• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Axess Printing Solutions / Print Pro Solutions

BrokenSword

keeper of the Flame
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SwordOfShakespeare.com
I was wondering if there is a source to find out information about printers, digital and offset, similar to the preds and creds for agents and publishers. Is there a resource? The company I'm considering is Axess Printing of Cumming, Ga. I've got the price for some ARCs down to something affordable but fear it may be a scam. Any input or a place to research digital printers? I'd rather get some ARCs out at lower cost and then see about offset printing a small run of 500 books.

Thanks,

Michael

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I've been to Cumming, Georgia, and it's a Real City, with a Wal-Mart, Loews, Home Depot, Starbucks, etc.:)

Is the fear of it being a scam based on anything you've heard, or is it you don't know anything about them other than their website and are just a little fearful of giving an unknown entity your money?

I did a little net.research and I don't see any problems with Axess. This google search string:
"Axess Printing" scam
brought up very few links, mostly concerning airleaf, a scam publisher, now out of business, that used (or in the end, did NOT use!) this printer:
http://airleafvictims.blogspot.com/2007_11_18_archive.html

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Cumming, GA. I could drop in there on Monday for you and make sure it's not some crackpot sham-job, that's it's an actual business. If you want.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I was wondering if there is a source to find out information about printers, digital and offset. . .
Dan Poynter has info. at his site (www.parapublishing.com) . A local affiliate of PMA -- formerly the Publishers Marketing Association -- might also be helpful (or PMA itself, http://www.pma-online.org/). I am in such a group. Members are very good about sharing information and experiences.

And as always, you can ask the company for samples and references.

--Ken

BrokenSword

keeper of the Flame
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for all the quick responses

Ben, Siddow, & Ken;

Thanks everyone for responding so quickly. The reason I was wondering is because the price seems almost too good to be true. I've paid Lulu $16.50 for the few beta reader copies I've received and as I started to get offset prices for a 500 and 1000 unit order, anything less was actually more than Lulu. They suggested I also go to a digital printer for the ARCs I wanted but that the price was in the same ballpark. I sent out a couple of quotes, one to Axess and received a pretty prompt reply and the quote was approximately $7 a book for a 100 book order. I thought this price was very doable and am currently aiming that way. But I've received no other estimates that low. I did check the BBB of Ga and they have one complaint re Axess, so they are not 'BBB compliant'; this was for a 'non contact' sort of followup. So, pretty hard to ding anyone with one complaint, I mean, no business is perfect. I did read, online, one reference that said the workmanship was sketchy at best. But that's the only one I found and again, not enough to really make an accurate assessment. So, just a feeling. I know there's a lot of wannabe authors and a lot who are preying on the desire to be published, so since there was a place to check out agents and publishers, I was wondering about printers.

The idea of contacting parapublishing is a good one. I'm aware of Dan Poynter and his book, so I'll look at that.

I appreciate the offer, Siddow. If it doesn't put you out of your way, I think it would be beneficial to have someone make a visual inspection and judgement on what Axess is. Again, the price seems pretty low so I wonder how real it is. I suppose you might get a quick quote for 100, 600-page B&W full color perfect bind cover. If your quote comes back in the same area as $7 or so, it would ease my mind. Again, don't do anything that puts you out and I appreciate that fact you're offering in the first place. Thank you.

Michael

Siddow

Registered
Reaction score
600 pages!

Sure, no problem stopping in. I can see your concern with the quote being low. That's a big book! I'll check out the quality and get a quote for ya, spend my day playing secret agent, lol.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .the quote was approximately $7 a book for a 100 book order. I thought this price was very doable and am currently aiming that way. But I've received no other estimates that low. . . .
Maybe they are hungry for business and have unused capacity.

A friend of mine got bids on a book printing job (much bigger run, and hardback), and got a surprisingly wide range of bids. He took the lowest one (already knew company was reputable, though, as it is on Poynter's list and a long-established company), and was entirely satisfied with the results. FWIW.

But yes, that is a bargain price.

--Ken

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
One of my publishers (small press) uses Bang Printing http://www.bangprinting.com/

for trade paperbacks, perfect bound. They're quick and prompt on their estimates, but it helps to know about paper stock & cover stock so you know what you're getting. The product is a quality book and professional looking.

You might be able to get your 600 page book to fit into 400 printed pages of a trade size, with narrow margins and smaller print. That might explain the high prices! Fat books cost more to print.

