut is a dead kraut. I would plead old age as an excuse but I suspect he was always like that.

That goes to his experiences during the war. It wasn't an isolated comment, but even with the context given it was highly uncomfortable.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's not just in America that people will remember Patrick Moore for his work and not his politics. I didn't know about his politice.

And whats more, I don't care. What I remember him for is his work in astronomy and broadcasting. As many have said, he brought a lot of children to the subject and a lot of them have gone on to do good work in the field. Just ask Nasa and the Russians.

So maybe we can lessen the disrespect a little, huh? We lost someone worth having. Let's remember that.

As for his recent TSAN, he was old and his speech was going, yes. But he still knew what he was talking about. He'd forgotten more than those around him will ever know.

S

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
So maybe we can lessen the disrespect a little, huh? We lost someone worth having. Let's remember that.

This is P&CE. If this was in Office Party, I wouldn't make a comment. Moore was a BBC employee who last year said 'the only good kraut is a dead kraut' in an interview to the Radio Times. Top that with his history of unpleasant right-wing politics - Norris McWhirter was a pal of his - and you've got a far from saintly figure.

And the recent Sky at Nights - I watched quite a few, partly because I used to love the programme, and partly out of morbid fascination - were some of the worst television I've ever seen on the BBC.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
I personally think Patrick Moore would have chuckled at the contrary thoughts on this board, and the resulting enigma. To my mind he was a modern day everyman, not only with his astronomical observations which helped both the Russians and Americans in their sixties moon race, but he was also a fairly accomplished musical composer. I saw a piece in the press at the weekend where he recollected himself and Albert Einstein combining their musical talents (though it wasn't recorded, and I get the feeling it probably involved combs covered with tissue paper) and I think you get a measure of the man. Sure he was contrary and opinionated, but what island of a man isn't?
Just wish I could find that press piece to link to..