What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I am the queen of used and discount bookstores. For the princely sum of £1.50, I scored a paperback of the first Artemis Fowl book (and what a beautiful glittery cover that is) and a hardback of The Pain Merchants by our very own Danthia. Looking forward to reading. :D

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fragile Eternity - Melissa Marr.

I'm liking this series much more than I thought I would. I tend to be a contemporary YA junkie, reading little else. When I finished book 2 today though, I moved straight on to book 3. :)

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I burned through Glass House by Rachel Caine, the first book in the Morganville Vampires series.
I have to say, it was really good, a different approach to the whole Vampire phenomenon.
Now I'm read The Dead Girls Dance, the second one. So far so good.

Linds

Can't Touch This, Stop, Query Time!
Registered
Reaction score
I am very late on this particular band wagon. I just finished The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Which I liked, but personally, I don't know for me if it was worth all its hype.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Matched yesterday. So despite the fact that the world she creates in completely unbelievable, I did enjoy it. I think maybe it was the feeling of everything being so unjust and the idea of always being watched that heightened my interest in the book.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Kissing Kate by Lauren Myracle--it was an enjoyable quiet little book. Two girls in a really conservative town kiss and then avoid dealing with the consequences.

Now reading Gone per the advice of the forum--so far feels more like MG but we'll see. It's a fast read anyways.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Finished the Dead Girls Dance by Rachel Caine. I really enjoyed, and now I with I had the other ones!

I made the mistake of picking up a book in my discount bin at Chapters, I read the blurb, it gave me the impression it was the first in the series. Started reading, and I was like WTF is going on? So I went online turns out I just bought the second book in the series, so... needles to say, I am outta books again, dammit.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Burning For Revenge, #5 of the Tomorrow series. This one was really fast paced and hard to put down. Not all of them have been wonderful, but it's been worth it to get to this one.

Started The Knife of Never Letting Go last night. The first chapter is pretty funny, though I am a bit confused. And geesh, it's long. May take me more than my usual 2 days to get through it.

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Loved Red Glove by Holly Black. Sequel to White Cat, but avoids 2nd book pitfalls. I felt smart and was tricked at the same time.

Full review here

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about a third of the way through THE ICARUS GIRL by Helen Oyeyemi and it's an interesting book, very literary and with some beautiful scenes but I'm not totally grabbed by it. The 8 year old protagonist is very precocious in some ways, but rather naive in others and I'm having difficulty in reconciling it. But I do love the depiction of Nigeria and Nigerian culture and how it subtly clashes with British culture and values.

MM

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
I finished America Pacifica by Anna North...so so.
I did like Pastworld by Ian Beck.
The Other Side of the Island was also so so.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm reading Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison. I had to go back to chapters since I accidentally bought the sequal the other day. And I just can't read books out of order :)
This is a good book, but she's killing me with descriptions, and lots of it. It's getting a little annoying. I also think her dialogue tags are irritating. She tends to add them when they don't need to be there.

Santini

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished You Killed Wesley Payne by Sean Beaudoin.

Ultimately enjoyed it, but have to admit that flipping back and forth between the story and glossary (if I had no context for a new slang term) killed the flow and hampered the initial enthusiasm I had for the book when I picked it up. Once I stopped flipping and just rolled with it, things got better.

Anacry

Registered
Reaction score
The "Warriors" series by Erin Hunter
"Ranger's Apprentice", I don't remember who wrote it.

I've been tempted to check out Hunger Games, but the title turns me off.
And I want to read Pendragon, but I'm going to finish the above series first.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Started The Dem0n's Surr3nder by S4rah Ree$ Brenn@n last night (it came out in the UK before the US) and so far I'm 100 pages in and loving it. Sin is awesome.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Reading Early to Death, Early to Rise by Kim Harrison, it's the second it the series.
I'm liking this one less. It's an interesting concept for sure, but I'm getting too annoyed with the excessive description. And I like to know what the MC is thinking (It's First Person) but same thing, it's overkill to me.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Started The Dem0n's Surr3nder by S4rah Ree$ Brenn@n last night (it came out in the UK before the US) and so far I'm 100 pages in and loving it. Sin is awesome.

Yessss. Loved. :LilLove:

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading What Happened to Goodbye.

I love Sarah Dessen. She's always been a huge inspiration to me, and she's one of the reasons I started writing YA. She's a talented writer. BUT...I am starting to get tired of her formula. Her books are comforting to me because they are similar and familiar. I know what I'm going to get when I start one of her books. She writes great boys, smart dialogue, and interesting, quirky characters. Her narrators, however, seem to be mostly the same. Act the same, think the same, speak the same. Boring.

I'm growing a little tired of her heavy-handed writing. I'd love to see her to try something different, but I doubt she will because her formula works and sells books.

It feels almost blasphemous saying all this because I'm such a big fan and I love her so much.

RHuszar

Time is a gift.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of The Ask and The Answer by Patrick Ness, the second book in the Chaos Walking series. These are seriously some of the most interesting, and terrifying, books I've ever read.

Status
Not open for further replies.