I've seen nothing against www.morrispublishing.com either, but would like to have a sample of their covers, to see what kind of finish they use. They seem to have a limit of 400 pages per book. Their quote list is on the website, but you have to factor in the cost of the covers, ISBN numbers, copyright registration, and shipping. Of course, you have to do that with ALL printers/graphic companies.

And I'm now working with a guy I've known for a dozen+ years www.lonestarpublishing.net who just bought his own graphics company to print his titles and that of others. One side of the business is printing, they have the machine for it, the other is a small press publisher. They're expanding next January with a new printing machine that will lower print costs and adding in a Sci-Fi imprint to the publishing side.

I've found working direct with a printer/graphics company is MUCH less costly per book than going to a vanity house or Lulu.

Also--they HATE MS word or any other kind of Microsoft word-processing. Apparently it doesn't translate to their printing software and makes tons of formating errors. (Fonts suddenly jump from 12 point to 36 point bold and so on.)

ALL of them prefer software programs like Quark. Or you can convert a Word .doc to a .PDF file. (After much proofreading!)

They will not accept Word-anything, though.

Good luck!

Last edited:

BrokenSword

keeper of the Flame
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Gillhoughly;

thanks for all the info and I went and contacted Bang printing for an estimate. The email I received back says my project is not a good fit for their equipment. Sort of strange but it must be the number of pages as everything else is standardized. Ah well, I'll wait for 007 1/2, undercover agent Siddow's report!

Thanks again.

Michael

Siddow

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Axess is definitely legit. A woman named Brandy gave me a tour of the facility and a copy of a book. Very professional. I see no problems here. I did not get a quote, but I think if you confirm cost before placing your order, you'll be fine. Plus, you have an agent on the ground if you run into any problems, lol.

It was surprisingly closer to my house than I originally thought. Like, five minutes. :)

BrokenSword

keeper of the Flame
Registered
Reaction score
Website
agent Siddow;

Very good, agent Siddow; now dispose of that tape before it disintegrates your lap! Okay, so I still feel MI-1 was the best of the movie lot...

Really, thanks very much. Brandy is the one signing the emails, so that's good to know. And I'm glad you inspected a sample book. The only thing I have going for comparison is the few lulu betas and I was very happy with those. I'll indeed get confirmation and see about getting some ARCs from Axess. Thank you very much for all your effort. I'll get Q to invent you something special for your next mission.

Seriously; thank you.

Michael

BrokenSword

keeper of the Flame
Registered
Reaction score
Website
disappointed and beware

I thought I'd update my experiences with the digital printer Axess. I started with an initial inquiry for a quote in March, had them begin the process the second week of April and to date, still don't have a printable proof in my hands. It's been very disappointing as I think the company is poorly managed with numerous communication and work-related mistakes. I've called repeatedly and now am being given the run around and I don't think this company has much integrity. The mistakes on their part should have been attended to right away instead of so much time going by the wayside. They've already charged half the quote and all I've received is two proofs with glaring errors. I had much better success with only initial input of original PDF text and PDF art for the cover, with Lulu. Problem is, they charge so much for small quantities, I was forced to look elsewhere to get some ARCs and an initial shipment of 100 books.

So, here's a heads up that Axess Printing Solutions is far from professional. They are now ignoring both phone calls and email messages and twice now, my disapproval faxes which never seem to find their way into my file there, despite confirmation slips in my possession. I'll be initiating a cc dispute in hopes of recovering at least some of the money they've charged me so far.

If anyone has a suggestion for such a small order of inital units, probably done by digital printing, I'd appreciate it. My initial quote from Axess was $6.83 per book with a $50 initial set up fee and approximately $50 to ship the books. In all, the units would have cost me $8 or so, and I thought this would allow me to keep the price down from the $20 base cost Lulu was charging me. I find that even though I have 620 pages, that charging more than about $16 would be excessive.

So, I guess this is buyer's beware for those thinking that Axess is someone to deal with. I went searching in Preds and Creds but there wasn't anything dealing with printers, so I asked here. Siddow even scoped out the place for me and though I DID have initial doubts, I felt that this eyewitness gave enough evidence that the place would work out. My mistake.

Thanks for the initial help and hopefully, I'll get some further suggestions of where I could get my novel printed at a more economical price.

Michael

Last edited:

soma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tinianow.blogspot.com
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I've used 48hrbooks.com for small quantities before and while the format options were slightly limited the books came back just fine.

BrokenSword

keeper of the Flame
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thanks

Thanks, Soma, I'll check them out. Funny thing was, I had an initially bad feeling; guess I should have listened to it! Again, thanks.

Michael

guillame

Registered
Reaction score
I had my 1st printing done by Axess printing Solutions and currently have a Delivery issue which has taken 12 weeks and is still not resolved.

I will post when I get this finalizef.

guillame

Registered
Reaction score
Axess printing

Below is a partial list of contacts with Axess.
I have a quote for 400 (approx. 50 page book) with approx 10 pages of color on the inside pages, with full front and back cover. My quote was approx $1000. There were to be 2 deliveries , the 1st 200 were to be perfect bound and the 2nd delivery (more expenive books) were to be coil bound so i could test the market using the lay flat feature of the coil bound books as this book was about music theory.

I was delivered the 1st set of 200 with perfect bound binding and they were quite acceptable. the contacts desribed below were regading the coil bound books.

Bottom line is I have 200 perfect bound books which have doubled in cost as the 2nd set of 200 books were perfect bound and not coil bound, and there was absolutely no color on the inside pages of any of these 200 books.

These 200 books are not usable or saleable as I refer to color charts to describe diferent notes of music.

These are the facts, you decide.

Bill

Home PageAbout UsCapabilitiesPre-PressProduction CapabilitiesFinishingTeachers EditionsOnline ServicesNew ServicesEmploymentContact UsFAQsPartnersTestimonialsPrivacy PolicyFAX To Edward Busse(There was no response to this FAX.)
Axess Printing Solutions

Please help with this probelem

William E Byrne Bsc MSEE MBA JD.
(A paid up customer whose 200 coil bound books have not been delivered.)
See partial history below

Subject Circle 0f Fifths William E Byrne
enail [email protected]
PH 408-206-9849

Call Brandy
check1:1
Brandy Moss Sales
Bill Harris (Brandy's manager?)

2/24/08 I sent Brandy a copy from the 1st batch (200perfect bound Books) and a copy from the 2nnd batch of perfect bound books i just received with no color on the inside. I included a note explainingg how my text references the different colors on a chart.
2/24/08 I called Brandy aand said I received the 200 Books and they were perfect Bound not coiled and absolutely void of color on the inside, I have had no response
2/13/08 I called Bill and they will redo the job and have it out in 2 days

2/13/08 Bill Harris called and L/M ie good news his ceell is 678-456-6985

2/11/08 I called Bill harris and he was aware and will call the company who have my Books and call me tomorrow. I gave Bill my caell PH: #
2/11/08 Called Brandy, I left message asking for a credit, No response
2/9/08 Called brandy re if books shipped . She will have Bill Harris call me in 35 mins from his cell. He never called
2/3/09 emailed Brandy re status of Book shipment, she never replied
1/27/08 Called Brandy, she then talked to her manager. Books will ship next Tuesday 2/3 09, she will call me. Brandy never called. Books were not received
1/13/09 Called Brandy books will ship 1/16/09 Friday
1/6/09 Called Brandy brand said books would ship. I gave her my address and she will call when they ship. Brandy never called
12/17/08 Called Brandy, Brandy said her manager went toi Bindery to see if shippped. She will call. Brandy never called
11/10/08 Called Brandy, Brandy will call Bindery to see if shipped and will advise. Brandy never advised me
11/21/08 Called Brandy Brandy says books will ship Tuesday 11/25/08
11/14/08 Called Brandy, Brandy will call Bimdery to get status and call me. Brandy never called
10/31/08 Called Brandy, Books were returned from Bindery and not bound. Books sent to another Bindery and will ship next week, Books were never shipped.
10/22/08 Called brandy, Remaining batch of Coil Bound Books being done by 3rd party and Brandy thought they were shipped. She will let me know, Brandy never responded.

Contact Us

Contacting Axess is easy and convenient. You can use our online quotation system, or, if you have general questions, click the department that best suits your need.

Contacts:

Axess Printing,LLC
4479 North Industrial Drive
Suite 100
Cumming, GA 30041

Phone: 678.456.6982
Fax: 770.828.0527

Email:

General Information:
[email protected]

Sales Support:
[email protected]

Human Resources:
[email protected]
Home Page All contents copyright 2003 by Axess Purchasing Solutions. All rights reserved. The Axess name, logo, and the graphical user interface of this web site are all trademarks of Axess Purchasing Solutions.